Who pays? Trailer dilemma

Queenbee

Visit site
I don't think she should have to pay, a thorn could have been picked up just as easily by you driving with your horse... however I get you are feeling disgruntled, it was not your horse in there and but for doing her a favour you would not be looking at a new tyre.

However, neither she nor her horse personally did the damage.

If it were me I'd be miffed in general at the occurrence but would not expect payment, however, if I were the friend, I would feel bound to offer it - it would not sit right with me not to help the friend replace the flat when that friend put themselves out to help me.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If someone pays you by buying you lunch then it's still hire and reward, if they give you a box of chocolates it's payment, the hire and reward thing is another problem as far as your insurance goes, maybe a separate post needs to be opened on this very subject.

I have had this conversation with my insurance company friends paying fuel cost does not affect my insurance .
It's not classed as buisness use it's one of those horsey myths .
If you own a livery stable and take a friend who stables with you then you open up a can of worms
I let two friends borrow my lorry for a horsy camp another friend drove it for them I gave to to them full of fuel and they returned it full they gave me a nice present as well .
I checked it all with my insurance company they were happy.
I would however never lend my lorry to someone competing for a living .
And it's nonsense that someone buying you a meal is reward or hire it's a myth .
And while we are on winning £2 in hunter trial is not classed as buisness use but if your a pro but winning a £20,000 class show jumping will .

Pedantic

Visit site
Payment is payment regardless, did your insurance company tell you in writing, or just some person on the end of the phone verbally ?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Payment is payment regardless, did your insurance company tell you in writing, or just some person on the end of the phone verbally ?
If you read the DoT leaflet it explains in detail the rules regarding the use of trailers and 7.5 tonne wagons on private licences. There will be no problem with GS's friend buying her lunch. I carry a paper print out of the leaflet incase the VOSA (or whatever they are called now) people stop me in the wagon.

Dubsie

Visit site
Apart from the small matter that the trailer wouldn't have been on the road, and therefore wouldn't have picked up the thorn, if the OP hadn't given her friend a lift.

This thread utterly reinforces why I no longer give lifts, lend stuff etc...

Did the OP check the tyres over before use, and check the tyre pressure? It may well be that the thorn was already in there. Or that the tyre wasn't correctly inflated and thus more prone to picking up a thorn.....

Or the thorn was on your drive just waiting for you to drive over it.

skint1

Visit site
This thread is an excellent object lesson in why lending out anything of value is fraught with difficulty.

maisie06

Visit site
Not really her fault....BUT this is exactly why I wouldn't offer lifts or loan of transport, it always ends up with the owner out of pocket.

MrsMurs

Visit site
Personally, if I were the OP, I would suck it up and pay for the repair. It was a one off favour; friend contributing to the fuel costs, which was pre-agreed. I wouldn't let it ruin a friendship, which would be an awful shame - you never know when you might need your friend to step up and help you out at some point, and to be fair, It's not like her horse kicked the cr** out of your trailer, it was an unfortunate/unforseen outcome. If i were the friend, I would have offered to pay half of the £45 if my mate had done this for me, but that's just my way. All I would say is, going forward, if you are lending your trailer again, include share of any damage costs in your chat first so there's no confusion.
Hope you get this resolved, and try not to let it niggle away at you. I'm sure what your friend gives back to you for your kind gesture will more than cover the amount you are out of pocket.

catroo

Visit site
You said the mortgage was big. Mortgage companies aren't charities so for you to get the expensive mortgage you must have an expensive house. And, now it is yours you are free to do what you want. Grass is always greener and, have to say your personal circs are quite enviable compared toone at present!

How incredibly rude and naïve. It may of once been an expensive house but chances now it isn't if subsidence is now a problem.
It's perfectly possible to end up with a house worth less than the mortgage on it and very demoralising to have something like subsidence appear as you really are stuck with very few options.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
If someone pays you by buying you lunch then it's still hire and reward, if they give you a box of chocolates it's payment, the hire and reward thing is another problem as far as your insurance goes, maybe a separate post needs to be opened on this very subject.
not true. I've clarified this with both home and car insurance re lifts.