What would the right punishment for Ben Maher have been?

cptrayes

Visit site
As I understand it, Ben Maher has had a slap on the wrist for pulling his horse over backwards at the Horse of the Year Show. I saw it, and I was disgusted by it, it was done in temper because the horse refused.

Personally, I would have like to have seen him have a ban that would have taken him out of the next major international competition, making a financial impact on him, his owners and his sponsors.

No hang drawing and quartering please, but what would you want as his punishment?

Doormouse

Visit site
As I understand it, Ben Maher has had a slap on the wrist for pulling his horse over backwards at the Horse of the Year Show. I saw it, and I was disgusted by it, it was done in temper because the horse refused.

Personally, I would have like to have seen him have a ban that would have taken him out of the next major international competition, making a financial impact on him, his owners and his sponsors.

No hang drawing and quartering please, but what would you want as his punishment?

Not often do I agree with you but in this case I would say you are spot on. A ban that impacted on a major competition would be ideal, hopefully giving him and his sponsors food for thought over the incident. When a jockey is banned in racing for excessive use etc they very often miss a decent meeting or even sometimes things like Cheltenham or Aintree and I am quite sure this makes them think hard about their riding because the loose financially and because someone else rides their horses they may well loose that ride altogether.

I have always felt that the FEI are too soft on the show jumpers, you hear so many rumours about mistreatment and yet not one show jumper ever seems to be made an example of.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd have thought yellow card for Abuse of Horse or Incorrect Riding (dependent on what the official video shows) would be what would happen, in which case he'll be watched for any further incidents.

What I'd like to have seen would be immediate suspension* pending a hearing to decide the length of the ban.

"Suspension" in this instance does not mean hanging!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
He definitely should have had a ban for that awful (and so public!) display of temper and bad horsemanship. I didn't have an opinion of him before as I hadn't heard about his previous bad behaviour but now I do and it isn't good. I really feel for the horses he rides :(

cptrayes

Visit site
Ben Maher lost it for a moment & he's been dealt with, why continue to pillory the man!

I saw what he did and it was calculated abuse out of temper. We continue to pillory him because the punishment is pathetic and he has not acknowledged that he did anything wrong.

x-di-x

Visit site
He should have been suspended immediately after the incident pending a full investigation. (Therefor missing the remainder of HOYS) then after fully investigated (up to 6 weeks) a ban or yellow card. If he is then caught doing something similar then. 12 month ban as standard

Merrymoles

Visit site
I'd like to see more consistency in terms of all sport. In Rugby League, one player has just been banned for six months for punching another player (and that's hardly a bunny hugger sport) and the Serbian football team are likely to be penalised for crowd trouble at last night's match. In racing likely penalties for misbehaving seem to be much clearer than in other equestrian disciplines, where the general response seems to be apathetic.

I do think the only penalties which are effective are those that really hit the pocket (eg, ban or large fine) or those that prevent someone competing at a top level for a period, which also affects the pocket. Without those sort of penalties, it is up to the offender as to how seriously they take whatever "penalty" is dished out.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
As I said on the other thread I would have wanted to see a two year ban. I know that seems harsh, but he is an ambassador for the sport. I think only the most severe punishment will serve to deter him or others in future from acting like spoilt brats. I also think bans should be applied when similar situations are observed (with proof such as a video clip or official seeing it) behind the scenes.

touchstone

Visit site
I'm another who think a financial implication through a fine or ban would have served better in this situation, to be told he was 'a naughty boy and don't do it again' won't wash I don't think.

It doesn't bode well for the future of the sport if there is a justified public outcry and little action is taken, it gives welfare organisations the opportunity to dive in and cause ructions, which in itself could be very damaging to the sport as a whole if the governing body hasn't acted appropriately, causing sponsors to pull out, public perceptions to be affected etc.

NellRosk

Visit site
As I said on the other thread I would have wanted to see a two year ban. I know that seems harsh, but he is an ambassador for the sport. I think only the most severe punishment will serve to deter him or others in future from acting like spoilt brats. I also think bans should be applied when similar situations are observed (with proof such as a video clip or official seeing it) behind the scenes.

Completely agree Wagtail!

dibbin

Visit site
Given the suspension that Mary King got earlier this year, I think a ban would have been more than appropriate. I understand that Mary had been "carded" on a previous occasion and that was why she was suspended, but Ben's behaviour at HOYS was awful and should have warranted an immediate suspension. Especially as one of the FEI's reasons for punishing Mary King was that she was a high profile rider and should be setting an example!

noodle_

Visit site
i didnt see the video? [is there a link?]

but going off what ive heard, he should have been suspended.... british show jumping are too soft..........

Fellewell

Visit site
There should be a BSJA Stewards Enquiry. Unfortunately show jumping has a history of questionable training practices, going back to before Maher was even born and involving some very high profile names. The Association needs to quickly distance itself from any form of cruelty then perhaps people will stop constantly speculating on what riders get up to at home.

