Which rug brands would you buy? A Poll

Do you have any tips for me?

• Total voters

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Rambo for me fits like a glove and have lasted ages...
smile.gif

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Ooh a new shop - more details please
grin.gif

I only buy Weatherbeta for my TBx because they always seem to fit her so well. I've just discovered Shires rugs (after saying I'd never buy one
blush.gif
) fit ponio perfectly so have got a couple of them too
smile.gif

brightmount

Visit site
I'm wondering how committed you are to these brands, because like most other people who have replied, I wouldn't buy any of them. I have had many years experience of buying rugs and the mid-price or cheap ones are a false economy.

If you really want to give the public what they want, I would stock primarily Horsewear, if you want to offer a range of budgets, then you have the cheaper Amigos, but Rambo are my favourite of all time and I wouldn't buy anything else now, although I do have several Fals.

To cater for different builds of horse, you could consider Mark Todd and William Funnell.

Everyone's favourite on HHO from what I gather are the Premier Equine rugs, so you will be in competition with those!

amandathepanda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Everyone's favourite on HHO from what I gather are the Premier Equine rugs, so you will be in competition with those!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, that's interesting! Was planning on having a chat with Premier Equine anyway as I sort of know the guy who owns the company - obviously I want to stock what is going to sell so if Premier Equine is the rug of choice then it would make sense for me to stock them & I know they do have a few shops that stock their products in addition to their website & trade stands
grin.gif
I want to stock Horsewear but I do know they aren't the easiest of companies to deal with unfortunately although their rugs are great
smile.gif

wench

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have had many years experience of buying rugs and the mid-price or cheap ones are a false economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree with this... last year I bought a full neck mw t/o 6ft9 off ebay for £40 inc postage, as I refused to pay £40 for a neck rug for one of his exisiting rugs... one of the best rugs I have had. Might not last years but its good so far

Pasha

Visit site
I only use Horsewear and Bucas rugs - have tried most others and find they only last a year.... saying that, probably why shops mostly stock the other brands to keep you coming back to buy more!

Faro

Visit site
Horseware for me too - Rambo range. Other favourites are Mark Todd. Each of mine has both a Rambo and a Mark Todd heavyweight turnout. For lightweight turnouts I thought the William Funnell Range was very good value and I also have one lightweight turnout from JHL (Jumpers Horse Line) which was extremely good for the price.

Don't use stable rungs as all mine live out 24/7.

MarleyandDarcy

Visit site
QR - I voted WB as they fit both my horses but also love Shires - especially their fleece rug with shoulder gussets, only fleece rug that fits my big shouldered/chested mare. And much nicer fleece than most
smile.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't buy any of those brands. I only buy Rambo or Fal rugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very glad I did this poll before placing my order with Masta - now having a quick re-think! There may suddenly be a new Fal rug stockist & in Cheltenham... and hopefully Premier Equine too!
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
A few of my boarders have bought Masta. While they do look like they are well made, I have to say, these are the worst rugs I've dealt with. Every single Masta which has come here has only lasted one winter. I still have all my Rambos and Fals that I bought years ago in England and they are all still going strong - so for me, it really would be false economy to buy any of the other makes of rugs.

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horseware, but not yet tried PE. But deffo nothing else, tried them all except PE, Horseware best by a mile off.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ What she (he :worried:) said
grin.gif
Used Rambo years ago, deserted themn and tried just about every brand under the sun since and all unsatisfactory, just sold a horse and bought three Rambo Supremes, fantastic, feel like I've come home, will never buy anything else again!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have Amigos MW t/os, Rambo fly rugs, Shires and Weatherbeeta LW t/os. Mark Todd No fill stable rugs. I also have HW and MW rugs of no brand, cheapies on ebay.

What I do like is rugs with Polypropylene outers which are great for those on mats as they keep more clean and don't soak up any damp.

ecrozier

Visit site
I like Mark Todd the best, must admit I have never owned a horseware rug tho as have stuck with the MTs.

The MTs seem to fit both my two really well. I have alse had a weatherbeeta or two - not bed, a masta or two - horrible, and have one JHL rug for my boy which seems fine. The masta we got last year for OH's big chunky mare was absolutely ridiculous, it looked like a miniskirt, was a pain to use and lasted less than 6 months before falling apart. I replaced it with a MT combo heavyweight which is still going strong!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Only Fal or Bucas for my turn out rugs, as they are really sturdy, well shaped and last for years. Fly rugs, I like the Bucas or the Amigo. Can't stand Masta or Weatherbeeta , they just don't fit my horses and they don't last well.

But to be honest having had a saddlery - it really doesn't matter what you stock - your customers will want something else. I used to have people coming in asking for the old canvas turnouts and the jute stable rugs - and that was only 4 years ago in Glos. You also need something you can be seriously competitive with. So many hours of my time and my staff's time was taken up with people wanting to check out exactly the right rug, find out the prices/sizes etc and then bought of ebay. I eventually decided to close my business as I was paying for retail premises that provided a shop window for ebay. I can't blame the customer but it destroys your business.

Horseware are a nightmare to deal with, there returns system is hopeless, their invoicing system is even worse and whatever you order something else will be delivered. Also watch out for the reps adding items to your order. If you want to PM me I can give you a bit of info about some of the dodgy equestrian companies out there to avoid and some of the ones that are brilliant.

Good luck and fingers crossed it works out for you

catdragon

Visit site
Depends on the build of the horse I think.

My chunky cob has a mix of Masta and Amigo, tbh, everytime I replace one I am swaying towards the Amigo as the fit of Masta rugs can be hit and miss
frown.gif
and I find the Amigo great value for money and they fit my girlie well.

I like the quality of Mark Todd, but the fit is shocking on my cob!

tabithakat64

Visit site
If I had the moeny I would buy Fal all the time. I find Weatherbeeta fit my horses well and last better than other makes usually. I also have Mark Todd, Shires and Premier Equine rugs all of which fit my native cross and cob. I wouldn't buy a Masta rug
laugh.gif