What the..?!?!

Damnation

Visit site
What a horrid lady, the picture was taken on public property, I am not sure there is anything the owner can actually enforce... I hope he goes to the police regarding those PM's.

Absolutely Vile behaviour from a grown adult.

wills_91

Visit site
A photo of my shetlands went viral (will try and find it) only thing that annoyed me about it was the photographer commented what the had been feeding them despite signs up all along my field asking for them not to be fed!

madlady

Visit site
She really needs to get a life!

A picture of one of mine (taken at a show) was put on a calendar, it was also turned into a painting by the photographer and sold - I was just chuffed it was my boy and purchased a stunning copy of the painting which now sits on my wall.

MargotC

Visit site
First of all by the sounds of it, and reading the "communication", it seems to me this has been incredibly poorly handled by the owner. She could have worded a polite explanation for why she was upset.

However, I will be going against the grain here, and say that I understand why someone would be uncomfortable with people photographing their horse or animal without permission. It doesn't seem right to me regardless of what the law says (or doesn't say) on the matter. I wouldn't just walk up and photograph someone's dog either. People can have their reasons for not wanting publicity.

I do however wonder if them simply taking a photo but not entering (and winning) a competition would have sparked the same reaction. Somehow I doubt it.

sarahann1

Visit site
What a horrible, grumpy trout of a women!! I'd be delighted if my horses happened to help folk win a holiday under these circumstances.

One of mine currently features in a Savills property brochure, should I contact them for compensation?! Both my boys have been painted without my express permission, should I sue the artist?! Obviously I'm being sarcastic, I shared the property brochure on FB proud as punch my horse features and bought 3 paintings and a print from the artist, flattered my horses are considered bonny enough to paint. :D

teapot

Visit site
However, I will be going against the grain here, and say that I understand why someone would be uncomfortable with people photographing their horse or animal without permission. It doesn't seem right to me regardless of what the law says (or doesn't say) on the matter. I wouldn't just walk up and photograph someone's dog either. People can have their reasons for not wanting publicity.

Sadly it's one of the risks you take if your animals are next to public rights of way. Think how many livestock photos there are that you see dominating photography competitions. Granted most sheep look identical from a distance but I can't see a farmer objecting to someone taking a photo of one of their many flocks for example. I also think in this case that if the horse does many funny faces on a regular basis, next to a public footpath, there are probably hundreds of photos of it doing so.

The sad thing is that had they not won the competition, the family would just have a fun photograph of the Dad and son, and the owner would have been none the wiser. I wonder whether it would have ever been a story had a £2000 holiday not been involved...

MargotC

Visit site
The sad thing is that had they not won the competition, the family would just have a fun photograph of the Dad and son, and the owner would have been none the wiser. I wonder whether it would have ever been a story had a £2000 holiday not been involved...

This was my thoughts too. And that is why it seems so petty. It is certainly not about opposing the publicity bit, since she went and made her name known over it.

I personally would have been more upset at the existence of a photo somewhere online and not the contest result (which in itself is awesome), were it my horse. I realise I sound precious about it. Taking photos to me is the same as interacting with the horses without permission, petting them and feeding them etc. I just want to be in control of what goes on with mine and that includes knowing where pictures can be found, and what pictures can be found. Now if people politely ask, I might be inclined to say yes. I just see the asking for permission bit as a general courtesy.

But what an overreaction.

swilliam

Visit site
One of mine is in a property brochure showing what a lovely view there is out of the widow - it didn't cross my mind to object!

pippixox

Visit site
if it was my horse i would be sharing the great photo with my friends! maybe say they can bring the helpful pony a bag of carrots to say thanks!

my horses are near a footpath and i would rather people appreciated them and took a picture, rather than being nasty like some horrible people out there.

happyclappy

Visit site
One of mine is in a property brochure showing what a lovely view there is out of the widow - it didn't cross my mind to object!

Mine too, and it is a property I want to buy too! My land but someone elses house.

I digress, this is pure sour grapes, jealousy, wanting the money. I believe it is perfectly legal, and I know that many photos of my horses, donkeys and dogs have spread across the internet with no permission or say-so from me. Does it matter, unless there is anything nasty being said? Where hre is now, about her not her horse!

Annagain

Visit site
Sadly it's one of the risks you take if your animals are next to public rights of way. Think how many livestock photos there are that you see dominating photography competitions. Granted most sheep look identical from a distance but I can't see a farmer objecting to someone taking a photo of one of their many flocks for example. I also think in this case that if the horse does many funny faces on a regular basis, next to a public footpath, there are probably hundreds of photos of it doing so.

It sounds like she thought it was £2,000 cash and she wanted half. Some people are so greedy. Regardless of the subject, copyright of the photo remains with the photographer (in this case the 3yr old son, apparently!) so she has no claims whatsoever to any prize the photo wins....and as they were on a public right of way they can take a photo of whatever they want. She doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Goldenstar

Visit site
She really needs to get a life!

A picture of one of mine (taken at a show) was put on a calendar, it was also turned into a painting by the photographer and sold - I was just chuffed it was my boy and purchased a stunning copy of the painting which now sits on my wall.

I would just hate hate that .

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The stuffy owner & her father give horse owners a bad name. She's just plain jealous. Any normal person would ave been pleased for the guy & his son. She's making a fool of herself!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Utterly ridiculous. If she had known about it she could have won.

If I had known the lottery numbers I could have won that too!

To be honest the horse does nothing for me anyway the guy and his son look lovely without her stupid big donkey shoving it's oar in 😂

MargotC

Visit site
I had a good chuckle at myself in the shower as I have come to the conclusion my gut reaction here was rather unreasonable.

Yes, I would be quietly disappointed I hadn't been asked for permission if I was the owner, but that'd be the end of it. I wouldn't say anything and I wouldn't go public with it. I would just move on.

I am also somewhat of a hypocrite as I have myself taken a few shots of "newly hatched" baby Highland Cattle calves. We know the owner but I didn't ask permission. My heart just melted going along the road and I had to stop. So I suppose that isn't very different from taking photos of a cute horse you come across, it's just that I (we) think of horses a bit more like family members so my initial instinct was thinking that it was more invasive.

I also think it is adorable that a dad and a son takes a horse selfie. We need more men like that in the hobby. :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
What an absolutely miserable old baggage of a woman!

Gosh I'd be thrilled to bits if one of my nags helped someone win a holiday. What a world we live in!

HashRouge

Visit site
Utterly ridiculous. If she had known about it she could have won.

If I had known the lottery numbers I could have won that too!

That bit cracked me up! What a ridiculous argument! Besides, she makes it sound like the only reason they won was because of the horse, but I though the dad and his lovely little boy were what really made it such a nice photo. The horse just adds a bit of comedy!

I honestly can't imagine someone being so miserable about something so tiny. I would be delighted if my horse helped win someone a holiday. I like to think her and her fieldmate are in lots of hikers photos as their field is next to a footpath in a beautiful bit of the countryside.

I really hope they still get to go on the holiday. Honestly, she's contacting Thomson's to complain...what a misery guts!