Who goes horse shopping for a particular breed?!

Visit site
It's lovely to see so many people loving fell ponies! My Jasper was one of the best ponies I ever had! Once this herd has depleted a bit I will get myself another one. But that won't be for a few years yet!

Snoozy

Visit site
I look for arabs/PBAs and Highlands. Although am occasionally distracted by Section Ds 🤷‍♀️

J&S

Visit site
I have on three occasions gone shopping for a New Forest, only successful once, but she was so worth while. On second attempt I came home with a coloured pony with a three generation pedigree and on third attempt came home with a native x of unknown breed. Pleased to say I have been, and am, entirely happy with all of them.

Batgirl

Visit site
Started riding when i was early 20s, first 3 horses I went shoping for a type/able to do the job:
14'2 Cob
17hh ISH
17'2 Wb X Tb

Now I am more experienced I went out to buy my dream horse: a pure bred Clydesdale :) Bought him in September, backed him Oct-Dec and couldn't be happier.

{138171}

Visit site
Me. I specifically wanted an Appaloosa or cross so got one. My horse of a lifetime.

Next one wasn’t breed specific as he was ‘breeding unknown’ on passport and a nice ISH type. Can’t say I went shopping for him as I took him for free knowing he was broken. But I knew him well from a previous job and he came to me as a companion and had 3 lovely easy years with me before being pts last year.

Can’t say I was specifically looking for another one, but I had always dreamed of an Akhal Teke and have a soft spot for Spanish horses. Saw a cross of the two and knew I had to do it 😜 Can’t really say if I’d have definitely bought her if she wasn’t that particular mix, although I like to think I would have. Time will tell how she turns out as she’s only 5 months old atm...
Picture please

MagicMelon

Visit site
Not usually, only time I did look for one particular breed was when I really wanted a Welsh D so I went out and got one! And I probably will have that urge for one again. But generally Im open minded and seem to quite often end up with one with some arab blood in it even though Id never go out looking for one with arab in it! These horses just seem to find me ;) I do look for specific types though, like I like eventing so obviously I choose lighter types.

JoannaC

Visit site
Always an Arab for me although next purchase Is something my novice husband can safely hack out, he rides my old boy in the school but too sharp out hacking so this time my only criteria is super safe hack good with tractors and lorries. This is quite daunting as usually i'd go straight to an arab breeder so not sure what i'm going to end up with!

Visit site
Always an Arab for me although next purchase Is something my novice husband can safely hack out, he rides my old boy in the school but too sharp out hacking so this time my only criteria is super safe hack good with tractors and lorries. This is quite daunting as usually i'd go straight to an arab breeder so not sure what i'm going to end up with!

A lot of racehorses are brilliant in traffic! Just as an FYI ;)

humblepie

Visit site
Another for a ex racehorse. Currently have two, previous horse before that didn't race but was bred I think with a view to hunting/P2P and one before that was an ex racehorse, mind you she was back in 1986 long before ROR classes existed.

Silverglen

Visit site
I wanted a WB, got a cob x
I wanted a WB, got a welsh
I wanted a WB, *finally* got a WB 😂
None of my ponies as a child were what I wanted either, salty is the first in 27 years of horse ownership that is what I actually set out to get and even that was a complete fluke 😂

I did the opposite. Wanted a cob that had been there, got the t shirt, was well trained and safe. I bought a young wb that had very little knowledge in the basics, but made me feel safe. It was still a stupid idea, and a very expensive one it turns out. Should have kept looking. 😂

Fransurrey

Visit site
Well, 20 years ago I was looking for a 14-15 hh cobby type as my first horse. Ended up taking on a 12 hh Exmoor cross (with a tank, I think!). He's my 27 yo that will probably be pts soon. Ten years ago in June I needed a companion for him and was looking at 13-14 hh ponies. Then I saw a 12.1-2 hh Exmoor and took her on. This last couple of weeks has been all about future proofing her in preparation for my old boy going and I went out looking for cobby types again. Found one!! Ok, it's a mare (gelding would fit better into the yard) and a show cob (ha ha ha, as if that'll ever happen), but she is a good size for me (15.1) and safe (#1 criteria). she's being vetted this week, so fingers crossed I kind of have what I was looking for, this time round!! She's the right colour, at least (black)!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yes.

I wanted a TB. I bought one. I wanted a WB. I bought one.

I know what I like and I'll only buy that. Has to be suitable for dressage, brown and a boy. I knew what movement I was looking for in each and with the WB what bloodlines I didn't want.