What jobs do you do??

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm looking to change my job in the near future if I can find something else suitable! I currewirk full time, 7.30 am til 4pm. Been there 17 years. Its ok in summer but now I have a horse that won't go out in winter I'm struggling with these hours. I am hoping to get a job flexi time working from home but if that becomes impossible I need to find something else!! Having been out of the job market for 17 years im struggling to find flexi hours or jobs that start earlier and finish earlier or start later and finish later so I have some daylight with the horses in winter . Would do factory work if absolutely necessary but really don't want to!!

Spotherisk

Visit site
You can search on Indeed for home based work, which might work for you?

Jobs which I’ve had which have worked are self employed driving instructor, self employed feed merchant, parish clerk, and the old favourite, multiple part time jobs.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I WFH (one-two days in the office a month when allowed bavck) with flexi-time in finance sector.

Generally, I do two late starts & one early finish so still get daylight three times a week in winter.

I didn't start like this but as the role/company has evolved, it's worked well with horses!

A lot of office based jobs will be offering more flexibility these days I'd imagine.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I work from home.
Decorating whatever people will pay me to paint, and l also make custom riding skirts.

Hello! Long time no see, I hope you’re well.

OP, I work for an NHS Foundation Trust. I take my job very seriously and work long hours but I work whenever I like, and take breaks whenever I like. It’s very flexible.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I was a civil servant for many years and can attest to the benefits of flexi time. However, I had to get out in the end because the organisation was driving me mad. I began working for myself and did much longer hours but, again, I could work flexibly to suit myself, up to a point.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm a consultant bid coordinator / manager in the construction industry. I work full time from home at the moment and I think the max I will need to go into the office (usually a client office) will be 2 days a week when things go back to normal. I have quite a bit of flexibility around meetings etc. but work long hours as my work is deadline-driven.

I have one horse on DIY - I ride and do all jobs early morning, home for 9am, then my horse is brought in for me (paid), then I go back to feed and put to bed at about 6.30pm.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm a document controller, I work for whatever agency finds me work but I stipulate the hours I'm prepared to do which are usually anytime between 7 - 7.30am - 3.30pm - 4pm. I never work later than 4pm unless by my own choice in order to increase my weekly pay (in agreement with the client).

I work on construction sites in a portacabin (some are better than others) but I love the fact there are no bitchy women around as I much prefer working in an all male environment. Currently I work 7.30 - 3.30pm Monday to Thursday with Fridays off although recently I've been going in for a couple of hours a week on a Friday to elevate my pay as I've lost quite a bit due to a complicated HMRC ruling.

I love the work which is mainly scanning and uploading all the site filing onto a document control system. I also help out with induction paperwork, and scanning the lads fingers for the biometric turnstile. I do the usual stationary and PPE order, and on some of the contracts I've worked I've been tasked with more in depth things like accident reporting and site waste management reporting, Social Value performance, KPI's and preparing all the requirements for Considerate constructors scheme.

I also do fun things like organise team events/site nights out, run sweepstakes and coffee mornings in order to fulfil our charitable donation requirements.

I've worked for subcontractors (which I find quite boring) and much prefer working for large PC's (principal contractors) as there is more to do and the work is more challenging.
Money wise you can expect to get around £17/£18 per hour agency or £28 - £30k PA if you are lucky enough to be put on the books for a contract, usually 12 months or more.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I second/third civil service, NHS etc type public sector jobs. I never thought of the NHS before someone at the job centre prompted me but have worked in the public and private health service for 16 years now. There are lots of admin roles which do not generally require special qualifications etc but which are often flexible.

My role is mainly data-based which requires a fairly strong understanding of numbers but in our organisation there are other roles which a generally IT literate, well organised and self motivated person could do well at.

i first got into the NHS via a 6 month maternity leave post which turned into a permanent role.. not sure how common they are now but my organisation also recruits from temporary positions so they are worth a go if you see one that catches your eye.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I’m in the Civil Service (military) and honestly it’s a good place to be. Lots of opportunities, and they really look after you. Lots of different jobs with different hours etc, and usually very flexible.
The only thing about it for me is that I’m set on having a business and working for myself, so in that sense I feel unfulfilled? (Not that I have a clue what I’d do yet). But I’m happy where I am until I sort myself out ?

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm a consultant bid coordinator / manager in the construction industry. I work full time from home at the moment and I think the max I will need to go into the office (usually a client office) will be 2 days a week when things go back to normal. I have quite a bit of flexibility around meetings etc. but work long hours as my work is deadline-driven.

I have one horse on DIY - I ride and do all jobs early morning, home for 9am, then my horse is brought in for me (paid), then I go back to feed and put to bed at about 6.30pm.
Having to price a job must be quite a stressful thing. We are nearing the end of the project and people are being laid off or given reduced hours in an effort to save money! I'm waiting for them to reduce mine and then I will be off :(

Tash88

Visit site
Having to price a job must be quite a stressful thing. We are nearing the end of the project and people are being laid off or given reduced hours in an effort to save money! I'm waiting for them to reduce mine and then I will be off :(

I only work on the qualitative part of tenders so I don't get involved in pricing, which is a blessing!

I did the document control on a massive infrastructure project about 5 years ago and found it got really busy towards the end as because other people had been laid off I was taking on their work, so preparing other contract deliverables etc - hopefully you will be kept on to do the same.

I also love working in the construction industry, have worked with plenty of bitchy women who love showing off in front of the boys though!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
It depends on your skill set and expectations for income but there's lots of demand for cleaners who often can charge £15 per hour and you can obviously choose your hours to suit your lifestyle. Also similar for dog walkers.
Spoke to a friend who cleans today, and she is on £15 an hour. With travel etc though not sure i would make more time for riding? Have enquired with a couple of companies today.