What to do when there is not turnout HELP!!

maya2008

Visit site
When my TB had to be in one long winter, I put on the walker in the morning (or you could turn out in the school or take for an in-hand walk) then rode in the evening. Our stables had half-height walls so she could groom her neighbour still and feel less alone also. Maybe a mirror for you? Or you could find a sharer who could hack out in the mornings for you and you ride in the evening?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I found a yard which had a small arena close to stabling, I had three ponies including a yearling and when it was icy for six weeks, they were out twice a day, including a session of loose schooling.
I spent time on grooming etc, fortunately I had no work, it took up four hours per day in two shifts. Most of the winter they were out during the day.
Most of the horses in the yard just got stabled or a bit of turnout while the boxes got mucked out, not much fun for horse or teenage owner.
Its not easy to own a horse.

xDundryx

Visit site
I know this is probably what I will do but my is much better ridden only a couple times a week
So his current routine is out every day and only ridden a couple of times a week if I'm reading that right and he's happy/ulcers are sorted. So then completely upending his routine by having him in 24/7 and ridden every day isn't going to work. If the new situation is for a few days or a week you could manage but longer term? A struggle for him and you even if you didn't work or go to school (unsure of OPs age) especially with the short winter days and bad weather. The welfare of the horse has to be priority here.

sarahann1

Visit site
How long is your turnout going to be restricted for? If it’s a few days to let the fields dry up then stick with it. Hang up a few small holes haynets round your stable to encourage your horse to move around. Invest in a treat ball and buy cheap as chips ulcer friendly nuts for it. Walk out in hand as much as you can, in-hand graze while you’re out. Ride far and often.

Apizz2019

Visit site
How long is your turnout going to be restricted for? If it’s a few days to let the fields dry up then stick with it. Hang up a few small holes haynets round your stable to encourage your horse to move around. Invest in a treat ball and buy cheap as chips ulcer friendly nuts for it. Walk out in hand as much as you can, in-hand graze while you’re out. Ride far and often.

Good advice.

My yard has just stopped turning out due to the field being to muddy and dangerous and if they continue to go out we will never have grass again!
I need HELP on how to stop those ulcers coming back and how to keep him happy as he will be in for the foreseeable future HELP!!

But 'forseeable future' sounds like this is the long haul, not just for a few days...

teddy_

Visit site
If this is likely to be an on-going scenario, I would consider moving yards OP.

Additional exercise is only sustainable in the short term. In the longer term, it just should not be acceptable for horses to only leave their boxes for exercise.

If moving yards is really not an option, I would advise you hand graze your horse for as long as you can, daily.

twiggy2

Visit site
If you are dealing with this around a full time job it can be exhausting, you only want to ride a couple of days a week but the horse has no turn out and a history of ulcers.
Walking in hand, long lining, in hand pole work etc are good but you can't just go from stable to school, the horse will benefit from different environments, mental challenges and physically from different surfaces and straight line work.
The horse will turn circles all day in the stable so lunging is just more circles and strain.
If the horse is inly ridden twice a week and is stabled for 22 plus hours a week he will lose muscle and fitness fairly fast so lunging really is not your friend.
In hand grazing for an 45mins to an hr each end of the day is good ( but mind numbingly boring) pay someone to do the same in the middle of the day.
Alternatively graze in hand and walk at one end of the day and ride and graze at the other end, horses in 24/7 should get worked everyday as they have very little else.
To be honest though I would expect a return of the ulcers and the days are short so you will be doing everything in the dark its easier to move yards and give an ulcer preventative diet and treatment for a period of time over the move.
Also am curious as to why the horse is better only ridden twice a week.

teddy_

Visit site
I find it unbeliveable yards won't allow turnout for months on end. To me it's cruel, surely they shouldn't be advertising/selling livery packages if they cannot accomodate a basic need for a horse.
This! I kept mine at a yard that closed the fields (bar one which I can only liken to The Somme, on a steep slope) between end of October and May (!). Needless to say, I did not hang around. This 'management' style deprives them of almost everything natural ?‍?...

Haha123

Visit site
You risk the return of the ulcers in your current set up. Have the yard said how long there will be no turnout for? A few days is manageable, but if you are looking at weeks/months, I would seriously consider moving.
I don’t think it would be months but maybe weeks unfortunately

Starzaan

Visit site
Move yards.
If I had to keep my horses without turnout and had no option to move, I’m afraid I would sell them or loan them out to someone who could. In my opinion it’s absolutely unacceptable. There are people who do well with competition horses kept in, but they exercise them PROPERLY (not just lunging and damaging their joints) twice a day, and they get extensive time hand grazing too. If you can’t do this then move yards.

WaterySun852

Visit site
I'm really confused now, the original post stated "foreseeable future" so I thought around about April time as that's what yards round my area do, shut the fields from October to April but some offer an hours turnout on hardstanding or use of the walker which you pay extra for
I need HELP on how to stop those ulcers coming back and how to keep him happy as he will be in for the foreseeable future HELP!!
But then your most recent post stated weeks, which to me sounded like a month tops
don’t think it would be months but maybe weeks unfortunately

Does your yard have a walker you have access to? Someone else suggested it but you didn't respond to it unless I've missed it (apologies if I have) or does the yard have a paddock that could be sacrificed as a trash paddock? Cos if my initial thought is correct 3 months without turnout is an awful long time

BronsonNutter

Visit site
OP, if you do move yards, speak to your vet about putting your horse on a low dose of gastroguard for a week or so. It will help prevent the ulcers returning if the horse does get stressed with the move. Just half a syringe for a couple of days, then a quarter etc.

^This. Even if you are going to stay at your current yard, maybe speak to your vet about having a low dose of oral omeprazole for your horse to have throughout the period of staying in as a preventative? Quarter of a syringe daily can help in such cases of ongoing stress. It's not cheap, but cheaper than fannying around with various supplements that may not work and the ulcers recurring.

I'm on a yard with no winter turnout - unfortunately live in one of those areas of the country where it is just too wet. 99% of yards in my region shut off their fields for the winter, and those that don't are practically quagmires. My two go for a play together in the sand pens (outdoor) every morning, or if it's really vile they go out in the indoor arena, and on the horse walker most days. I've not been able to exercise them beyond this as I got injured falling off, but if I was able to ride they'd each get long hacks on my days off and schooled or lunged on the other days. They have adlib forage and minimal hard feed, the old boy is perfectly happy with this arrangement, the youngster less so but is coping.

Haha123

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies!! It has now all been sorted and my boy will be going out!! not for as long as I have wanted but long enough. While this is going on I will be giving him a go on the lunge so he can have a run around every day I will also be taking him hand grazing for an 1 /1 and a half every day and I will take him on long backs with canters at least once a week usually twice! And in a couple of weeks he will be going up to the gallops once and week and he will be going hunting Because the days are shorter there is still obviously a risk of his ulcers coming back a few people mentioned putting him on an ulcers “supplement” of sorts do you have any recommendations he is on acid ease already but I’m also going to speak to my vet about this and see if there is anything else we can do!! Thanks