Who goes horse shopping for a particular breed?!

oldie48

Visit site
I can honestly say that I've never gone out to buy a particular breed of horse or pony. I've ended up buying what I found that would do the job and that I could afford and most importantly, ride (even if I've been a bit over horsed in the early days). I've also always been drawn to finer horses but that is just my preference not that I am anti the heaver breeds. As a result I've had all sorts, mostly with 50% or more TB in the mix. There are often comments on the forum about people going out to buy a particular breed but do people really say, " I want an X or Y breed?" Just curious really. Rose is a Hanovarian but I didn't know that until I saw her passport, yes she is shiny with lovely paces but she's the coolest , calmest mare you could wish to meet. Bisto was 7/8th TB but anyone who saw him thought he was a warmblood, I had a full tb by Petoski, he was a lazy git and the safest horse to hack, you could have put your granny on him! Tell all!

ihatework

Visit site
I have never in my life set out to buy a particular breed!

But I could see how people would if they are wanting Iberian / TB / pure bred native

Visit site
I have always known what I am going for - mostly shetlands! My gran bought me my Dartmoor as I had always wanted one and he is slightly (8in!) bigger than my shetlands! After him I got my Fell pony. A breed I specifically set out for. The TB's kind of fell into my lap from work. They weren't something I would have bought if I had never gone into racing, I wont have another either. I am a native pony person at heart!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes me, I just love arab horses and high % part breds. It really would have to be a super special horse/pony to tempt me away from arabs. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I went out to buy a highland. Then I went out to buy another. Then I went out to buy a bigger, faster horse for polocrosse (secretly wanting a QH), bought a half blooded QH and decided to quit polocrosse anyway :p

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I've been saying for years that I just wanted a nice steady cob to plod about on at various times when my beasts were being monsters and have just bought a nice steady cob so I guess I did! She was also the only one I saw 😬 ElleSkywalker, buying horses ill-advisedly since 1996.......

Nudibranch

Visit site
Never looked for a specific breed until last August when I decided I was utterly sick of vet's bills for big horses. Decided a Dales would tick all the boxes so bought a 3yo. I'll never go back! She's friendly, bold, unflappable and soaks everything up. Has some of the best feet I've ever seen, and that's after many years of bf horses. She seems to enjoy jumping nettle patches for fun so I might even get back to a bit of xc with her eventually, which is something I never thought I'd say. It's all the fun of childhood again with a native!

I'd also happily buy another CB, although they are like hen's teeth these days and even a Dales is less difficult to find.

paddy555

Visit site
but do people really say, " I want an X or Y breed?"

yes I do. When I wanted pure bred arabs that was all I looked for and bought, same with Peruvians. Later I wanted a criollo, didn't want any other breed so that was what I looked for and bought. If I hadn't found one I wouldn't have bought another similar bred horse.

windand rain

Visit site
Yes only have British M&M ponies as we buy babies to show in hand. I have an overwhelming love of (teddy bears) highland ponies so that is what I look for OH is a welsh lover so we have one of those too

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't look for a specific breed but am always drawn to a particular type. I have Clydesdales, a Shire, an IDx, a Westphalian Kaltblut and currently a cob. But I did have a TBxWelshD for 20 yrs.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Me. I specifically wanted an Appaloosa or cross so got one. My horse of a lifetime.

Next one wasn’t breed specific as he was ‘breeding unknown’ on passport and a nice ISH type. Can’t say I went shopping for him as I took him for free knowing he was broken. But I knew him well from a previous job and he came to me as a companion and had 3 lovely easy years with me before being pts last year.

Can’t say I was specifically looking for another one, but I had always dreamed of an Akhal Teke and have a soft spot for Spanish horses. Saw a cross of the two and knew I had to do it 😜 Can’t really say if I’d have definitely bought her if she wasn’t that particular mix, although I like to think I would have. Time will tell how she turns out as she’s only 5 months old atm...

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
Yes I remembered a Dales / Fell type pony I had as a child, he was fab, so thought id go down that route, Dales all the way now, I don't want to jump (even tho they can) and they have never said no to anything I've asked. What more could you ask for 😁

only_me

Visit site
Well since I’m surrounded by ISH there is a very high chance I’d come home with an ISH lol.

But if I wanted a Connie I’d go looking for a Connie - not much point browsing for a partbred if I want one to sell on for showing/workers.

Good Connie x Tb are like gold dust here - the dun ones especially. If you’ve a nice Connie x Tb that will measure in at 148 you will make good money. Even if they are bigger they still command a high price.

Pc2003

Visit site
I always buy Connemara. From Ireland. I’m on my 3rd now. But they suit the type that I’m after so they kind of kill 2 birds with 1 stone if you know what I mean.
I find them athletic, talented, loving, laid back and great fun

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes Irish draughts .To be made into gents hunters .
For myself it’s usually sport horses in their various types for myself I have a definite type I buy for myself they are all the same but different

hellfire

Visit site
Never looked for a specific breed until last August when I decided I was utterly sick of vet's bills for big horses. Decided a Dales would tick all the boxes so bought a 3yo. I'll never go back! She's friendly, bold, unflappable and soaks everything up. Has some of the best feet I've ever seen, and that's after many years of bf horses. She seems to enjoy jumping nettle patches for fun so I might even get back to a bit of xc with her eventually, which is something I never thought I'd say. It's all the fun of childhood again with a native!

I'd also happily buy another CB, although they are like hen's teeth these days and even a Dales is less difficult to find.

Have a Fell and can totally agree with you on the good old natives. Have 4 natives and would never go back to big horses again.

Wheels

Visit site
Nope, although this time around I did quite fancy an RID or a reg connemara but if I'd found the right horse in another breed / type then I would have gone for that

As it happens I ended up with a reg. Connie who is the coolest dude going :)

I go for a certain type of temperament rather than a look or stamp, happy with various sizes, shapes, colours etc as long as the temperament

Clydiegirl

Visit site
I had a cob and a Clydesdale and decided to get a cross of them both so bought my drum baby. I then lost both the cob and the Clydesdale so actively went looking for another of each. I much prefer heavier breeds with lots of hair.