What's the highest you've jumped?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
The biggest I've jumped is 4ft2 (1m26). It was a big hedge out hunting yesterday, and I'm very proud of my little girl for jumping it, as she's only 13.3hh and 8 years old and normally does stone walls out hunting, she's not done many hedges :')

What's the biggest you've jumped?

Equi

Visit site
Back in my youth my little pony and i cleared a pole on top of a big barrel, no idea what height that would be but thats the highest. I used to love jumping on him, bigger the better. I wish i had hunted him!

Clever pony

Visit site
I've jumped 1m 5 and I'm proud of it I did feel a bit nervous but I normally can't talk because of nerves when the jump gets above 80 .I have been known to burst out crying over a 70 plain upright :) oh it was on a 16h horse in the summer

3Beasties

Visit site
As a single fence the highest I think I have jumped is 1.20m.

As a full course, the highest is 95cm although we train up to about 1.10m

JFTDWS

Visit site
My derranged old cob used to clear over 1m30 with me. I'm fairly sure Dae would do the same if I gave him the chance...

LizzyandToddy

Visit site
i've cleared a 6ft hedge out hunting....by accident. I was actually trying to over-face the horse to make him stop (was a youngster (5yrs) and kept 'Pi**ing off!). Turns out he had a hell of a pop in him! I'd never want to jump it again mind you!!! You certainly get a feeling of being in the air for a long time - not sure how all the puissance riders do it!

Sologirl

Visit site
I'm no jumper lol...probably 4ft at a push and that was years ago. Although I'm trying to re-discover my b*lls and do a bit more!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
The biggest I have measured was 1.20m schooling, at a competition a 3ft hunter trail. Love jumping but never found the right horse/time/money to compete properly still have fun nonetheless :)

ELAINE.69

Visit site
long time ago now but 5'6 with 6'6 spread last time jumped anything big was jumped of when horse bounced two stride double of 4ft oxers ouch broke pelvis

TheHairyOne

Visit site
This on him...i believe its about 4'3.

250935_10150193067230894_5055429_n.jpg

Only once!! In competition 90 so far...but 3 moths ago it was 2'6 so getting there. Not on this pony though. I am a bit braver when the horse is over a foot bigger. :)

WelshD

Visit site
goodness knows, As a kid the junior jumping at local shows was rarely below three feet and it shot up over several rounds of jump offs. jumping picnic benches was also pretty common place while hacking out, ponies used to be thrown over all matter of obstacles regardless of height.

I would seriously freak out at jumping these days though lol

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The biggest I've jumped is 4ft2 (1m26). It was a big hedge out hunting yesterday, and I'm very proud of my little girl for jumping it, as she's only 13.3hh and 8 years old and normally does stone walls out hunting, she's not done many hedges :')

What's the biggest you've jumped?

Did you have a tape measure in your saddle bags!?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Did you have a tape measure in your saddle bags!?

Haha, nope, I'm 5ft at the moment, and at the end I went and walked over to it (pony was in the lorry) and it was just past the top of my shoulder. Put the tape measure to that height when I got home, so that's how I know how big it was ;) However, if I had known it was that height I wouldn't of jumped it, it looked just over a meter(ish) - I may now take a tape measure in the lorry, to measure the jumps I did - providing they're not 20+ miles away!.... (the hedge was fairly close to where we were all parked).

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
I refuse to be defined by how high I've jumped, but by how easy I made it for the horse to jump a decent sized fence in balance, good form and comfort.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I once jumped a huge gate out hunting, it wasn't a normal five bar gate, it had at least an extra bar on top. On the same day we jumped a biggish hedge, about 3 6" but there was a tremendous drop the other side, I wondered when we were going to land. I went round the following week on a hack and couldn't believe the drop. On the same horse I was at a Novice horse trials - 3' 6" - and there was a big bullfinch and my horse had a very good attempt at jumping over the top instead of through the middle.

So the biggest - about 4' 3" I expect. Years ago now.

JenJ

Visit site
I've jumped close to 3ft a few times, but 20 years ago.

Biggest course I've attempted was about 2'9", but the horse I was on refused the second three times and then I fell off.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I refuse to be defined by how high I've jumped, but by how easy I made it for the horse to jump a decent sized fence in balance, good form and comfort.

Well this really . . . just because you (and/or the horse) CAN jump four foot, doesn't mean it should . . . for all sorts of reasons.

P

applecart14

Visit site
5ft 3 at a chase me charlie on my first horse who was a Grade B showjumper who had jumped 1.30 and 1.40 speed tracks and derby's abroad. Mum and Dad watched ( for over 2 1/2 years this horse had never refused or run out of a fence with me) and their hearts were in their mouths as they knew the only way he would stop jumping as the pole was raised was if he knocked it down! this was years ago now when I was much younger.

As an aside I had his BSJA card and managed to find out his registered BSJA name. I put an advert in an equine publication basically asking if anyone knew of this horse and tracked his previous groom down who groomed for his previous owner. CHarlotte replied to my advert and came and visited Biggles and she hacked him up the lane as Mum, dad and I walked with her fiance (now her hubby) alongside. She had loved Biggs like her own and had really missed him and was so happy to have found him again.

It was a moment I will never forget and was very sad as we lost him not long afterwards and Charlotte was so upset she'd been reunited with him only to lose him again.

On my present horse I've jumped around 3ft 10 on him but don't trust him as much as I did Biggs as he has let me down a lot in the past - 2 MRI's, 3 CT's, 3 spinal boards, four ambulance trips! :)

Like previous posters have said though, any fool can jump a single big fence and there is not really any particular skill in that, just point and shoot . Its jumping a big track which counts and not eveyone can do that, learning to lengthen/shorten the stride, and stride related distances, and walk a course correctly is key, and its a skill which takes years to develop, unlike a quick dare on how high you can jump when you are feeling brave.

Last edited: