When would you expect livery yards to reopen

Kat

Visit site
Some livery yards may have had to claim they were leisure businesses to claim financial help via Govt grants/loans but by doing so they had to close as leisure businesses were required to close under emergency laws. Not necessarily a simple matter of doing what their clients wanted.

That is only really going to apply to yards that are primarily riding schools. Maybe to some competition centres.

Most livery yards will not have seen a significant decrease in income due to corona because horses still need to be looked after. Many have increased their income by banning owners and charging for services.

southerncomfort

Visit site
On this idea that nobody should be having fun because people are dying....

Personally I think the best way to honour the lives of those who didn't make it is to promise to live every single day of our lives to the fullest and not waste a single moment of whatever life we have left.

None of those poor b****y people knew how little time they had left. We can observe all the rules on travel and social distancing and still do fun, enjoyable things.

Frumpoon

Visit site
It might have been helpful for the BHS to share the information that folk who end up in A&E with broken bones will currently not be given a GA to set those bones unless it is deemed to be an emergency. This may well result in a rather poorer long term healing outcome than would have been expected in normal times.

Bro just advises that folk are sensible, though where he based is it’s cyclists who are taking risks and ending up mashed, rather than horse riders. So continuing to exercise a known steady horse would probably be ‘sensible’, but deciding to sort out a remedial horse who is known to deck riders on a regular basis would not be at the current time.

Just to say you don't need a GA to set broken bones, a little shot of ketamine does the trick

Upthecreek

Visit site
The problem is not the people who quietly go about their activities. The problem is those that go about their activities and feel the need to post everything they are doing on social media for everyone to see. The second group are the ones that risk tighter controls being imposed on everyone because frankly they cannot keep their mouths shut which leaves them wide open to people to question and criticise their actions. If you want to ride, kayak, whatever, fine. Chances are nobody will know unless you broadcast it.

I also think the reasons for people disagreeing with activities done by others falls into two categories. The first is jealousy “why should you do this if I can’t do that” attitude. And also people who wouldn’t understand having a hobby/interest that you are extremely passionate about because they don’t have one. The second is thinking it’s inappropriate to be doing activities some people would consider to be frivolous at such a dreadful time.

I don’t feel that people should have to explain or justify their choices and actions to anyone, providing they are complying fully with legislation and government guidelines whilst doing them. However it just might be sensible and sensitive to keep it to yourself until restrictions are relaxed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just to say you don't need a GA to set broken bones, a little shot of ketamine does the trick
GAs are only used on the more severe and complicated breaks even in normal times. I am just passing on the info that some fractures which would normally be sorted out in theatre are now being dealt with more conservatively, with the patient potentially in more discomfort for longer.

This is far from ideal for anyone, of course, but at the moment (or as of a week ago) it is what was happening, in order to reduce the risk of CV19 transmission to theater personnel.

Kat

Visit site
The problem is not the people who quietly go about their activities. The problem is those that go about their activities and feel the need to post everything they are doing on social media for everyone to see. The second group are the ones that risk tighter controls being imposed on everyone because frankly they cannot keep their mouths shut which leaves them wide open to people to question and criticise their actions. If you want to ride, kayak, whatever, fine. Chances are nobody will know unless you broadcast it.

I also think the reasons for people disagreeing with activities done by others falls into two categories. The first is jealousy “why should you do this if I can’t do that” attitude. And also people who wouldn’t understand having a hobby/interest that you are extremely passionate about because they don’t have one. The second is thinking it’s inappropriate to be doing activities some people would consider to be frivolous at such a dreadful time.

I don’t feel that people should have to explain or justify their choices and actions to anyone, providing they are complying fully with legislation and government guidelines whilst doing them. However it just might be sensible and sensitive to keep it to yourself until restrictions are relaxed.

But how far do you go with not posting on social media in case it upsets others?

If you can't post your perfectly safe hack, is posting your bike ride ok? What about people who can't ride a bike or don't have a bike? Can you post your walk? What about people who don't have footpaths or parks nearby? Should you only post pictures taken while walking on roads? Is that fair on those sheilding and not leaving the house at all?

I posted a picture of the cake I baked perhaps I shouldn't have because some people haven't been able to buy flour.

