Where are all the comp reports?! Mine is too boring to post

showpony

Visit site
Agree with this:) I always notice that the same posters make an effort to reply to my posts and I try to do the same back. I did post up a little comp report from Mini Me's show at weekend ( was disaster lol ) over on Tack Room & got a nice bundle of replys:)

I'd agree with this, you need to contribute if you want to expect anything back - doesn't always help but at least you've tried!

Last edited:

HotToTrot

Visit site
I'm afraid I haven't been anywhere or done anything since the event season finished! Baby and horse are both hugely relieved about this and are enjoying covering themselves in mud and poo, respectively.

Lolo

Visit site
This, I am fairly new to the whole competition thing so have concluded that my reports are still rather dull for everyone else!

It takes ages for people to start replying to you as well unless you've got friends on here who're real life friends too...

Dafthoss, how did I miss a YP report!? I love your reports :)

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I'm not sure this counts as a report, but I have been dying to tell people how pleased I am with Crosby (16.2hh, coloured 6yr old that I've had for a year and a half).

Brief background: when I got him he could barely even trot a circle without crashing, even though he had managed a couple of white-knuckle ride rounds at 80cm! I have been developing him slowly with regular dressage and jumping lessons, and have been competing him lightly at BS.

This summer was a bit of a write-off as I was working away a LOT and he was sidelined a little. Now that I am home and studying again (please let this be over soon!), I have put a lot of time into him, and in the last four shows he has been placed in the British Novice, getting his four double clears in less than 2 months and doing well in the Discovery class too (although he gets mentally tired for the second round).

Last weekend, we thought we'd pop out to the Blue Chip Novice qualifier at West Wilts. I got there at the normal time you would for the second class to find that there were 40 in the first class. Bear in mind, I had a whole lot of studying and in fact I had bunked off my mum's birthday celebrations (oops, bad daughter!) to be there. I waited more than 2 hours before I walked the course for the Blue Chip, and the course was twisty and fast. There were several points where you had to decide whether to go inside or outside a jump to make a quick enough time and the numbers in the class were steadily building. I watched quite a few rounds, seeing a few go at break-neck speeds and not quite getting the turns in or going clear. I wasn't sure I had a chance in hell.

Anyway, my turn came up, I was 27th to go, and even though the collecting ring experience was awful (way too full, jumps put up to ridiculous heights, someone schooling with their instructor in the corner, and the sun in your eyes as you're jumping, not ideal!) I was calm, and thought I'd just give it my best shot. We jumped neatly, and he was pulling me to the fences. I have always ridden for a neat clear round, so it was great that he was enjoying a little bit of extra speed. The turns were much easier than predicted, and we crossed the finish line without so much as a knock! It felt so quick I wondered whether I had done the right course!! And much to my surprise (and elation) we had gone into second place. So so thrilled! My 6 year old boy, who has gone from jumping on his head to lifting himself off the floor and feeling a little more established, has done himself proud. In the end, there were 75 competitors in the class, but we still managed to qualify, in fifth place. Blue Chips here we come! Now we have our BN four DCs and BC qual, we can start to move up the levels and be competitive. Hopefully all that safe riding and ground work has been worth the wait.

Here's a little pic from a couple of weeks ago (attached).

Good luck with your competition efforts, and don't be put off by peoples' comments about amateurs competition threads, they aren't forced into reading them! I love reading yours, so please keep posting.

Have a lovely day xxx

photo.php

j1ffy

Visit site
nothing wrong with saying how nice a horse is or a general 'well done'. :smile3:

Ditto this! I'm guilty of reading and running esp if on my phone but I'm trying to post more, even just to say 'well done', as if someone's put that much effort into a post then it's fair to acknowledge it.

B_M - sorry that I missed yours!! I do enjoy reading your progress with the humungous ginger though :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
jessjc, even though I can't see your picture that is a great report. Well done you and neddy :) 75 competitors? Blimey o riley. I'm not surprised the collecting ring was horrendous!

I like everyone's reports, I certainly wouldn't crit the amateur ones, mine are the most boring in the world. I will make an effort to say something on them in future rather than just admiring the pictures and buggering off again!!

j1ffy

Visit site
jessjc - great mini-report and well done on the qualification! It's good to hear that a (speedy) neat clear can do so well :D

For pics, if it's on photobucket just copy the 'Direct' link, then click on the (newish) image button and paste the link into the 'URL' field. It's a bit of a fiddle to have to upload them all to photobucket first mind you, unless they're on your phone in which case I recommend downloading the app!

monte1

Visit site
I do try to reply to as many posts as i can and do quite enjoy writing reports, just dont always get time these days :) little report from me on Dressage ( Stressage??) we have been really trying to improve our flatwork, despite horse being built pretty downhill and rider a bit of a numpty. so we went off to do some dressage on Sunday as a small local venue, very low key friendly place. decided we would do two tests ( never had to learn two before!) prelim 18 and Novice 28 ( our first ever novice test!!) yikes. went with much trepidation and the aim to get through both tests without courses errors, Prelim went OK, horse bit tense and not totally concentrating, I felt we were not together and forward enough, but OK test. so back to trailer to wait for half hour then back to do the novice test, really got him listening and more together in warm up, and off we went, the test rode much better than first time he was a lot less tense , still loads to improve on ( generally need much rounder outline and more up and bounce in the canter ) but all went well and he listened to me and I remembered the test (yaay). as we came out they called results for the prelim test and knock me down with a feather, we only went and won ( 65%) about 12 in class I think. I was over the moon. went back to untack etc, and 20 mins later, got another huge surprise we had won the novice too (67.08%) there were only four in the class, but I was still totally not expecting to win. got some good comments from the judge and lots to work on which is always nice, so onward and upwards. it is a very low key venue and I realise that at a bigger venue (Merrrist Wood Sparsholt etc) these scores would generally not be the winning ones, but still nice to have a positive experience!

LeannePip

Visit site
I do try to reply to as many posts as i can and do quite enjoy writing reports, just dont always get time these days :) little report from me on Dressage ( Stressage??) we have been really trying to improve our flatwork, despite horse being built pretty downhill and rider a bit of a numpty. so we went off to do some dressage on Sunday as a small local venue, very low key friendly place. decided we would do two tests ( never had to learn two before!) prelim 18 and Novice 28 ( our first ever novice test!!) yikes. went with much trepidation and the aim to get through both tests without courses errors, Prelim went OK, horse bit tense and not totally concentrating, I felt we were not together and forward enough, but OK test. so back to trailer to wait for half hour then back to do the novice test, really got him listening and more together in warm up, and off we went, the test rode much better than first time he was a lot less tense , still loads to improve on ( generally need much rounder outline and more up and bounce in the canter ) but all went well and he listened to me and I remembered the test (yaay). as we came out they called results for the prelim test and knock me down with a feather, we only went and won ( 65%) about 12 in class I think. I was over the moon. went back to untack etc, and 20 mins later, got another huge surprise we had won the novice too (67.08%) there were only four in the class, but I was still totally not expecting to win. got some good comments from the judge and lots to work on which is always nice, so onward and upwards. it is a very low key venue and I realise that at a bigger venue (Merrrist Wood Sparsholt etc) these scores would generally not be the winning ones, but still nice to have a positive experience!

where were you competing? am in hampshire too and always looking for little local dressages to go to :)

monte1

Visit site
Hi there Leannepip, I think we may have been at Three Maids Hunter trail a few weeks ago at the same time, I met another H&Hounder there, but didnt realise you were there too! it is a small riding club called Ewshott, very friendly place, the warm up and competiton surface are not perfect, just natural sand, but perfectly acceptable (especialy if like me you ride on grass 99% of the time anyway!) they have a website you can google. also occasionally Rycroft Riding Centre in Eversley have events .

JGC

Visit site
What a shame! A lot of the people posting on here saying that their posts didn't get any replies are people whose reports I particularly like to read! Don't know how I missed so many :(

leflynn

Visit site
I got my best ever score in a dressage test yesterday, 67%! It was a w&t, and judged very leinientlty!

I've just looked at the photos, I'd have given me about 57! Pony looks like a giraffe! On a plus point I don't ride like a complete idiot any more, normally end up with clown feet sticking out. I've improved on that at any rate!

Snap for me the other weekend!

Jules19

Visit site
Well I was at the same place as Jesstickle, at a lower level :p

Similar results, however I was thrilled as first time out on my 4yo, so used to having to go out for about a year to settle ex racers into the whole relaxing at competition venue thing; the 3 month broken ISH managed to cope with loading, travelling, warming up with a few hoony ponies, first time in an indoor, stood on the box and came home without turning a hair, oh, and she came third out of 10. :D

jessjc

Visit site
jessjc, even though I can't see your picture that is a great report. Well done you and neddy :) 75 competitors? Blimey o riley. I'm not surprised the collecting ring was horrendous!

I like everyone's reports, I certainly wouldn't crit the amateur ones, mine are the most boring in the world. I will make an effort to say something on them in future rather than just admiring the pictures and buggering off again!!

Thanks Jesstickle - I hate the collecting ring at the best of times... You should def put your reports up, we all like to read them, and I suspect the moaners secretly do too!

jessjc

Visit site
jessjc - great mini-report and well done on the qualification! It's good to hear that a (speedy) neat clear can do so well :D

For pics, if it's on photobucket just copy the 'Direct' link, then click on the (newish) image button and paste the link into the 'URL' field. It's a bit of a fiddle to have to upload them all to photobucket first mind you, unless they're on your phone in which case I recommend downloading the app!

Thanks so much J1ffy! I shall try and get back to the photos soon...for now, I had better stop procrastinating!

jessjc

Visit site

Similar results, however I was thrilled as first time out on my 4yo, so used to having to go out for about a year to settle ex racers into the whole relaxing at competition venue thing; the 3 month broken ISH managed to cope with loading, travelling, warming up with a few hoony ponies, first time in an indoor, stood on the box and came home without turning a hair, oh, and she came third out of 10. :D

It's so pleasing when they surprise us like this - long may it continue well done!

wadders

Visit site
I'm much more a lurker than a poster. :)
But I did do the indoor hunter trial at BCA on Sunday and despite a tricky course (including a treble combination on a bounce striding with a water tray under the 2nd element!) we got round with 12 faults but also in what I calculated to be the quickest time in my class. So aim for next outing - stop knocking things down!
And the pro photographer always seems to leave before my class starts, so no pics. Very annoying.

dafthoss

Visit site
It takes ages for people to start replying to you as well unless you've got friends on here who're real life friends too...

Dafthoss, how did I miss a YP report!? I love your reports :)

I don't know, it was back in the summer and I had probably all ready told you most of it. It was that long ago I can't even remember what it was on!

Jesstickle

Visit site

Next time I will come and take photos. Now I know the beast will stand on the trailer indefinitely (albeit grouchily) I can play photographer :)

How handsome is Crosby? And what a great photo. The togs always seem to get me with my gob open or my eyes shut or just generally riding like a plank. I refuse to believe that is how I look all the time. Surely I don't?!

jessjc

Visit site
Thank you - he is handsome, and he knows it!! Just glad that he's finally trying a bit harder, and coming off the forehand (sadly built a bit downhill, but I think he has a little more growing to do so hopefully this'll iron out soon..) - hurrah!

I know - I usually seem to be pulling funny faces too - I shouldn't worry, I'm sure there are decent shots of you out there too!

Next time I will come and take photos. Now I know the beast will stand on the trailer indefinitely (albeit grouchily) I can play photographer :)

How handsome is Crosby? And what a great photo. The togs always seem to get me with my gob open or my eyes shut or just generally riding like a plank. I refuse to believe that is how I look all the time. Surely I don't?!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Hang on....this thread is fab lots of reports & replies...
Maybe we should have a week/weekend round up thread (along the lines of the weekend plans) would be nice for people to tell their successes (or failures in my case :D) It would mean that people who want to do reports can do so without worrying about it disappearing without being seen.
Happy to be told its a daft idea ;)