What should i do, im gutted.

Asha

Visit site
It makes me wonder if they thought that someone may have seen the dog chasing and decided that they'd better let you know before someone else did.

Do you know what , I think you are right . They have neighbours that also walk their dog in the field ( a lovely bouncy spaniel).
It’s basically one large house that’s been divided into 3. So they all live on top of each other. The closest neighbour to them is the son of the chap we bought the farm off . So we do know him

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wonder if a strand of electric rope dog chest height round your foals field (maybe outside your fence) would help? Just thinking as two of my dogs wont come out in the horses field having got zapped, perhaps it would deter this dog going in?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Re current access for dog walkers to your field. The field is still owned by the farmer although you would like to buy it?

Is there a PROW across it, or does the farmer allow people to walk dogs across it anyway?

It’s whether you can ban the dog access from that field altogether, or whether to insist that the dog is always on a lead if it is legitimately there. After all the previous form this dog had chasing sheep and horses, it should only ever be on lead anyway.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Re current access for dog walkers to your field. The field is still owned by the farmer although you would like to buy it?

Is there a PROW across it, or does the farmer allow people to walk dogs across it anyway?

It’s whether you can ban the dog access from that field altogether, or whether to insist that the dog is always on a lead if it is legitimately there. After all the previous form this dog had chasing sheep and horses, it should only ever be on lead anyway.

I don't think the dog was being walked in one of Asha's fields. I might be wrong but I think the dog was being walked in a farmer's field nearby, left that field and got into one of Asha's fields.

I think the high from chasing the cat will have carried the dog through the shock from the collar.

Fellewell

Visit site
If they're randomly zapping this dog with a faulty collar it's more likely to redirect and go for anything I would have thought.
The RSPCA, KC and other organisations were pushing to ban them, perhaps a case for reporting for cruelty? You could threaten civil action for replacement and distress caused.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
think the high from chasing the cat will have carried the dog through the shock from the collar.
An equine vet I know had one of those e collars with an invisible boundary on his JRT, who liked to wander. Every so often the JRT would get so frustrated at being confined to home that he would sail out over the invisible boundary, yelping as he did so, to go on his travels.

The dog reckoned it was worth a short zap.

Asha

Visit site
I don't think the dog was being walked in one of Asha's fields. I might be wrong but I think the dog was being walked in a farmer's field nearby, left that field and got into one of Asha's fields.

I think the high from chasing the cat will have carried the dog through the shock from the collar.

That’s correct skinnydipper. The field is owned by one farmer but I believe rented out to another farmer . ( possibly why he said he wouldn’t sell yet , maybe a contract in place ) There is no public right of way . The owner of the field allows the neighbours to walk there dogs when the cattle are elsewhere .
My husband had a conversation with the owner of the field and asked him to retract permission to walk this dog in the field . But he’s a non confrontational type so cant see it happening

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm so sorry that you've lost poor Ronnie in such a shocking, and horrible way. I hope his brother Reggie is doing okay.

I'm thinking perhaps better to try to scare them where it really might worry them enough to actually keep their dog on a leash, in their wallet. If you don't get hold of them, write them a letter, and also mention it to any other neighbours you might come across, that even though both your foals, young horses, and remaining cats are invaluable to you when it comes to how much you love them, your horses actually have a bigger real life monetary value. So if their dog gets into your field again, and either causes direct injury to one or several of your horses, and/or the horses gets injuries from getting scared by the dog, you will go after them for the cost of vet visits, potential loss of value etc.
Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to also add something about that if your animals gets injured in the future, and your CCTV reveals that they waited 2-2½ hours before alerting you about what happened, that delay in treatment could result in the injury worsening, and potentially becoming more costly. (This would also let them know that you have indeed been able to see them on your CCTV, and noticed the time discrepancy.)

Even though added extra strands with electricity aren't guaranteed to stop this dog, which presumably have gotten a bit accustomed to getting zapped by its electric collar, one never knows. If you're lucky Asha, and the strand catches the dog straight on the nose, where it's not used to getting zapped, perhaps it could still have effect. I presume it would feel better to be able to at least do something yourself to try to prevent it from happening again, than only having to rely on the hope that the dog owner changes their behaviour.

Whatever you do or don't do, don't forget to take care of yourself after this shock. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Goldenstar

Visit site
They have no control over the dog with or without a shock collar. He should be walked on a lead.
Exactly and she has made an admission to you that the dog is out of control and they attempt to control it using a shock collar and that does not work because of that your cat is dead .
Get the incident logged because if something happens in the future it will help.
I would consider sending them a solicitors letter teeling that you have cctv on the field and the dog must not enter your land if it does you will hold them financially liable for damages and loss .
I think I would try the police again .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OMG how awful. Words can't express how horrible that must have been.

Please report this to the police. Whilst appreciating it isn't a person who has been hurt, the dog is "out of control in a public place" and therefore falls under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Also report to your local dog warden.

And yes, get your local Press involved. No it won't bring Puss back, but this dog needs controlling as it is obviously harbouring aggression which could be directed against say a small child.

So very sorry.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Look, a lot of us have dogs who would chase and kill cats if allowed, myself included. Some of our dogs have killed our own cats and rabbits, through poor handling decisions, in the past. Please stop saying 'it could have been a child' because that's roundly nonsense. Some dogs would, the vast majority wouldn't.

Asha

Visit site
I’ve spoken to the neighbours .

I called around earlier but she wasn’t in , so I left my number .

The lady was in tears apologising , saying she hasn’t been able to think about anything else all day . She was going to muzzle the dog and keep on a lead at all times going forwards .
I said that I need to outline the facts and remove the emotion from the situation. There’s nothing I can do about Ronnie now , what I have to do is think of the safety of my other animals and acknowledge the fact we have a dangerous dog living nearby. Her dogs behaviour has escalated over the years and I simply cannot stand by and wait for something else to happen.

I asked that In addition to the muzzle and the lead she stops walking her dog in the farmers field. She said ok .
I explained that I will be sending a solicitors letter outlining the implications of her dog chasing my foals / horses ( whether muzzled or not ) which is still a risk .
I explained I have incident numbers from the warden, so that there is a formal record of the incident . I asked that she send me her email address so I can send the letter that way . So she’s going to text it to me tonight .

Thank you everyone for your kind messages and your advice . Especially FL & CC as I wouldn’t have thought to send a solicitors letter . I will get that organised in the morning.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’ve spoken to the neighbours .

I called around earlier but she wasn’t in , so I left my number .

The lady was in tears apologising , saying she hasn’t been able to think about anything else all day . She was going to muzzle the dog and keep on a lead at all times going forwards .
I said that I need to outline the facts and remove the emotion from the situation. There’s nothing I can do about Ronnie now , what I have to do is think of the safety of my other animals and acknowledge the fact we have a dangerous dog living nearby. Her dogs behaviour has escalated over the years and I simply cannot stand by and wait for something else to happen.

I asked that In addition to the muzzle and the lead she stops walking her dog in the farmers field. She said ok .
I explained that I will be sending a solicitors letter outlining the implications of her dog chasing my foals / horses ( whether muzzled or not ) which is still a risk .
I explained I have incident numbers from the warden, so that there is a formal record of the incident . I asked that she send me her email address so I can send the letter that way . So she’s going to text it to me tonight .

Thank you everyone for your kind messages and your advice . Especially FL & CC as I wouldn’t have thought to send a solicitors letter . I will get that organised in the morning.
Thanks for updating us x