Where are all the missing microchipped dogs?

magdalena

Visit site
Stolen to order, gone abroad, deliberately killed, accidental death, natural death, chip removed.

Firstly you cannot remove chip. Secondly, both accidental and natural death would have been recorded i.e dog would not be left dead on the side of the road or anywhere else. When body picked up it would have been scanned. When you say "gone abroad" do you mean the dog or the owner? Deliberately killed? not on that scale. Stolen to order maybe but also not on that scale.

magdalena

Visit site
You can remove a chip, with a razor blade and a magnet I am reliably told.
What kind of low life/thief told you this. Remove a chip with a razor and magnet?
What kind of suffering would this be to a dog. Yes it could be removed but the dog would have to be sadated and go thorugh the surgery that is s if the chip was still where it was inserted and was easily located. At the great cost may I add. Not something the thief would be willing to invest in.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well yes the sort of low life that told me that would not have bothered with paying a vet to do it. He did seem to know what he was talking about though. I can't think of anything worse.

magdalena

Visit site
Well yes the sort of low life that told me that would not have bothered with paying a vet to do it. He did seem to know what he was talking about though. I can't think of anything worse.

Also how anybody/thief know that the dog has got a micro chip?

Moomin1

Visit site
What kind of low life/thief told you this. Remove a chip with a razor and magnet?
What kind of suffering would this be to a dog. Yes it could be removed but the dog would have to be sadated and go thorugh the surgery that is s if the chip was still where it was inserted and was easily located. At the great cost may I add. Not something the thief would be willing to invest in.

You can't be that naive surely?!

magdalena

Visit site
You can't be that naive surely?!

Naive? No, just a animal lover who knows and have some proof of the wrong doings by some web site icluding stealing dogs, but removing a chip on a dog with a razor without sadation is rather a shock

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Naive? No, just a animal lover who knows and have some proof of the wrong doings by some web site icluding stealing dogs, but removing a chip on a dog with a razor without is rather a shock

Chips are routinely removed by unscrupulous people who steal dogs for bait. They don't care about anaesthetic or suffering. Though many dogs that are used as bait dogs don't survive long enough for them to be traced in any case, and their bodies will just get burned/dumped/hidden where nobody will find them once their use is done.

magdalena

Visit site
Chips are routinely removed by unscrupulous people who steal dogs for bait. They don't care about anaesthetic or suffering. Though many dogs that are used as bait dogs don't survive long enough for them to be traced in any case, and their bodies will just get burned/dumped/hidden where nobody will find them once their use is done.

Forgive me for being naive again, when you say "steal dogs for bait" and "dogs that are used as bait dogs" What exactly do you mean?

allyp

Visit site
Not personally... but it does happen - have picked strays several times that showed signs of being used as bait and have colleagues that have dealt with dead dogs (and cats)

Not had one where chip been obviously removed but aware it has happened on occasional basis. Have however had greyhounds whos ears have been crudely chopped off to prevent tracing through tattoos. Clearly done with scissors and on couple occasions a knife

magdalena

Visit site
Not personally... but it does happen - have picked strays several times that showed signs of being used as bait and have colleagues that have dealt with dead dogs (and cats)

Not had one where chip been obviously removed but aware it has happened on occasional basis. Have however had greyhounds whos ears have been crudely chopped off to prevent tracing through tattoos. Clearly done with scissors and on couple occasions a knife

Are you a dog warden?

twiglet84

Visit site
Firstly you cannot remove chip. Secondly, both accidental and natural death would have been recorded i.e dog would not be left dead on the side of the road or anywhere else. When body picked up it would have been scanned. When you say "gone abroad" do you mean the dog or the owner? Deliberately killed? not on that scale. Stolen to order maybe but also not on that scale.

I had a client bring me in the microchip from her cat. I was totally shocked that she had it in a money bag. She wanted me to implant it into her other cat. I asked her how she came about getting the chip. Turns out the cat died so she attempted taxidermy and found the chip!!!

If someone wanted to they could remove an id chip.

Our biggest problem is chips unregistered or chips which haven't got up to date contact details.

x

magdalena

Visit site
I had a client bring me in the microchip from her cat. I was totally shocked that she had it in a money bag. She wanted me to implant it into her other cat. I asked her how she came about getting the chip. Turns out the cat died so she attempted taxidermy and found the chip!!!

Our biggest problem is chips unregistered or chips which haven't got up to date contact details.

x

What do you mean "I had a client bring me the microchip from her cat" ? Client ? Clietns are at hairdresseres etc

magdalena

Visit site

x

Sorry just found out you are vet nurse.

allyp

Visit site
Yes :)
The biggest problem with microchips is people not updating details. About 55%-60% of the chipped dogs we pick up have out of date iNFO.
I'd still rather find a chipped dog as at least you have its name, usually age and are sometimes able to find out other info

Moomin1

Visit site
Yes lots, I am accusing the web site called doglost to be thiefs. That for sure means there is something wrong with me. Why would I pick on them for no reason????

And accusing random people on a forum of being 'supporters' of doglost with pretty much any comment they make!! Odd.

magdalena

Visit site
Yes :)
The biggest problem with microchips is people not updating details. About 55%-60% of the chipped dogs we pick up have out of date iNFO.
I'd still rather find a chipped dog as at least you have its name, usually age and are sometimes able to find out other info

When you read micro chip all you get is number. No name