3Beasties

Visit site
Given the suspension that Mary King got earlier this year, I think a ban would have been more than appropriate. I understand that Mary had been "carded" on a previous occasion and that was why she was suspended, but Ben's behaviour at HOYS was awful and should have warranted an immediate suspension. Especially as one of the FEI's reasons for punishing Mary King was that she was a high profile rider and should be setting an example!

This ^^^

nicolenlolly

Visit site
My daughter who is 7 said that she wished the horse had rolled on him a bit!!! lol although I dont think she wished him dead I thought it was quite amusing bless her.

In all seriousness I absolutely think that a ban should have been put in place but more than that I think that HOYS media team should have been more on the ball dealing with the public outcry and stating that he had been dealt with. Mary King's ban seemed harsh at the time but having said that, she is someone that a lot of people aspire to be like and look to for advice or a way of riding and Ben is/was the same.

An immediate apology to the audience that night and then via media should also have happened. MK spoke about her ban via her blog and said that the horse was being strong and BM should have done the same. As was said on the other post, even if he didnt mean it!! For the sake of youngsters out there, bad behaviour needs to be addressed and made an example of. There is too much cruelty out there as it is, we do not need professionals who owe their success and lifestyle to the horses they ride to be disrespecting them the way he did last weekend

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
None of us would ever have been aware that he had been reprimanded by the FEI unless someone on here had emailed the FEI and received a reply. So the general public will be unaware that he has been reprimanded. I believe the FEI, HOYS and BS should have made a statement reprimanding him or given him a formal warning at the very least. It doesn't seem as though anyone has taken it remotely seriously so far (as in anyone official). I don't actually believe anything has been done full stop.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
None of us would ever have been aware that he had been reprimanded by the FEI unless someone on here had emailed the FEI and received a reply. So the general public will be unaware that he has been reprimanded. I believe the FEI, HOYS and BS should have made a statement reprimanding him or given him a formal warning at the very least. It doesn't seem as though anyone has taken it remotely seriously so far (as in anyone official). I don't actually believe anything has been done full stop.

^^^^ this
Someone has had time to go on his FB page and deleat all the negative comments but he's not made any comments of his own on the matter.

Luci07

Visit site
Well I have just received an infraction and had my post removed. It was not inflammatory and a lot less strongly worded than some of the posts on here. Oh well.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Might I suggest that you don't put up a separate thread about it as someone's just done that and has gone grey.

Jango

Visit site
In rugby a similar thing happened at the weekend, in the heat of the moment a player was elbowed in the face, turned around and punched the other player, which knocked him out. Although this is against the rules it is apparently a fairly common occurrence and he would have been sent off and maybe a few games ban. However in anger he then proceeded to punch the player again while he was knocked out and he has been banned for 6 months (rightly so).

Ben Mayer acted in a similar way, he pulled the horse up quite harshly BUT it was to stop him hitting the steward so although not great it isn't a major issue. BUT he then hauled the horse over in anger in a completely unsporting and cruel way so a 6 month ban from competing would be fair in my eyes.

cptrayes

Visit site
My daughter who is 7 said that she wished the horse had rolled on him a bit!!! lol although I dont think she wished him dead I thought it was quite amusing bless her.

I have to confess that as the horse went over I was thinking that it would be fair if Ben was left with a broken ankle, but he stood away just before his leg was rolled on

Illusion100

Visit site
I saw the clip and feel an immediate suspension would have been appropriate pending investigation. It would be very hard to deny BMs actions were harsh towards the horse considering the horses response, therefore at least a yellow card for 'reckless and dangerous riding' should have been issued with the same publicity as it was with MK.

IMO this is only fair as FEI followed this course of action with MK and it comes across as very inappropriate that one high profile rider is treated differently than another. To maintain respect the FEI should be consistent with its penal code.

However the difference is many people feel BM acted out of temper (I do!) so in this case a harsher penalty should have been considered.

For me, a red card equivalent, 6 month ban and exclusion from HOYS next year would have been satisfactory.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I saw the clip and feel an immediate suspension would have been appropriate pending investigation. It would be very hard to deny BMs actions were harsh towards the horse considering the horses response, therefore at least a yellow card for 'reckless and dangerous riding' should have been issued with the same publicity as it was with MK.

IMO this is only fair as FEI followed this course of action with MK and it comes across as very inappropriate that one high profile rider is treated differently than another. To maintain respect the FEI should be consistent with its penal code.

However the difference is many people feel BM acted out of temper (I do!) so in this case a harsher penalty should have been considered.

For me, a red card equivalent, 6 month ban and exclusion from HOYS next year would have been satisfactory.

Illusion100 I think you have hit the nail on the head, MK at no point kept riding to spite her horse or in temper, yes he was strong but she thought she had control. She was penalised because she is a well known and well regarded rider. BM therefore should have a penalty harsher than MK as his was a knee jerk temper tantrum and damaged the horse. At least what MK did, in no way was hurting the horse physically