Who goes horse shopping for a particular breed?!

silv

Visit site
Seems to be a few appaloosa fans on here. A good few years ago I was wanting a smallish horse to use for trekking, trail riding and low level dressage having always liked the appearance of the blanket spot appies that's the only type I looked for and found one quite quickly. He was a great wee guy and spent 12 years with me. I lost him to cushings last year aged 22 after a few years of happy retirement.

fHlZ3tb.jpg

14iKlO5.jpg

When he retired I decided I wanted to go back to showing( Riding Horse) and dressaging at a decent level so looked for type, so long as it was a "nice person" with good conformation and movement I wasn't worried about the breeding although there were some stallions stock I would have avoided if need be.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I just wanted a horse! lol So bought what I could afford at 18 years old on pub waitress wages which was a 7 month old Section D colt. I knew nothing of the breed at the time & now know more than I care to imagine & love them! He's still with me & will be 15 this year & I'd love another but I struggled to find a big enough one as I'm 5ft 10. So I bought a yearling last year that will finish 16-16.2hh & not based on breed but based on the fact I love his grand sire & his ability.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Have a Fell and can totally agree with you on the good old natives. Have 4 natives and would never go back to big horses again.

Fells are great too - I have a ridden one and she is just so much fun. Jumps, loves a gallop but drives and lead reins for the toddler too. I'm hoping the Dales will be as good under saddle!

hellfire

Visit site
Fells are great too - I have a ridden one and she is just so much fun. Jumps, loves a gallop but drives and lead reins for the toddler too. I'm hoping the Dales will be as good under saddle!

They really are a fantastic breed and all rounder. Very good easy keepers too. Looks at grass and puts on weight! The Dales are extremely similar in characteristics and under saddle. A little thicker set and more bone but still wonderfully comfy in all gaits, great ground covering smooth trot I don't even have to rise to if I didn't want to, willing to please, loves jumping and a cheeky character but sane and sensible. I keep mine bare foot as great feet and sure footed. I use boots if we're doing long trail rides. You won't be disappointed with a Dales pony. As said mines a fell but had a Dales X mare as a child and she was fantastic! The Arab in her meant she was at times a bit more mareish than she should of been! Good thing is they are great for a family as small enough for a child and usually sensible enough as lead rein ponies but stocky and weight carrying capabilities for a adult. They can turn their hoof to most things. Always loved thier look too. That's why I chose that breed. I looked for a Dales or Fell. Ideally I wanted a Friesian but reality set in 😂. They are 3 breeds closely related.

Reactions: tda

JJS

Visit site
I actively went out looking for a Gypsy Cob the last time around and it was a very good decision on my part. I'd never been particularly bothered by breed before, but with my confidence in tatters and an OAP and a retiree to fund, common sense said I needed something sane, sensible, and low maintenance. Gypsy Cobs ticked all of those boxes and were within my budget, unlike some of the native breeds that would also have suited. Mary was the first one I viewed and she hasn't disappointed.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'd sell a kidney for a CB - my childhood dream to own one!

The aforementioned aside, i'm certainly more of a 'type' person - tall with a bit of bone but not quite into HW cob territory.

I think I've only known one, many years ago at one of my groom jobs. Quirky and self opinionated and I loved her. I've done a bit of research and whilst I'd like to meet a couple more I think I'd go that route if I could.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Bay welsh d’s seem to be my poison. Having said that I am selling my young mare as she isn’t what I need right now and I am trying to avoid Welsh’s for my next one. Tried a few sporty cobs but they feel so different after years of riding Welsh. What’s similar to welsh d but without the attitude?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I was after an ISH type - safe and sane but with ability. An ISH turned out to be perfect!
I have had various other breeds and breed unknowns too though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I bought Shetlands because they were small. I bought warmbloods for the way they moved, not because they were warmblood. And in any case warmbloods aren't a breed and with some registrations they arent even a type. Everything else I've just bought what caught my eye.

