What's your dream horsey holiday?

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Who did you ride with in Glenorchy and when? I used to work for them when it was Dart stables.
I went in February just for the day, scenery was just stunning it was place near Paradise. I would go back in a heart beat to do a week or two just in that area.

Reactions: BBP

Courbette

Visit site
A classical riding holiday in Portugal on Lusitanos closely followed by a dream ranch holiday in the US. I have had a holiday riding PRE’s in the UK, went to the SRS early this year (the one good thing to come out of 2020) and went riding in Iceland. I’d be tempted to do a full riding holiday in Iceland too ?

Attachments

• AD9C1147-72E0-46C7-A101-B4CA56537523.jpeg
    AD9C1147-72E0-46C7-A101-B4CA56537523.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 7
  • 129EAAB7-AAD7-4762-B561-1048AD04B6D0.jpeg
    129EAAB7-AAD7-4762-B561-1048AD04B6D0.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 7

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
A classical riding holiday in Portugal on Lusitanos closely followed by a dream ranch holiday in the US. I have had a holiday riding PRE’s in the UK, went to the SRS early this year (the one good thing to come out of 2020) and went riding in Iceland. I’d be tempted to do a full riding holiday in Iceland too ?
Ooo I love the Portuguese school of equestrian art! I trained out there and loved seeing the Alter horses.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve done a 6 day Iceland (landmannalaugar) tour which was fantastic. Did Spain Andalusia but although enjoyable the hosts were a bit odd and the horse care not quite up to standard I’d like although not awful. Recently did the Hay Triangle with Trans-Wales that was pretty fast riding and beautiful scenery.

I love to do Mongolia, a ranch holiday and Safari. Looking at BBPs Andes pictures that looks fantastic too.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I managed to go for a ride at one of the ranches used in the tv show in Alberta and it was *amazing*! The owners had appeared in the show a few times and knew the cast and everything. I was having a bit of a fangirl moment! :eek:

View attachment 59027View attachment 59028

You lucky thing I just love the scenery in heartland the eye candy also helps as well lol;)

BBP

Visit site
I’ve done a 6 day Iceland (landmannalaugar) tour which was fantastic. Did Spain Andalusia but although enjoyable the hosts were a bit odd and the horse care not quite up to standard I’d like although not awful. Recently did the Hay Triangle with Trans-Wales that was pretty fast riding and beautiful scenery.

I love to do Mongolia, a ranch holiday and Safari. Looking at BBPs Andes pictures that looks fantastic too.
Andes trip was a real highlight of my life, sleeping under the stars with lightening storms around the valley and shooting stars everywhere. The guides heading out early to find the horses in the mountains and then driving them back to the camp ready for the day ahead. My main horse was the ugliest one of the bunch, a little black Criollo with half an ear missing and a big Roman nose, and I was kind of disappointed when they handed him to me, as I’d been picking out all the pretty ones in the corral. But the head guide gave me a big smile and told me that this was his main guide horse, and that he was a great mountain horse, and boy was he right! As you approach the highest pass it’s around 4,500m asl, people were getting altitude sickness and the horses were having to take a few strides and then stop for breath and repeat, but my little guy just stormed past all of them, never stopped for breath, he was just relentless. Great horse and a great experience. As you get to the border, in another high pass, you have to swap from Argentinian horses to Chilean ones. The guides strip their bridles off, toe the bridle to the saddles and turn all the trail horses loose to make their own way back along the trail the several days to their base, hence all the horses in my picture with no riders. Then you walk across the border and get handed your Chilean horse. Mine was super fresh and was intent on charging down the mountain whilst everyone else was being sensible. I always seem to get the bonkers one! But it did mean he and I got a solo flight alongside a low flying condor, which was pretty cool.

It’s not a fast ride, but it was a great life experience.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been to Montana, which was absolutely great.

I always wanted to do a riding holiday in India, but when an opportunity arose a few years ago I decided sadly that I wasn't really up to it any more - long days in the saddle and camping out in the desert.

I really, really would like to do a ride across Wales to the coast, they take 5-6 days and there are some longish days in the saddle but I think that might still be in reach.

I would also like to go to France, I had a taste when riding close to the Somme estuary and through the woodlands, but it was only a weekend.

