What sort of horse owner are you??

Ella19

Visit site
Bit of leisure and a bit obsessive. Most my friends are horsey as my job is long hours so my own time is limited and spent with my horse.

Shadow-01

Visit site
Leisure & pleasure, although I do spend alot of time at the yard (it's at my good friends house & usually pop in for a cuppa so spend even more time there!)

More competitions in the summer so ride almost every day then to keep him fit, but more because I enjoy it. Of course doing well is a bonus :))

During winter, we both enjoy a bit of time off!

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
I'm the now slightly less obsessed competition rider who doesn't compete (there's always one :D) I keep my boy competition fit for as much of the year as possible. We train hard together but still have fun. He's not wrapped up in bandages all the time, we go hacking for hours, swimming in the river etc. We don't have any transport though so only go to shows a couple of times throughout the year when we can either hack there or share a lift with someone. I go to see him everyday and look after him to the best of my ability and put all my earnings into his care and well-being :)

Amaranta

Visit site
Somewhere between obsessive and competition. Clearly, any one who knows me will vouch, competing is my life, but even if I couldn't compete - and due to health issues this time will come - I would 'need' to be surrounded by horses. Can't live without them.

I think I am an obsessive/competition too, and like you, I could not be without them even if I could not ride :)

supaspot

Visit site
Im an obsessive collector with 26 miniature horses ( soon to be 28) , although I dont work and am lucky enough to be at home all day I live and breathe horses and talk of nothing else and youre right ...all my friends are into horses too
oh and I suppose Im a BIT competitive too , I show quite a bit and was lucky enough to win The Supreme Grand Champion of Ireland 2011 , All-Ireland Champion Stallion 2011, All-Ireland Champion Foal of 2011 and Reserve All-Ireland Champion Gelding ( and UK AMHS Honour Roll Champion too )

Last edited:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Lol.

There are the "obsessive" types, who live and breath and talk nothing but horses. They are at the stables every spare minute either riding, mucking out or doing other bits but have no life or friends outside the horsey world. - My work mates are likely fed up of me as they heard all about my ponies move and how they behave etc.

Then there's the dedicated and ambitious "competition crew" These types are highly competitive and live to show and compete, if they couldn't they wouldnt keep a horse. The horse is a working animal not a pet (although this does NOT mean they don't care for it!!) These guys train everyday regardless of weather conditions!

There's the leisure and pleasure riders, these see their horse everyday, but dont feel guilty if they dont ride for a few days They tend to hack, do lessons and take part in local RC comps through the summer - going for a social and gossip session is seen as more important than winning!! I see my ponies every day, don't always ride but I do hack a lot and the ponies always take more time to do due to my yakking with other owners :D

Am I allowed to put myself in 2 categories depending on my mood and where I am :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Obsessive with elements of competitive. Live, sleep and breathe horses, all good free time is spent there, though I do have outside friends and interests, nothing much compared to horses. I like competing, though I've not done much over winter, but that is all about to change :D

Amy567

Visit site
Leisure a pleasure crossed with competing.

I do have horses for the sake of having a horse (2 shetlands atm) so don't think they are purely for work and do have them for not competing, when I have a horse, I tend to do PC/RC and BSJA and ride 5-6 times a week, though if I can't ride for a few days, I don't have a panic attack :p I love hacking too, so if my horse can't compete due to me not having ridden her to feel she's fit enough to do the 2-3 classes of jumping, then I am more than happy to hack out for a couple of hours :D

However, am technically horseless atm as I'm at uni :( and my mare that I gave to my sister is up for sale :( so I won't even have a chance to ride properly over summer, not even once :(

Technique

The funny farm, where life is beautiful all the ti
Visit site
I don't fall into any of those categories, I used to be competitve in my youth, but business then pleasure owner would better describe me. My folks breed to sell, I used to ride what they bred, but now my brood mare is just enjoying retirement, her daughter that I retained is waiting to go into work and her grandson is going to be sold this year, hopefully to a good showing home.