Perhaps the parents could refrain from winging about having their kids at home because it is insensitive to those who don't have children.

Or perhaps we could post what we want to and remember that everyone is different and has different challenges in their lives. We could even remember that #bekind was everywhere just a few weeks ago.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
But how far do you go with not posting on social media in case it upsets others?

If you can't post your perfectly safe hack, is posting your bike ride ok? What about people who can't ride a bike or don't have a bike? Can you post your walk? What about people who don't have footpaths or parks nearby? Should you only post pictures taken while walking on roads? Is that fair on those sheilding and not leaving the house at all?

I posted a picture of the cake I baked perhaps I shouldn't have because some people haven't been able to buy flour.

Perhaps the parents could refrain from winging about having their kids at home because it is insensitive to those who don't have children.

Or perhaps we could post what we want to and remember that everyone is different and has different challenges in their lives. We could even remember that #bekind was everywhere just a few weeks ago.

Absolutely. Although I’ve personally been fairly conservative about what I’ve posted especially at first as my choice just because someone is enjoying a ride it doesn’t mean their life is perfect. I live on my own for example and my only time I see others apart from shopping once a week is when I’m at the yard. I know others who are riding are NHS workers who use it as their downtime. Most of us have lost people at some point in our lives or struggled in some way. My posts are only seen by my friends so I’d hope they wouldn’t react badly.

I have seen a few smugly say they’re not riding but they hardly ever ride anyway Or their yard wasn’t allowing it which is the real reason they weren’t and now that they are they’re straight up there and in the saddle.

teapot

Visit site

Exactly this - should I not be posting the absolutely gorgeous views on my runs, because of those who are staring at concrete? I know how lucky I am to be spending lockdown where I am, and damn well going to make the most of it. It's really made me appreciate what's on the doorstep.

Upthecreek

Visit site

In the perfect world we could all do what we like without causing offence to anybody because everyone would understand that everyone is different and has different challenges in their lives. Unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world, especially at the moment. I don’t understand why, at this time, it’s such a problem for people to be a bit more thoughtful about what they are posting on social media. For example I know someone who has been posting photos from her safe hacks for weeks. Two days ago she fell off and sustained an open fracture, had air ambulance etc. She has also posted about this and has received some fairly harsh criticism as a result. In ‘normal life’ I don’t think anyone would have an issue with it. At the moment whilst the NHS has other priorities they do.

Perhaps I’m just not that into social media and don’t feel the need to share every aspect of my life with others so I struggle to understand people that do. We can all appreciate and enjoy what we have and I’m not saying we shouldn’t. It’s just my opinion that we could perhaps do that right now without sharing it with the world.

Abi90

Visit site
Well, if we go the way of Wales then not much is going to change except for being able to go to the garden centre and exercise on your own more than once a day I wonder what the BHS and livery yards will do?

They cannot keep people from their livelihoods and horses indefinitely

JFTDWS

Visit site
I find the "keep it secret" attitude bewildering, to be honest. If it's legal, within guidelines and there's no reason not to do it, there should be no reason not to share it with other people. In fact, I'd think it bordering on dishonest to deliberately not share stuff because of the current situation, because that suggests there is some reason for it to be kept secret or to be ashamed of having ridden. There isn't. People are allowed to ride, to exercise their animals and themselves.

The argument that some people are worse off holds no water - some people will always not be able to ride, because they can't afford it, or they live in cities or whatever. Unless you're never going to share anything about your horse life on social media, or in even in conversation, you will always run the risk of demonstrating that inequality to someone. Far better to accept that people have different advantages, priorities and challenges in life, and we're all allowed to share whatever we like.

I pretty much only use social media to share horse stuff. I'm not interested in people's parties, cycles, theatre productions, children, or any of the million other things they post about. That doesn't mean they shouldn't post them.

teapot

Visit site
Well, if we go the way of Wales then not much is going to change except for being able to go to the garden centre and exercise on your own more than once a day I wonder what the BHS and livery yards will do?

They cannot keep people from their livelihoods and horses indefinitely

Livery yards I think may well adjust with some severe/strict measures in place; riding schools, training centres etc are a whole other matter - if they wont let people play golf, a riding lesson won't be happen...

