What would you do in my situation ?

HappyNeds

Visit site
I've just caught up back up on this, and so pleased to see Martha at your home and happy! She is just lovely, and my kind of horse! :):)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
3. Buy the cob, assuming the price is right at 5K, mess about on her for the
3 years I have to wait for the babies to mature.

4. Start trying to find more easy quiet cobs to view.

QUOTE]

So if you like the cob you saw then why not ask to see it again and take it from there??

The owner(s) obviously want to make sure the home is "right", and if you like the horse then why not go for it; tho' you might try to knock them down a bit on price TBH. But if you like it, and can afford it, I'd say go for it!!!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
How brilliant :D :D :D

This was my last Radox shopping trip...

IMG_1131.jpg

Old Bat

Visit site
She is absolutely gorgeous and could go far, preferably into my field! Have masses of fun with her and try whisky and Radox for a bit of variety!

Bx

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I'd buy the cob, but try and knock them down a bit. :)

This is what I would do too. Although if you can afford it, it might be worth paying the asking price for a horse that is perfect for you. Sounds like a great horse for you :)

ETA: Not read through all the posts as quite frankly I cant be ar*ed ;) but just saw the pics. Lovely horse- I nice mare is worth her weight in gold in my opinion :)

Last edited:

maresmaid

Visit site
When i was 51 i lost my horse and having been a horse owner and rider for over 25 years i knew i could not be without a horse. I bought my present horse for her lovely temperament, she is safe, sane, and fun. I know we can grow old together and when our competition days are over she will be a nice safe hack, and she is easy to handle on the ground, all attributes i will appreciate very much in my 60's. I say buy the cob, handle on price if you want, but if she's worth the money to you - she's worth the money. Don't even think about having a break from riding - you have years left in the saddle make sure you enjoy every minute!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Pardon ? haven't a clue what you mean. It says brown on her passport !

Does Sabino mean she can be shown in coloured classes ?

Gulastra plume = her grey tail (caused by sabino and not the grey gene). You can also see the sabino in her socks (edges aren't straight/horizontal), the white on her lower lip is another sign as is the roaning/ticking (she doesn't have the true roan gene).

Unfortunately she wouldn't qualify to be shown as a coloured because she's a minimal sabino and not 'patchy' enough. :(

Passports often have the colour of the horse wrong which is quite worrying really.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Gulastra plume = her grey tail (caused by sabino and not the grey gene). You can also see the sabino in her socks (edges aren't straight/horizontal), the white on her lower lip is another sign as is the roaning/ticking (she doesn't have the true roan gene).

Unfortunately she wouldn't qualify to be shown as a coloured because she's a minimal sabino and not 'patchy' enough. :(

Passports often have the colour of the horse wrong which is quite worrying really.

Thank you, she is believed to be 3/4 ID and 1/4 Clyde, am I right in thinking the sabino is the Clyde coming through ?

I am not worried about showing her as coloured, if she is shown she will be heading for maxi cobs.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you, she is believed to be 3/4 ID and 1/4 Clyde, am I right in thinking the sabino is the Clyde coming through ?

I am not worried about showing her as coloured, if she is shown she will be heading for maxi cobs.

You are right. :) It's sometimes called Blagdon too.

She would be a super maxi-cob. :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Buying the lovely cob mare was the best decision I have made for many a year and for everyone who is in the same situation as me I can thoroughly recommend starting riding again.

10 days since she came home now and I ride every morning before work.

She is green, but safe and honest which has resulted in my confidence flooding back. Her and my fitness is improving by the day. She managed 40 minutes up and through in her walk this morning. I managed 40 minutes pain free and didn't have to lean on the fence after I got off !! half a stone gone off me and her girth is going up an extra hole. I am plotting revenge on the OH following his comment about 'two big birds exercising at dawn'.

So for all those of you 'mature' riders who encouraged me to keep going I owe you a big thank you, it was totally the right thing for me to do. Cubbing here we come, hopefully slightly less of the 'two big birds' at dawn. She is also very close to being good enough to show, so when the flatwork is in place I might just have a go, anyone an expert at maxi cob showing ?, my experience is limited to hunters only.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Looks just like my clydie cross mine is bay roan with the same tail but more silver tail and dark silver and white mane very striking and a lovely horse too .
Yours will make a cracking brood mare in the future.
Mine would show as a maxicob but I keep him way to slim as he does horse driving trials and he's a wonderful hunter and a super star dressage cob as well ,a ture super star multi tasker mine is welsh section D station to Clydesdale mare.
You are going to have so much fun, getting mine him fit the first time was hard work but he's just great now.
He's a great character I was so lucky to find him and he cost buttons .

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You can't put a price on a really decent cob!!

Good luck x

The new cob has been with me just over 2 weeks now and this morning I went out alone on a new route for the horse. It's still all a bit new for her and she is green but very willing and honest.

I realised I had made the right decision to have her this morning when a hidden crow scarer went off at the side of us only a few feet from her legs. She flinched and took a few quick steps but remained composed and safe. It did upset her and she was a bit looky and nervous for the next mile or so, but with reassurance she kept going forward.

I didn't pay the asking price for her, but after this morning the comment above is so very true.

I won't be going that way again until it's gone !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
bless the beautiful martha!! not many horses would react to well........ certainly not any of mine lol!!:eek:

Bless her again - does her own strimming. The advert said she was bombproof, she certainly seems near to whatever bombproof actually means, that strimmer was running when she decided to investigate.

She
Alice60812016.jpg
was most disappointed to find it was not something she could eat. A bigger dustbin has yet to be invented.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
lol, now mine are quite used to the noise of the chainsaw , hubby came and chopped down some blackthorns that were trashing the rugs and the nosey devils were almost in his lap trying to see what he was doing:rolleyes:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
She's lovely! Glad you are getting on so well.

Will look forward to more updates :)

An update, 6 weeks on and I have got to know her a little more and with that knowledge have been able to rename her and change her passport. she remains Martha at home but the passport name of Hairy Mary is awful and has to go.

She is the most curious horse I have ever known, into everything, which includes DIY, carpentry, security (capable of opening most things), needlework (especially unpicking), housework (likes to put anything in reach on the floor in a heap) experimenting with non food items to see if they are edible (fly hat, car keys, fly spray etc). So, should she ever reach the show ring, her going out name will be Miss Marple.

She is a kind and highly intelligent mare (too intelligent at times), a few problems have come to the surface and I am sure she got topside of her previous handlers, she borders on being very bossy and I have to be quite firm with her. I have never ridden a mare they are very different to geldings !

Almost impossible to get on if the block can be walked around, I have to wedge her against the wall, she has figeting down to a fine art and knows exactly how far to shuffle backwards or sideways to stop anyone getting on. A bit rude in hand and her ample bottom is a very effective swatting device if I happen to be in the way. She has plenty of potential but her manners need fine tuning. I like her a lot and she has helped my confidence and fitness no end. Showing her as a maxi cob is doubtful unless her hind fetlocks improve a lot, the mites have taken a toll and there is a fair bit of thickening. The fronts came good quickly but the hinds I am not sure about and neither is the vet.

The poor manners are minor in the grand scheme of things, she passes all traffic, is cheap to feed, is comfy to ride and will improve with more schooling and is young enough to turn into a nice horse when she strengthens up.

The pictures were taken on Sunday when we took her to our local UK Chasers ride. She didn't bat an eyelid at canal barges or the gliders that were nearby. The biggest problem was getting her face out of the grass when she was untacked at the side of the lorry. She is soon to be the only 16h horse in daisy reins.
MarthaatTardebigge001.jpg

MarthaatTardebigge007.jpg