I recently looked specifically for an ex racer TB, not because it was a TB but because I knew an ex racer was going to be a cheap and hopefully rideable companion. I would have happily bought any breed of. lightweight of the same size, as well put together and the same price. (Which there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell 👺 of finding 😁)

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Bay welsh d’s seem to be my poison. Having said that I am selling my young mare as she isn’t what I need right now and I am trying to avoid Welsh’s for my next one. Tried a few sporty cobs but they feel so different after years of riding Welsh. What’s similar to welsh d but without the attitude?

This might sound strange, but an Arab might suit.

The Trooper

Visit site
I went out looking for a big shire mare, found Bonnie.

I was after a mare because i seem to be able to connect to them better and form a stronger bond. I also have a dream of taking an ID x Shire foal (Hopefully a Filly) from Bonnie, albeit in 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

Myloubylou

Visit site
This might sound strange, but an Arab might suit.
Think she’s a D with a high percentage of Arab blood - looks quite araby. She’s sharp and coupled with youth and me not having loads of time that’s needed to build her confidence she’s prone to exploding when something sets her off. My other d has much calmer temperament even when young

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
When I was looking I went out trying to find cobs, ID's, Connie's and anything with that sort of build as I didn't want another TB again..... came home with a TB X Trakehner..... I just can't seem to stay away from them :D

Pippity

Visit site
I would have really liked an Iberian or Iberian-cross when I went shopping this time, but it was the least important box for a horse to tick so I ended up with my little HW cob instead. I may look for an Iberian if I ever get another, but it's unlikely to be the highest priority on my list.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I haven't ever set out looking for a particular breed but I've somehow always ended up with something Welsh!

I won't be looking again for a couple of years but I will be looking for a Dales. (I will probably end up with another Welsh!).

gina2201

Visit site
I've always looked for thoroughbreds and in particular ex racers so that kind of limited me to the breed.

For my bf I was open to looking at almost anything but in my mind some thing similar to or an ID x TB. We ended up with another full TB albeit a much stockier type who is very laid back he's almost horizontal!

Alibear

Visit site
First 3 horses I wasn't bothered about breed I just wanted a nicely put together horse that was a suitable height and temperament for me.
Then I decided I wanted a Spanish horse and got a PRE , he was lovely for a while and then the wheels fell off, as nice as he was I realised they are not the breed for me.
Then I took up western and if you have a fill QH there's a lot more classes you can do and I was having lessons where they bred them so that's how I ended up with my first QH.
I already know they are the right breed for me now. It may change but I highly doubt it. Fab fun little horses with plenty of power and a great attitude.

rascal

Visit site
Always loved cobs and natives, and that is what we have, One day i would like an appy x ID, not sure if the health problems our previous appy cross would put me off.
Fine types, really not my cup of tea.

LegOn

Visit site
I kinda wanted a Connie x ID or oversized connie but not grey - bought one with no breeding recorded & had him DNA'd & he is a Connie x ID!!

BOWS28

Visit site
I wanted something sane, preferably a gelding and not a WB.... i ended up with a nutty chestnut mare that happens to be a WB!! o_O Would not change her for the world now. My horse of a life time xx

Asha

Visit site
Yep, I do. If im looking for something as a project I would look for a WB. When i was looking for something for me or my daughter to ride it was Irish Draught all the way. I just love the breed. Mind you my latest project seems to have the irish draught temperament , big golden retriever , food orientated and sweet. Time will tell if shes like that under saddle.

Ouch05

Visit site
Yes I wanted a TB ex racer to retrain myself. So that is what I got a 4 year old off the track and that was 6 years ago

Annagain

Visit site
I fell into Welshie ownership about 30 years ago. When I lost him 14 years ago I really wanted another. I went to see a 15.1hh black sec D at a dealer and came away with a 16.3hh grey ID x something! I 've put on a bit of weight since then so it's a good job I don't still have a Welshy or I'd be feeling very guilty about riding him (or more likely I'd have done something about it by now!) Then, a friend was having a bit of trouble with her Sec D a while back so I got on him for 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes felt like coming home. The second my bum hit the saddle I just felt right and I decided there and then my next one will be Welsh or at least part Welsh. I just need to lose 3 stone first! I didn't think I'd feel like that, I surprised myself but now I know my fate is sealed!