What sort of dog WOULD you have?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Something spitzy, maybe even a shiba inu? Definitely nothing little. I like Salukis, but I think recall can be iffy. I think I’m a bit stuck on springers, I’d quite like a show one. I might be persuaded to have a tri cocker.

I wouldn’t more than two at a time, one for each of us. A mate has 13 and I just think I’d rather give one or two dogs a lot of attention if they’re not workers.

Moobli

Visit site
I get my border collie/sheepdog fix from OH so I’ll just stick to working line GSDs.
I occasionally hanker for a Kelpie or a Malinois or Dutch Herder but nothing beats a WL GSD for me, so I’ll just have a whole team of them ?

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
I'm on my 3rd rottie x, love them so a few more of them
A blond rough coated lurcher with black rimmed eyes.
A borzoi, may be a model one, love their looks but not sure they have a great temperament.
Anything that's not aggressive but needs a second chance.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
There isn't a kind of dog alive that I couldn't love. They're all wonderful. Out of choice, I tend to have dogs that are perceived as friendly by the general public and that can be trained to have good recall in all situations. Don't want the hassle of not having a go-anywhere, do-anything dog. That said, I have had a wonderful staffie just because she needed a home.
Top of my list though, are collies. They're just so damn smart and seem to be born trained. Taking my rough collie for a walk is a pleasure, she makes people smile, they love to stroke her and introduce their children to her. She's usually known as Lassie or The Happy Dog.

buddylove

Visit site
Next on the list is definitely a Border Terrier, I don't think I could imagine a house without some kind of terrier in it now. I also have a hankering for an Australian Shepherd, a merle with blue eyes, I think they look fabulous and my first ever dog was a red and white border collie and she was an amazing dog.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think I must be the exception here, whilst I like and admire many other breeds I am really happy with what I have, GSD and Lancashire heeler. I also wouldn't want too many even though I have the space. I have been in the position of having quite a lot more dogs than I have now and with absolutely the best will in the world I don't think I could give a lot of dogs the same attention as mine have now. eg all sitting with me in the evening , chucking them in the car to go for a swim etc. I am tentatively on waiting lists for another heeler pup but even adding one little dog into the mix I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing.

palo1

Visit site
After reading a book called Karmenka I've always had a yearning for a Borzoi.

When I was at school our 'school dog' was a Borzoi :) :) She was so lovely that I have always wanted one myself. A friend of mine has one now, of which I am mildly envious though they are ENORMOUS!! I would, however, need 2 or 3 as well as a country estate on which to run them freely...

Apart from Borzois, I adore my Irish terrier so another one or two of those would be lovely! I love English bull terriers so could happily add one of those to the list (but probably not 2) and, actually, a lovely spaniel of some kind and possibly one or two of those fabulous Grande Bassett Griffon Vendeens. I would have a funny looking pack of dogs for sure but there would be no situation in which at least one dog couldn't have an interest!! :) :)

Great thread!! :) :)

windand rain

Visit site
I would have a newfoundland if my house was big enough they are the very best dogs to own love lying around, don't eat huge amounts once grown and the kindest dog in the world. I will have to dream on though as my house barely fits the Beautiful Labrador we have so if we lost her it would be a goldie or labrador or possibly a springer

Moobli

Visit site
I think I must be the exception here, whilst I like and admire many other breeds I am really happy with what I have, GSD and Lancashire heeler. I also wouldn't want too many even though I have the space. I have been in the position of having quite a lot more dogs than I have now and with absolutely the best will in the world I don't think I could give a lot of dogs the same attention as mine have now. eg all sitting with me in the evening , chucking them in the car to go for a swim etc. I am tentatively on waiting lists for another heeler pup but even adding one little dog into the mix I keep wondering if I am doing the right thing.

I feel the same. I do have time and space for more if I really wanted them and have had more in the past but my ideal number is two really. I browse other breeds occasionally but nothing beats a GSD for me ?

Last edited:

Moobli

Visit site
I would have a newfoundland if my house was big enough they are the very best dogs to own love lying around, don't eat huge amounts once grown and the kindest dog in the world. I will have to dream on though as my house barely fits the Beautiful Labrador we have so if we lost her it would be a goldie or labrador or possibly a springer

Are Newfies really smelly? The ones I’ve met are but they might not be representative of the entire breed.

palo1

Visit site
Are Newfies really smelly? The ones I’ve met are but they might not be representative of the entire breed.

We had a small (!) pack of newfies at home when I was in my early teens through to my late 20's. They are really sweet dogs but yes, no matter what we did they were pretty smelly - usually because they are desperate to spend time in water (including foul, stagnant pond water!), they have huge, thick coats, obviously, so take ages and ages to clean/dry and they produce literally vast quantities of saliva which has the same qualities as gorilla glue...We found them to be much,much better when kept in a very cool environment which, for my dad, meant spending loads of time with all the doors in the house open. They were delightful personalities but I would never actually want to keep one myself. Too big, too much hair and drool and sadly quite a few health problems.

BBP

Visit site
I don’t really think I’m a dog person, I adore my own dog but don’t really look at other people’s dogs and wish I had them. However, if I was to get another (and felt compentent to take on the training) I would have..

Border collies, despite current one being a challenge in some ways, for me they are still the most incredible breed.

German shepherds (but only like Moobli’s, I think they are just stunning)

palo1

Visit site
I have to say that I have never enjoyed a dog's personality more than my Irish terrier's though I adored the gentle sweetness and clowning of various sight and scent hounds over the years. If I had to be reasonably sensible I think I would probably have just those couple or three Irish terriers and a couple of sighthounds (possibly a borzoi or a more manageable lurchery/greyhound thing). The thought of that is blissful actually!! :) :)