Neburu

Visit site
I fall into the obssessive type only have a few friends, only see one often the other a few times a year and my other friend when the weather picks up we hack out. All of above friends I have only met through horses. :eek:

I'm always up the yard be it sat watching them or finding something to do up there.

I can talk horses all day too :p

Piglet

Visit site
I am definitely the pleasure/leisure breed, I have a life outside horses, an unhorsey wingey husband puts pay to becoming obsessive!!!

ApolloBaby

Visit site
Im sure my OH would have me in the obsessive camp but Im firmly in the leisure/pleasure camp. I love doing things with my horse, love us learning and growing as a partnership but want to enjoy my riding and have fun with him - if I dont feel like jumping I wont and we will enjoy a relaxing but fun hack instead - I do have a rather nasty competitive streak that pops up during jump offs though - must be my competition side getting out for a bit :D

Ditto that, and add in that I love my big red fella more than is legal in 32 countries. Try to see him every day (lives 5 mins from my house) and he's the tonic for the stresses of my career, which I love but it can get to me. There's nothing like the smell of horse and the sound of haylage being munched to melt away tension.

X

xspiralx

"Competitive" type - although at the moment I don't get to do that much competing. Nor do I own actually, but I do get horses sent to me for 'bootcamp' schooling quite regularly.

Obviously the horses are sent to me for a purpose which is to be schooled - but that is what I like to do anyway - I school pretty much every day, whatever the weather, with the aim of producing horses for competition.

I do care about the horses but definitely they are there to do a job, and I tend to do what needs doing and then leave - rather than spending all day at the yard.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
You've left off Internet Forum horse person. You can tell this type easily. Horse spends 2 months in shoes, 2 months barefoot, carrot sticks appear but they mix and mingle so you will also find a dually halter about as well. Beet pulp one week, no beet the next. Haylage is great, no better switch to hay. Vet appointments for every little thing complete with a printout of what owner thinks it is. And so on and so on.

Me I'm a mix of the top 3, ob, comp, and leisure!

Terri

Spotsrock

Visit site
I'm cross between obsessive and collector. I have 5 but one is having one last summer (it will be her 4th last summer) at 32. 2 are for sale. I am trying! Lol

Arizahn

Visit site
Leisure/pleasure: I aim to compete at a small level someday, but TBH just spending time with the Hippo is enough:D

Dab

Visit site
Great thread OP, made me think...

I was initally going to say out right Obsessive but then realised i have a fair few friends who are totally unhorsey and wont tolerate me wittering on about my 4 legged friends! and even my horsey friends don't wont to talk just horse! Therefore i am forced to step outside of the horse world socially and professionally.

So in truth i'm a wanna be Obsessive, and would prefer to spend all of my waking hours doing horsey stuff and talking horsey stuff with a good mixture of competition and leisure riding thrown in for good measure.

Is that wrong! :eek:

irishdraft

Visit site
Definatley obsessive, dont really compete but hunt every week throughout the season, all my friends are horsy apart from my husband !!

Starbucks

Visit site
Definitely not obsessive!!

Probably leisure and pleasure except for I hunt and like to compete but don't take it very seriously! My horse is not a pet though and if I couldn't hunt/compete, I probably wouldn't keep a horse.

Visit site
I think I am a cross between Obsessive/Leisure and Pleasure (and not Competitive as such but Hunting Enthusiast!)

I go to the yard every single day (it's very rare that I miss a day) and spend all of my free time at the yard either riding or just being with my horses. I also work with horses so I spend pretty much all day, every day with them. Just about all of my friends are horsey, and we enjoy going out for long hacks and chatting endlessly for hours about horses and everything else too!! :D I absolutely love hunting (as does one of my horses!) Although, if my horse was unable to hunt anymore, I would never sell him as I love him too much. :) (I would probably look at borrowing a horse to go hunting on though so that I could still get my adrenaline fix!! :rolleyes: ;)