What sort of dog is that

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
More than once I have been out with mum's cockers and overheard people confidently assert to their companion that they are American cockers, don'tcherknow. Um, no.

My neighbour made me laugh the other day when she saw me out with the schip for the first time, she asked what he was because 'I know he's a something, he's got that look about him!' I wasn't quite sure if it was a criticism or a compliment. :p

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Love it!
We often have people comment (usually kids, in fairness) on the Dalmatian, when walking the German Pointer.
And new pup (Border Terrier X Jack Russell) probably just looks like a substandard BT to people!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
very few people know what Fitz is which is a shame, being a Scottish breed and all. Actually quite a few people are wrong about Quarrie, one bloke insisted I'd been conned as he was obviously a lab cross and not a goldie.

Karran

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel in her summer coat goes very red rather than her usual liver - I did have someone tell me she was a beautiful example of a red setter pup! Eeerr no!! She's coming up to 5 and very much a WCS!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Having an unusual Red Merle collie, we are often asked what she is; we also have the occasional person disputing it and telling us she's an Australian Shepherd.

My OH likes to make up bizarre breed names, it's quite funny as often people believe us. The Westie is often called a West Sussex Cheese Hound, the collie is usually a Latvian Beer-Hound, or a Dingo Dog. I have no idea why, but it keeps him indoors amused.

deb_l222

Visit site
This is my 'Dalmation' ;)

To be fair she's probably not full springer (bit of setter maybe) but these are not spots, it's just ticking gone mad.

I often get asked if Rufus is full springer because he has a big pointer type head. Yes of course he is, that's how a springer's head is actually supposed to be, is my usual reply. Not the pointy nose, long legged beasts people have a tendency to breed these days.

55FBE1E9-CDB2-4E34-9211-2FD3AA395F7E.jpg

pippixox

Visit site
I get asked if my yellow lab (who was bought by original owners from a breeder and looked like an Andres puppy back then) is a young dog (he’s 3 so fully grown) or a cross breed, because he is a bit smaller than average and a lot skinnier than average (I know some people have fit and/or working labradors but sadly there seem to be mostly obese ones)
No this is what Labrador’s can look like when fit and healthy thanks!

BBP

Visit site
Having an unusual Red Merle collie, we are often asked what she is; we also have the occasional person disputing it and telling us she's an Australian Shepherd.

My OH likes to make up bizarre breed names, it's quite funny as often people believe us. The Westie is often called a West Sussex Cheese Hound, the collie is usually a Latvian Beer-Hound, or a Dingo Dog. I have no idea why, but it keeps him indoors amused.
I had loads of people asking if mine was an Australian shepherd and kept saying no, he’s a border collie (hadn’t even heard of Aussies) Then I looked into his pedigree and saw he does have an Aussie grandparent, so pretty close. And now looking at photos of Aussie shepherds I can see them in him.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was asked if my littermates were smooth collies. The lady was very insistent. I think they look very typical of the breed although they’re overly tall at 21 inches (IMO) When Bear cut his pad late on Christmas Eve and I popped him to the emergency vet, she hoicked him-with difficultly-onto the table and exclaimed ‘He’s a big cocker.’ Bonkers.

My ‘cocker’:
1548269840532.jpeg

Morag4

Visit site
I have had numerous people in the past ask me "what is that?" (Usually with a look like they have poo under their noses) while pointing to my darling wee True hairless Crestie ( now sadly departed). My reply..., 'wow what you don't recognise a cat?'
To those that were genuine in their interest and polite I bored them ridgid with an explanation of the breed.

millikins

Visit site
Labradoodles are so common in my neck of the woods that my standard poodle is rarely identified correctly. It does work both ways though, I once complimented a couple oh their handsome "crossbreed" who looked very like my late Rottie/long hair GSD cross to be told very sniffily that he was a leonberger :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Leonbergers are quite rare though! Actually so are standard poodles, I almost never see them. I met a pair of Irish water spaniels the other day that I mistook for standard poodles 😳😳

deb_l222

Visit site
Leonbergers are quite rare though! Actually so are standard poodles, I almost never see them. I met a pair of Irish water spaniels the other day that I mistook for standard poodles 😳😳

There's a lady in the next village who breeds large Munsterlanders. Beautiful dogs they are but I bet she gets fed up of people asking what her 'springers' are crossed with :rolleyes:

Widgeon

Visit site
I was asked if my littermates were smooth collies. The lady was very insistent. I think they look very typical of the breed although they’re overly tall at 21 inches (IMO) When Bear cut his pad late on Christmas Eve and I popped him to the emergency vet, she hoicked him-with difficultly-onto the table and exclaimed ‘He’s a big cocker.’ Bonkers.

this made me laugh SO much. Perhaps your cocker was overfed as a puppy

monte1

Visit site
There's a lady in the next village who breeds large Munsterlanders. Beautiful dogs they are but I bet she gets fed up of people asking what her 'springers' are crossed with :rolleyes:
My dog groomer has three large Munsterlanders, they are fabulous dogs :)

Last edited:

monte1

Visit site
I have WCS, Springer and a Lab . my Lab is out of working stock- looks like the fox red variety- (although not paperered-pure gamekeeper bred) and very fit and lean- I often get people saying how lovely she is then they ask what breed :)

Attachments

• Ayla.jpg
    Ayla.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 17

Clodagh

Visit site
I have WCS, Springer and a Lab . my Lab is out of working stock- looks like the fox red variety- (although not paperered-pure gamekeeper bred) and very fit and lean- I often get people saying how lovely she is then they ask what breed :)

Handsome. :). I must admit, our 19kg lab (on the right of my pic) looks like a whippet cross even to us!