What should i do, im gutted.

misst

Visit site
I have only just seen this. Well done to you for managing to stay focused in such a traumatic situation. Going forward I really hope this will resolve well for you. RIP Ronnie. Condolences to you x

Asha

Visit site
I'm impressed by your forbearance. I would find it very difficult to keep a civil tongue in my head in such circumstances.
RIP Ronnie.
I’ve had my moments ( behind closed doors) I can assure you , but i just didn’t think losing it with them would solve anything. But taking it down the legal / official route will /should focus their minds.

The look on Ronnies face will stay with me forever . I’ve tried to get justice for him , but sadly the police and the council aren’t interested. I don’t know what else
I could do .

Winters100

Visit site
I’ve spoken to the neighbours .

I called around earlier but she wasn’t in , so I left my number .

The lady was in tears apologising , saying she hasn’t been able to think about anything else all day . She was going to muzzle the dog and keep on a lead at all times going forwards .
I said that I need to outline the facts and remove the emotion from the situation. There’s nothing I can do about Ronnie now , what I have to do is think of the safety of my other animals and acknowledge the fact we have a dangerous dog living nearby. Her dogs behaviour has escalated over the years and I simply cannot stand by and wait for something else to happen.

I asked that In addition to the muzzle and the lead she stops walking her dog in the farmers field. She said ok .
I explained that I will be sending a solicitors letter outlining the implications of her dog chasing my foals / horses ( whether muzzled or not ) which is still a risk .
I explained I have incident numbers from the warden, so that there is a formal record of the incident . I asked that she send me her email address so I can send the letter that way . So she’s going to text it to me tonight .

Thank you everyone for your kind messages and your advice . Especially FL & CC as I wouldn’t have thought to send a solicitors letter . I will get that organised in the morning.
I am so sorry about your cat, what a horrid thing to happen.

Well done for your reaction. It sounds as if you have dealt with this in a very sensible and level headed way. I love dogs, but I simply cannot understand how some owners behave.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You can't do anything else through officialdom. However if I were you, I would put up very visible signs warning that dogs in your field will be shot, even if you don't own a gun. Dogs do not have to actually attack stock to be legally worrying, they can just be running about in the field upsetting the stock, which does not only encompass sheep.

Asha

Visit site
You can't do anything else through officialdom. However if I were you, I would put up very visible signs warning that dogs in your field will be shot, even if you don't own a gun. Dogs do not have to actually attack stock to be legally worrying, they can just be running about in the field upsetting the stock, which does not only encompass sheep.

thats a great idea. i did consider getting my gun licence , but that seems a much easier thing to do. Thanks PAS

Asha

Visit site
thought id give you all a little update.

The solicitors letter is going across today. It took a bit longer than i expected to get it done. In the meantime ive asked around, and it appears the same dog also bit another neighbours dog, resulting in the poor dog having surgery as it had ripped the muscle away from its neck.
I asked the question if i was legally allowed to protect my animals ( shot gun) . Unfortunately, you are only allowed to shoot a dog if its chasing livestock and sadly our horses dont fall into that legal definition. Which is quite frankly disgusting. The letter informs them that we do have CCTV which covers our field and any further trespass on our land by them or there dog will result in court proceedings.

Maybe i should keep a couple of sheep in with the horses

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm so sorry about your cat, it's not nice living with a dangerous dog next door and I completely understand your worries about your foals. And just in case your neighbours plan to continue to use an electric shock collar to control their dog, they are now illegal in the UK.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I'm so sorry about your cat, it's not nice living with a dangerous dog next door and I completely understand your worries about your foals. And just in case your neighbours plan to continue to use an electric shock collar to control their dog, they are now illegal in the UK.

Currently they are only banned in Wales I think. Ban was supposed to come into force February 1 2024 but it hasn't been debated yet.

Clodagh

Visit site
They aren’t illegal here.
OP, I would definitely get a sheep or two, ask a local farmer? You could get a cull ewe or two for very little money. You would need to register a flock number (I think it’s called).
Have you seen it off lead since the incident?

Asha

Visit site
They aren’t illegal here.
OP, I would definitely get a sheep or two, ask a local farmer? You could get a cull ewe or two for very little money. You would need to register a flock number (I think it’s called).
Have you seen it off lead since the incident?

No I haven’t seen it since . But rather worrying is that I was chatting to their next door neighbour today and she mentioned how fed up she was with there dog too , and how shocked that they still haven’t dog proofed their garden and the gate is always open . It’s another accident waiting to happen

Asha

Visit site
I would put a couple of sheep in with your horses but I thought they were broodmares/youngsters, which are livestock. You will need a holding number from DEFRA just so that they know where your sheep are

They are just Youngstock and broodmares but my solicitor confirmed that they are not classed as livestock . This is what she sent me :

Please be aware that the definition of livestock is an animal that is used for meats and farming. Therefore, if the horses are used as studs, recreational or equestrian, you will not be covered by this law.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
They are just Youngstock and broodmares but my solicitor confirmed that they are not classed as livestock . This is what she sent me :
I would check that out with DEFRA/BHS tbh. I read only recently that horses can be considered livestock if they are farmed/kept for breeding or used in farming. I can't remember where I read it though, sorry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I'm not sure your lawyer is right.

“livestock” means cattle, sheep, goats, swine, horses, camelids, ostriches, farmed deer, enclosed game birds or poultry, and for the purposes of this definition “cattle” means bulls, cows, oxen, buffalo, heifers or calves, “horses” includes donkeys and mules, “farmed deer” means deer of any species which are on agricultural land enclosed by a deer-proof barrier and kept by way of business for the primary purpose of meat production, “enclosed game birds” means any pheasant, partridge, grouse (or moor game), black (or heath) game or ptarmigan that are being kept enclosed prior to their release for sporting purposes, and “poultry” means domestic fowls, turkeys, geese or ducks;

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You are posting on a the dog section of the forum. My reply was about dogs.

And I asked a completely reasonable question about whether your ban of electric fencing applies to all species, because if it doesn't I want to know what you think is different about electric fencing for DOGS.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
And I asked a completely reasonable question about whether your ban of electric fencing applies to all species, because if it doesn't I want to know what you think is diffeent about electric fencing for DOGS.

I am sure there are many differences in dog management and horse management. I know nothing about caring for horses. I do know something about dogs.