I've been to Italy too. I liked the riding, it was interesting, led by an ex Italian cavalry man and show jumper, and the horses were very sure footed , but I didn't like Italy much. But I went by myself and I wouldn't recommend going to a country by yourself where you don't speak the language, everyone one was friendly, but it was a bit lonley.

I'm told by those that have done it, that there is nothing to beat riding in Africa.

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
BBP your Andes trip sounds incredible I'll have to hit you up for advice. Having said that my last few trips have been long solo adventures and I think the OH might want to holiday with me at some point ?. I'm pretty sure it was a Brit on a holiday visa that took us out in NZ.
Mongolia was incredible! Tough terrifying riding at times but amazing country and horses. I always seem to get the mad horses though I really should learn. I had a very cute ex racing pony who wanted race everywhere flat but was a total master over rough ground and so surefooted.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

Your pics of Hay looked amazing, it really spurred me on to stick to the F800 and lose weight.
I'd also love to go to Mongolia, if you ever plan any of those adventures, do let me know.

SEL

Visit site
Africa isn't all that expensive, and there isn't too much jet lag - long journey though.

The Delta is pricey because of getting there - but it's fabulous. I've been on quite a few other trips in Africa (Namibia is incredible and very fast) but there's something very special about Botswana.

Must buy that lottery ticket ?

shortstuff99

Visit site
The Delta is pricey because of getting there - but it's fabulous. I've been on quite a few other trips in Africa (Namibia is incredible and very fast) but there's something very special about Botswana.

Must buy that lottery ticket ?
I want to go to Botswana as wild dogs are the only big animal I've never seen. Namibia is also my favourite place in Africa to visit.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Your pics of Hay looked amazing, it really spurred me on to stick to the F800 and lose weight.
I'd also love to go to Mongolia, if you ever plan any of those adventures, do let me know.

Sadly unless I come into some money unexpectedly or I give up owning horses I don’t think I’ll ever afford a holiday again but one can dream.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Andes trip was a real highlight of my life, sleeping under the stars with lightening storms around the valley and shooting stars everywhere. The guides heading out early to find the horses in the mountains and then driving them back to the camp ready for the day ahead. My main horse was the ugliest one of the bunch, a little black Criollo with half an ear missing and a big Roman nose, and I was kind of disappointed when they handed him to me, as I’d been picking out all the pretty ones in the corral. But the head guide gave me a big smile and told me that this was his main guide horse, and that he was a great mountain horse, and boy was he right! As you approach the highest pass it’s around 4,500m asl, people were getting altitude sickness and the horses were having to take a few strides and then stop for breath and repeat, but my little guy just stormed past all of them, never stopped for breath, he was just relentless. Great horse and a great experience. As you get to the border, in another high pass, you have to swap from Argentinian horses to Chilean ones. The guides strip their bridles off, toe the bridle to the saddles and turn all the trail horses loose to make their own way back along the trail the several days to their base, hence all the horses in my picture with no riders. Then you walk across the border and get handed your Chilean horse. Mine was super fresh and was intent on charging down the mountain whilst everyone else was being sensible. I always seem to get the bonkers one! But it did mean he and I got a solo flight alongside a low flying condor, which was pretty cool.

It’s not a fast ride, but it was a great life experience.

I think riding is a great way to see a country. You see so much more than you would either on foot or by vehicle. It’s not just about the riding.

