What would you compromise on to keep horse prices lower.....

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just curious really.

We can't afford to go out and buy young, fit, healthy, sane, safe, kind, vice free horses who are already doing what we want to do which is (eventually) to event at BE90/100.

So we need to compromise somewhere. Where do you compromise?

Amber was bought from the field but that was for an adult.
Dolly was only 4 but that was for a very confident child who I believed would be happy tackling things like ditches, trakeheners etc for the first time with a youngster. (And is!)

I feel like Izzy - having had 2 traumatic accidents on her ponies- needs a more established horse with fewer risks.

So an older one? One with a health condition like sweetitch? One with inactive splints/sarcoids? One who is unproven raw material? A youngster? One with behavioural issues that I could probably sort out like catching/leading/loading problems. An unpopular breed or colour?

Just wondering! There must be a nice affordable horse out there who we can develop. Don't mind plenty of hard work as long as Izzy has the skills to do it and it is safe to try.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
When I was a kid (with no support network) and very limited budget I had a pony who was a schoolmistress but older and had sweetitch.
She wasn't very glamorous but she was perfect in every other way.

These days the sweetitch would be easier to manage than then, and we all know that older horses can be kept on the road with a bit of extra TLC. So those are the things I'd compromise on for a child.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
To add, as izzy herself needs something that will help build her confidence I wouldn't be looking at behavioural issues nor potentially progressive pita health issues like sarcoids.

be positive

Visit site
The problem with behavioural issues is they stem from somewhere so even if not pain related the horse is likely to have bevioural issues under saddle as well as on the ground.
I would either buy a well started youngster that has been in the same home for some time ideally, or one that has been doing a different job and develop the parts you need as you go along, what I would avoid is a badly produced horse from a pro or one with a big unexplained gap in work or that has moved homes frequently however well the seller glosses over it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Unpopular breed and comp record. Something that has been more in the family horse category and has been happily knocking around doing fun rides, riding club type stuff, hacking etc.

ETA : something like #212478 on horsequest?

Last edited:

Horse2018

Visit site
my first horse was cheap she is amazing horse with no Heath issues I was very lucky to have her. Yes they are great cheap horses on the market but you need to be careful .

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Unpopular breed and comp record. Something that has been more in the family horse category and has been happily knocking around doing fun rides, riding club type stuff, hacking etc.

Well my first horse was cheap she is amazing horse with no Heath issues I was very lucky to have her. Yes they are great cheap horses on the market but you need to be careful .
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...orse-prices-lower.778828/#bfJpIDWMdV0fkohb.99

But how do you find them!!

be positive

Visit site
Well that is Dolly to a tee. Maybe young would be ok as long as it is as kind and well started as Dolly has been.

I think it is the home that is key, if they have been properly started, seen enough of the world but had consistency rather than being passed about from home to home they are often well established, confident even if they lack miles on the clock.

JFTDWS

Visit site
When I last went horse shopping, I wanted something of a certain type (less desirable than yours, but my budget was also a lot smaller!), with a bit of scope to do a job, but mostly something very sensible which wouldn't kill me, or make me fear death every other day. I compromised on mild sweet itch (which doesn't cause any real issues) and bought a youngster. She'd been reasonably well started (after a fashion), very green, but pretty straightforward to work with and a charming personality. So that's what I'd compromise on - I don't want excessive potential / flash, I don't mind green and babyish, and I don't mind minor issues like (mild) sweet itch / wonky feet which improve with management.

I think there's an element of "with this horse I am willing to compromise on that" - what you want to compromise on will depend, to some extent, on how that horse makes you feel when you see / ride it. If it feels right, you can work around the rest. Although you do need enough common sense to not be swayed by a flashy horse for that mentality ;)

Upthecreek

Visit site
I would basically compromise on anything with the exception of health issues and temperament.

Health issues because you often can’t predict how they will progress and you can end up spending loads of time and money on a horse which can end in heartbreak or a totally unsaleable horse in the future.

Temperament because if a horse is young and/or uneducated you can usually get somewhere with it if it has the right temperament. This is always the most important factor for me, whatever I am buying, and especially so for a child.

Also I think you need to decide if you are looking for a horse for the long-term or one for the next couple of years. If it’s the latter buy something older with experience she can literally get on and go with. If it’s long-term go for something young and unproven, but well started and with the right temperament.

Leo Walker

Visit site
you find them by word of mouth or by trawling the free ads like preloved. You dont over analyse the ads and wording and go and look at anything cheap and even possibly suitable thats localish to you, and then you cross your fingers and hope for a diamond in the rough.

I'd be thinking ex racer in your shoes, they are always significantly cheaper. But find one thats retired sound and gone on to do something already if possible.

Visit site
EKW I did wonder whether TBs ticked the 'unpopular breed' box.

Not necessarily unpopular but they are 10 a penny. September/october time is kick out time for a lot of yards - flat horses that haven't made the grade or have reached retirement age and summer jumpers of the same. If you go down the exracer route email yards within the distance you are willing to travel now, see if they have anything. Speak to the stable staff, they know more about the horse as a horse than the trainer does and will want the best home for their charges. There is a FB group - Racehorses Where Are They Now? You can always dot on there and ask about temprements from certain bloodlines as there are some you REALLY want to avoid!

Starbucks

Visit site
It’s worked out quite well for me buying unbroken. Then you can have it professionally broken and know it’s not been spoiled. Might be a bit crazy for your daughter but we’ve had more problems with older, more expensive horses than the two 3 year olds I bought!

If I were you I’d consider an unbroken 3 or 4 yo smallish Connie / ISH from Ireland. But not sure if that would be totally unsuitable for your daughter?

Both of mine have / did have sarcoids. I would try to aviod in future but wouldn’t be a deal breaker. I’d consider some stable vices (not cribbing). Wouldn’t consider anything with lameness issues or bad legs/feet. Also wouldn’t compromise on temperament.

twiggy2

Visit site
For a child who has had 2 traumatic accidents I would look for something older that takes her up a size, my compromise would be the it would not be a long term horse but one one that give your daughter confidence and get her experience on a bigger horse on bigger tracks.
Long term I would possibly look for something a bit greener for a long term project and produce it together.
Colour and breeding would not be a consideration and in an ideal world I would be looking for a 12 month (or longer) lease or loan.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I'd definitely look older. If she's had a couple of accidents I would look for something slightly steadier.
Gills and I most recently bought an older boy. He's possibly older than we were looking for but ticked a lot of boxes for us.

Wheels

Visit site
For a child who has had 2 traumatic accidents I would look for something older that takes her up a size, my compromise would be the it would not be a long term horse but one one that give your daughter confidence and get her experience on a bigger horse on bigger tracks.
Long term I would possibly look for something a bit greener for a long term project and produce it together.
Colour and breeding would not be a consideration and in an ideal world I would be looking for a 12 month (or longer) lease or loan.
This pretty much

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I happily compromise on front foot soundness in a shod horse if I can see the feet will change significantly when the shoes come off. But I wouldn't in your case, so sorry that's no help!

J&S

Visit site
I would go for young, unbroken but with a nice disposition. Bring him/her on alongside your already proven ponies, just quietly and gently pop the youngster into situations like shows, Clear round, prelim dressage, PC . We did this for my step daughter and she was off and away on the coloured mare on the right by the time she was a 5 year old.

windand rain

Visit site
I would compromise on anything as long as it didnt jepardize the childs confidence or safety so find a nice natured lazy youngster, nice natured older horse with no hang ups. I would not compromise on health or leg and foot conformation. Personally a nice natured lazy youngster thats not been spoiled would be my first choice

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I’d save money going for an untouched or well started youngster, nothing with serious issues or health problems and speaking from experience I’d NEVER have another with sweet itch 😖

honetpot

Visit site
I found a just started youngster for my daughter at 14. He was a 16hand maxi cob , with a toe in front leg. What he did have was temperament , and my thoughts were he would always make a mans hunter. He rode in a snaffle in plain nose band and he just wanted to please. Unfortunately at 16 the daughter found other interests. I used to hack out but never wanted to do any more. He was never lame in his life and just a pleasure.
The next was aTB failed at showing, so he was well schooled but lazy, just like my other daughter, perfect match.