What would you do in my situation ?

JenHunt

Visit site
..... So, should she ever reach the show ring, her going out name will be Miss Marple.
..... The biggest problem was getting her face out of the grass when she was untacked at the side of the lorry. She is soon to be the only 16h horse in daisy reins.
MarthaatTardebigge001.jpg

I think Miss Marple suits her! the comment about daisy reins just made me nearly spit tea over the laptop! :D

she is an absolutely super sort, and will be even better as you say once she finishes maturing and strengthening up with schooling.

just lovely!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
For those of you who can remember the shall I buy her saga back in 2012, we finally took her to her first little show today. Despite having her for almost 4 years now personal circumstances had left her doing little.

Had a lovely day with her today, she was foot perfect throughout and was a proper family pony. She found herself in the clear round jumping between the cob class and the championship. Love my little pocket rocket. It was so lovely to just have a day out without the pressure and responsibility of showing at County level with the better horses, who would not have coped with everything Martha saw today - fancy dress, including a pony dressed as the air ambulance ! whoever designed and made that is seriously talented, numerous ponies being ridden up her backside including one rider that blamed us for being in her way, how that works is beyond me as she rode into the cobs amble rear end, specsavers love ! and a lady that thought it acceptable to lunge her lead rein pony complete with tiny tot on board, withing a couple of foot of the cob. I forgot what can go on at local level.

DSCF3402_zpsghudjois.jpg

DSCF3404_zpsigrfgjci.jpg

DSCF3412_zpschf4d5un.jpg

DSCF3415_zpspqhmzlj0.jpg

millikins

Visit site
Congratulations, she looks splendid. Please can you explain why she isn't county standard, I always enjoy the cc threads and what makes for very, as opposed to just good, conformation. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Congratulations, she looks splendid. Please can you explain why she isn't county standard, I always enjoy the cc threads and what makes for very, as opposed to just good, conformation. :)

She is common to put it bluntly. Her legs lack quality, have a close look at the near hind on the last picture, there is huge windgall. her pasterns are too short and her second thigh weak. She also finds it difficult to stay in front of the leg. She is just a fun horse hence her not being hogged, I also need her mane to hold onto when I get off her.

Goldenstar

Visit site
She is common to put it bluntly. Her legs lack quality, have a close look at the near hind on the last picture, there is huge windgall. her pasterns are too short and her second thigh weak. She also finds it difficult to stay in front of the leg. She is just a fun horse hence her not being hogged, I also need her mane to hold onto when I get off her.

Who cares about her imperfections if you love her and she does her job .
May you have many years together .

crabbymare

Visit site
but looking at the picture of her standing up you could imagine what she would be like to ride and after yesterday doing the show you could have a good days hunting on her today and tomorrow go off and doing a bit of jumping. so probably more fun and worth more with her imperfections than one that can get placed at county level but not do anything else

AdorableAlice

Visit site
but looking at the picture of her standing up you could imagine what she would be like to ride and after yesterday doing the show you could have a good days hunting on her today and tomorrow go off and doing a bit of jumping. so probably more fun and worth more with her imperfections than one that can get placed at county level but not do anything else

Exactly, I am so pleased I listened to you learned lot and bought her. Cheap to keep too, tea was an apple and a cuddle.

millikins

Visit site

Many thanks, I can see what you mean but don't think I'd have noticed. She is rather nice though.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
She looks very smart and fit, how do you get her legs to look so sparkling white. Real family type horse, lovely to read your update AA, sounds like a good day out.

White paste, I use the Supreme Products paste. Simply mix it with water into a paste and smooth onto the legs. I use gloves as it slides off them better than bare hands. The just stable bandage over the top. The paste will dry and can be brushed off leaving a nice clean result.

Adopter

Visit site
White paste, I use the Supreme Products paste. Simply mix it with water into a paste and smooth onto the legs. I use gloves as it slides off them better than bare hands. The just stable bandage over the top. The paste will dry and can be brushed off leaving a nice clean result.

Well the pictures are confirmation that it works!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Go Martha! Such a relief to see her back to her best after her recent health scare.

Those are clever little plaits, I bet they took an age to put in, I thought she was hogged at first glance. The saddle looks great on her too, what make is it please?

Annagain

Visit site
Wow. I've followed Ted's thread all these years without realising Martha had one of her own! I never realised she arrived after Ted, she just seems to have always been there.

Some of those early replies seem quite prophetic now - what a four years it has been for you. I think it's safe to say Martha has been your equine rock in all that has gone on so how wonderful it was that you found each other when you did.

I'm probably going to need a Mr Martha in the next few years (geldings only yard) so any tips gratefully received. I sort of have one now but the sports version. He's 20 now and will need to start slowing down soon. I dread that day.

Puddleduck

Visit site
Next time I go to buy a horse can I take you with me Please AA?
You obviously have a fantastic talent for spotting one that's more than half decent judging by Martha, Ted and Alice

puppystitch

Visit site
I'm probably going to need a Mr Martha in the next few years (geldings only yard) so any tips gratefully received. I sort of have one now but the sports version. He's 20 now and will need to start slowing down soon. I dread that day.[/QUOTE said:
Don't speak too soon - my sports version is 26 now and still doing more work than most other horses on the yard and out competing at affiliated shows. She beats her 10 year old brother on the gallops and makes it quite clear she's not ready to put her hooves up yet :D

Lovely to see you made the right decision AA, Martha looks great fun!

jojo5

Visit site
What a great read this thread made today - and how lovely it must have been for you to have Martha in your life through difficult times. I have an older geezer version of Martha ( Blagdon, grey tail, white feathers, the works) but have no idea how to get a pic on here. That's him in the sig .......xx

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Go Martha! Such a relief to see her back to her best after her recent health scare.

Those are clever little plaits, I bet they took an age to put in, I thought she was hogged at first glance. The saddle looks great on her too, what make is it please?

What a lot of lovely kind words from you all. The saddle is a Farrington Working Hunter, it actually Ted's, her own saddle is another Farrington but a GP so more forward cut. I have always liked the make and luckily one of only three suppliers is just down the road from me. The plaits are tiny ones set up on her neck to give the illusion of being hogged. Although I did hog her in 2013/14 so she matched my bald head, it didn't suit her, or me come to think of it !!, and as we are only playing at local shows I won't hog her again. I need her mane to hold onto when I scramble on and off her.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Next time I go to buy a horse can I take you with me Please AA?
You obviously have a fantastic talent for spotting one that's more than half decent judging by Martha, Ted and Alice

I am asked a lot to go buying, but you would hate me with you, I am very critical and I can see a lame one at 100 yards. Martha was my pick, I bred Alice and as her sire Amorous Archie is yet to throw a bad one she was always going to be a nice sort. As for Ted I actually said no to him but my best friend and vet talked me into him. A 'project' she said, quite some project he turned into !

Her is a hogged Martha, this was taken Spring 2013 when I was very ill, she had wintered out and to try to keep me positive my dear friend started to school her so I could sit on her on my better days. Although she was rough around the edges and I always had a lead rein at the ready, she looked after me and knew I wasn't right. Quite amazing how animals know these things, she was really careful around me. I shall never forget hacking and thinking don't be sick down her shoulder. Just the once and she did forgive me !

125_zps8cfa4d9e.jpg

JenHunt

Visit site
I'm probably going to need a Mr Martha in the next few years (geldings only yard) so any tips gratefully received. I sort of have one now but the sports version. He's 20 now and will need to start slowing down soon. I dread that day.

don't bank on them slowing down!! mine's 22 going on 4.... I keep thinking this will be his last year hunting and then he feels so good in the autumn that we have a few more days!!

Annagain

Visit site
don't bank on them slowing down!! mine's 22 going on 4.... I keep thinking this will be his last year hunting and then he feels so good in the autumn that we have a few more days!!

M is starting to feel little niggles far more than he did. At least once a year for the last 3 or 4 years he's had at least one week's box rest, after 10 years of never having a had a lame day. He had the best part of 4 months off last year with a hock problem which we thought might be the end of his jumping days but he came back stronger than ever. Every time has been a different leg so it may just be bad luck and he bounces back quite quickly but I'm not sure if it's all age related and he has something underlying which means he can't ignore little niggles like he used to.