Reactions: BBP

BBP

Visit site
BBP your Andes trip sounds incredible I'll have to hit you up for advice. Having said that my last few trips have been long solo adventures and I think the OH might want to holiday with me at some point ?. I'm pretty sure it was a Brit on a holiday visa that took us out in NZ.
Mongolia was incredible! Tough terrifying riding at times but amazing country and horses. I always seem to get the mad horses though I really should learn. I had a very cute ex racing pony who wanted race everywhere flat but was a total master over rough ground and so surefooted.
I think they like a British guide out in NZ, not sure it gives a true kiwi experience but we are all happy to work for almost nothing as long as we get to ride out in beautiful scenery. There was one of the main guides was a Brit, and then I was replaced by a British guy. Fun story: he met another backpacker whilst they were both in Hawaii, he was just heading to NZ and the other guy had just left. This guy told him he had left a van in Auckland airport car park. He said the keys were in it and if he was willing to pay the car park fee he could take it. So sure enough he checks it out and there is the van, sitting with the keys in it (let’s not discuss the proper paperwork, we were all young and naive/reckless!). So this van tours the whole of the north and South Island with him until he arrives at dart stables in glenorchy looking for a job. I was just planning to move on, so we agree he can have my job if I can have his van. I pay him about NZ$70 for the van and off I go. I toured the whole of the South Island (broke down on the Wild West coast!) and then the north island with it. Just an old electricians van with a corrugated iron floor. I’d sleep in it and have to line up my spine and hipbones with the corrugated lines to get comfy enough to sleep. Anyways, I made it up to my new job in the north island and ended up selling this little van to Tim and Jonelle Price for NZ$150 (sorry guys, turned a profit!). They later sold it to mark todd when they moved over to the UK and it spent its shabby retirement on his farm/racing yard, teaching his daughter how to drive, or at least that’s what I heard. Cool little adventure for a tatty van!

Courbette

Visit site
Ooo I love the Portuguese school of equestrian art! I trained out there and loved seeing the Alter horses.

This is my dream. How long did you stay in Portugal for? Any recomendations?

I used to ride an Alter Real in the UK and he was such a kind and generous horse. I was really sorry to see him go when his owner sold him.

Tarragon

Visit site
I think that my ideal horsey holiday would be either a working ranch based one, or a classic Philippe Karl based training one or trekking in Iceland on those fab ponies. The reason why I haven't done any of these is because my OH is really REALLY not horsey and it wouldn't come with me and would think it was a huge extravagance if I went, and the other thing is that I would really like it to be either one-to-one or I could choose who I went with.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to have been on all my 'dream' holidays, except New Zealand, Botswana and Namibia
I've done India, Kazakhstan, Cuba, Serengeti (tanzania), Argentina, Brazil, and all over Europe.

I love the sense of freedom, the fact that you remember why you love riding horses (no pressure, no schooling!), and the amazing scenery and people I have met along the way.
I remember all my horses from every trip so fondly.

shortstuff99

Visit site
This is my dream. How long did you stay in Portugal for? Any recomendations?

I used to ride an Alter Real in the UK and he was such a kind and generous horse. I was really sorry to see him go when his owner sold him.
I trained here https://www.facebook.com/EEAlcainca/ it is very classical based and the trainers are former students of Nuno Oliveira.

Sealine

Visit site
Horseback holidays I've done over the years include:

Safari in Limpopo valley, Botswana - https://africanhorsesafaris.com/tour/tuli-horse-riding-safari-botswana/
Sierra Nevada in Spain - https://www.spain-horse-riding.com/
Bordeaux region of France
Ireland - https://horse-holiday-farm.com/

All of these were trails rides moving to a different location every night which I find interesting but they tend to be long days in the saddle. Botswana was absolutely amazing and I'd also highly recommend Spain. I found the scenery/riding boring in France but I think we must have picked the wrong part of France. Ireland was a bit disorganised and very wet!

Places I'd still love to go to include:
Ranch in USA/Canada
India
South America

My one piece of advice is to do these trips whilst you're young and fit. I did all of these holidays in my late 30's/40's. Now I'm in my mid 50s I'm not sure my back will cope with consecutive, long days in the saddle.

J&S

Visit site
I must be a very simple soul! The best horsey holiday I have ever had despite riding in quite a few far away places was right here in UK. About 15 years ago my partner drove myself, his young teenage daughter and our two ponies back to the New Forest from Devon. I had lived previously in the Forest and the NF mare we took with us had come to Devon with me but the coloured mare was a newbie to the Forest. We were able to keep the ponies on the edge of the Forest at the home of my pony's breeder and we stayed with my aunt and family really nearby. The weather was hot and sunny and so we got up early each day and rode on the forest, pony and I knowing all the best places!
The rest of the day was spent on the beach and swimming in the sea at Milford. We did the same the next year and this time it was quite rainy but just as good as we didn't have to get up so early and spent longer out riding. Added bonus, of course, was being able to meet up with old friends.