Muddywellies

Visit site

Ive seen a gazilion pics on FB of people spending lockdown in their gardens. Indeed, some of them are having a right old jolly with their barbecues, and super creative cocktails. Could this be deemed insensitive to those without gardens? Oh and hot tub pics. Whilst I'm posting 'through the ears' pics on my slow and steady hacks, others are posting pics of them with a large g&t in their hot tub. This is highly insensitive and downright thoughtless (cos I really really want one ;-) ) In all seriousness, that's just the nature of Facebook and whilst posts are never meant to hurt and upset anyone, especially friends, the whole point of it is to share snippets of our lives. So I haven't refrained from posting a few horsey pics since lockdown.

Frumpoon

Visit site
GAs are only used on the more severe and complicated breaks even in normal times. I am just passing on the info that some fractures which would normally be sorted out in theatre are now being dealt with more conservatively, with the patient potentially in more discomfort for longer.

This is far from ideal for anyone, of course, but at the moment (or as of a week ago) it is what was happening, in order to reduce the risk of CV19 transmission to theater personnel.

There are so many inaccuracies in this assertion I don't really know where to start other than to say there are plenty of clinicians and healthcare worker on here who can deliver info first hand so you should probably stop embarrassing yourself.

The high handed tone doesn't help either

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Frumpoon, I don’t know what your beef is. I have never pretended to be a clinician. I have described myself as a ‘muggle’.

All I am doing, and I have been clear about this from the start, is passing on observations on what is happening in hospitals from my brother who is a general surgeon.

He has shared the information about fractures locally to him to various groups warning folk to be sensible. I have not give him the n’th degree as to exactly which fracture cases are/are not going to theatre. He is too busy trying to work through his backlog of breast cancer cases.

ETA If I have tried to step over the mark, then that is in response to a post which said that the fact that fractures are less likely to go to theatre now is ‘disgusting‘. I apologise for trying to explain in my muggle fashion why GAs are being restricted.

Last edited:

SO1

Visit site
But nothing has really changed other than people being aloud to travel to exercise more & picnic.

Will the BHS change it's stance on riding in order to protect the NHS?

Hopefully the announcement today will encourage yards to return to some semblance of normality

teapot

Visit site
I've seen one training/facility hire centre announce they're opening, get a really mixed response, and then delete their post already tonight...

windand rain

Visit site
Perhaps centers will be able to rent out arenas as we will be able to travel the ponies again. Sorry cross posted Teapot

teapot

Visit site
Perhaps centers will be able to rent out arenas as we will be able to travel the ponies again. Sorry cross posted Teapot

They were offering all facility hire and most of the comments were absolutely slating them... It's a very popular venue too in the south east.

Abi90

Visit site
Facebook is still full of people slating people for wanting to ride their horses at all when they mention boxing up somewhere let alone boxing up. I would say that if riding is your exercise then travelling to do it somewhere else (within reason) should be fine.

I’m almost 100% sure the BHS will have a different view. Especially as Scotland and Wales aren’t allowed to, and they are so keen on everything being fair

Leo Walker

Visit site
Ive seen a gazilion pics on FB of people spending lockdown in their gardens. Indeed, some of them are having a right old jolly with their barbecues, and super creative cocktails. Could this be deemed insensitive to those without gardens? Oh and hot tub pics. Whilst I'm posting 'through the ears' pics on my slow and steady hacks, others are posting pics of them with a large g&t in their hot tub. This is highly insensitive and downright thoughtless (cos I really really want one ;-) ) In all seriousness, that's just the nature of Facebook and whilst posts are never meant to hurt and upset anyone, especially friends, the whole point of it is to share snippets of our lives. So I haven't refrained from posting a few horsey pics since lockdown.

I would love to have a hot tub and drink a G&T in it, or in fact at all!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
They were offering all facility hire and most of the comments were absolutely slating them... It's a very popular venue too in the south east.
Yup, saw that.

I was amazed! Ok you could do the social distancing but I queried their insurance cover and also that any visiting instructor would have no teaching insurance, at least not till the governing bodies permit coaching again. I thought it complete madness to be honest.

At least the likes of Tweseldown and Munsted said they would remain closed and await updates from Equestrian organisations this week.