What tried and trusted things do you always go back to?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've used a variety of saddles but always come back to the Thorowgood T4, love them.
Rubber feed buckets in a tyre lol.
Purple spray.
Traditional style riding hats, I just can't deal with the skull cap type.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Another for poly pads and I personally cannot even sit on a horse without a jump whip/bat... I don’t jump generally or use it but I just don’t feel right without it!!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I like Polypads, good enough for Mary King, good enough for me! I have used them for years and years on all sorts of ponies and horses. They make good dog beds when they get a bit frayed around the edges!
I always buy Dermolene shampoo, saddle soap in a bar, Neatsfoot oil, Red Rockies.
I love a poly pad too! Just so easy... and yes, my dogs sleep on them too ?

woof brushing boots, the really cheap simple single locking ones. Love them. I’ve tried to buy better boots but always go back to using the old woof club boots!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I would go back to Dermobion like a shot if it was still available.

I've had synthetic bridles but always come back to leather in the end.

Great idea for a thread.

I still have a pot of it, even though out of date.

1. I have a small pot wormer called Ruby horse wormer which is good for horses who are allergic to ivermectin
2. A general horse supplement called Malcodic Stable
3. Still use it but Equivite, as I have had 6 + horses on it since the 80's
4. Still have some but Jelonet for burns and wounds on horses
5. Polywarm rugs ( still have one)
6. old canvas rug ( still have one)

prob a few more

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Cutting feed and increasing work for naughty horses!
Yes also Clipping according to work to. Ca't stand clipping a horse living out full time take all it's knickers of and body hair and riding it 3 times a week medium work. also
Full clip ears head off and legs, major close clip, and ride, lunge twice a week and compete one day a week, so horse is in this cold weather, no hair on legs and it's got no protection

Cob Life

Visit site
Those rubber over reach boots - cheap and they pull off if they get stepped on and don't trip you up

Udder cream - for me and the horses

Gorilla broom

Loose ring snaffle - if I'm riding in a snaffle i find I tend to ride a lot of horses in a loose ring, the cob I'm riding has come out of a 3 ring gag to a loose ring and is loving it!

maya2008

Visit site
For us:
Horseware rugs
Tea tree
Torsion saddles
Equitex pads
Thorn pads for kids
Shedding blade
Equerry Dandy brushes
Wood pellet bedding on mats if anything is in
Baling twine for everything - substitute for nails to fix fences, make an emergency lead rein or headcollar, once we used it instead of wire as a temporary fence and it did an amazing job!!!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Really enjoying the fit of a secondhand Chaskit New Zealand complete with spider.

My Ideal Grandee saddle which my saddler describes as an excellent model and so often overlooked when compared to more modern styles.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Ist grade English leather bridles made by a master saddler
Rambo Rugs
NZ made Canvas NZ rugs with 100% wool lining
Stubben Haminol

pansymouse

Visit site
I've just rediscovered lampwick girths at my saddlers recommendation - managed to find one in my tack archive but am desperate to get another (that's not white!). It works for better than the array of expensive "technical" new fangled leather ones I've been suckered into buying.

I also use plaited nylon reins as the best option for wet weather - even the rubber ones were getting slithery.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Nappies for wound covering. Nice and big, cheap, readily available and come with handy velcro tabs.
First time was for a shoulder wound the size of a plate, and vet told me I needed to come up with something that would keep it moist and clean, but allow some air to the wound. I pinned the open nappy to the underside of an anti-rub vest.

Nappies have been my go-to ever since.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Girth’s.. I had 2 Harry Dabbs waffle girths for years but when they split I tried a sheepskin girth and a LeMieux one for a change. Took them both back and bought another Harry Dabbs waffle girth, they’re about £50 but well worth the money!

holeymoley

Visit site
My first livery yard- you know what you’re getting and it’s not sugar coated with positives that never materialise

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Canter mane and tail conditioner, I give others a try but nothing compares!
Myler bits for sure as well. Others just don't quite cut it.
Coatex medicated shampoo for crusty legs and mallenders. Tried some gunky manuka honey stuff and went straight back!

J&S

Visit site
"I've just rediscovered lampwick girths at my saddlers recommendation - managed to find one in my tack archive but am desperate to get another (that's not white!). It works for better than the array of expensive "technical" new fangled leather ones I've been suckered into buying."

Is your saddler Kay Humphries? Her home base is Norton and Newby , (google) they sell lamp wick girths. I chose a nice brown one. They are quite expensive but do not be tempted with the cheap ones on Ebay from Australia, they are not nearly as good. Nowadays the buckles are sewn on with a nylon binding, not like the old ones which were attached with leather. I had the buckles come right through the leather on one years ago, at a good gallop!!

Turitea

Visit site
Healing earth made from aeolian silt deposit (Heilerde) - the English expression "healing earth" sounds so esoteric, haha.

Annagain

Visit site
It's not that old but I use Filtabac in almost every minor first aid scenario - even on me! It's brilliant stuff. It's great to both prevent and treat sun-burn, as a soothing cream on any rubs, as a second skin on any minor cuts and it seems to encourage hair to grow back more quickly too. I'm convinced my nails are much stronger in the summer when I'm using it on Archie's nose a lot and in the heatwave of 2018 when I was applying it twice a day they were so good I even had a manicure and nail varnish for the first time ever!

Pippity

Visit site
Diprobase. It's my go-to for anything skin-related, for either me or the horse! I find it works better than sudacrem, and is cheaper. I buy the huge squirty bottles for about £14, and decant into smaller squirty bottles to use at the stables, while the big one stays in my bathroom for me.

Skib

sites.google.com
It is stupid I know - but my Gatehouse HS1 riding hat - It was invented about the time I started to ride and tho it costs a bomb to replace each time I fall, I have such faith in it.

oldie48

Visit site
My favourite trainer who is worth every penny. Tried cheaper ones that are nearer to me and more convenient but they just don't compare!
Red wine and dark chocolate as an antidote to negative thoughts with an added hot water bottle and good book if the weather is cold. I can just add a bit more until I get the required effect.

pansymouse

Visit site
"I've just rediscovered lampwick girths at my saddlers recommendation - managed to find one in my tack archive but am desperate to get another (that's not white!). It works for better than the array of expensive "technical" new fangled leather ones I've been suckered into buying."

Is your saddler Kay Humphries? Her home base is Norton and Newby , (google) they sell lamp wick girths. I chose a nice brown one. They are quite expensive but do not be tempted with the cheap ones on Ebay from Australia, they are not nearly as good. Nowadays the buckles are sewn on with a nylon binding, not like the old ones which were attached with leather. I had the buckles come right through the leather on one years ago, at a good gallop!!

Yes, my saddler is Kay; I'll get her to bring a new one when she next comes. Thanks for the tip off.