Who wears a hat?

Do you work to improve your horses way of going?

• Total voters

Claireg9

Visit site
I always wear one!
My head is like an egg shell, and whilst a hat may not save my life i am giving myself a head start of anyone not wearing one. Kat you seem a little blazay about it all, can i ask what is the point of putting a hat on and not doing it up? that seems Irish? And as to the fall you had i would have thought that would of knocked some sense into you. blimey you had a close shave and really you should feel lucky you've been given the chance to learn from your mistakes.
Anyway i dont mean to get on at you each to there own and all that but i value my life far to much and im not ready to leave this planet yet so yes i always wear one properly!
Up our yard however it seems all the more dressagey people never wear one in the school, i realise there horses are schooled and unlikely to be naughty but there is always that one time they spook and catch you unaware.
As to Top hats, well i think they should be made safe as it really underminds all the British safety standards on current hats... theres no reason why you cant look nice and safe!

HoneyvalesHorses

Visit site
sometimes i don't wear a hat but most of the time i do because even on a completly bombproof horse they could stumble or something!!
and someone i know was warming up at5 a show on a stallion and he never usually stops but he didi this time and his rider wasn't expecting it he fell off and hit his head on the wing and split his hat in half if he hadn't been wearing a hat that would have been his head!!
plus they are making hats so stylish and comfy now that they look and feel good so why not wear one??

Beanyowner

Visit site
I always wear a hat out hacking, when jumping and when I am on someone elses horse...I will however school Benson without a hat on in hot weather (awaiting the telling off's!!). I have owned Benson for over 7 years and I do trust him when schooling...he has never given me any cause for concern when working on the flat.

so03

Visit site
You're certainly not a big girls blouse if you wear a hat.

I used to look after a work colleagues house and animals whilst they went on holiday. Their daughter who had ridden horses all her life was currently in spain working with polo ponies.

She had brought one of the most well behave docile ponies in from the field and rather than walk she jumped on bareback without a hat. Something spooked the pony and she fell off cracking her head open.

I got to work that morning with a message saying could I look after house etc.

The daughter was in a coma for over a month and suffered some brain damage. All because she was didn't want to walk or put a hat on.

Trouble is you never think it will happen to you, until one day it does, and it may then be too late.

Greyhound

Visit site
Me
grin.gif
I wear a hat all the time when riding also when lunging.

So far I havent seen any new heads for sale on eBay.

Gh

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
are hats still popular with the in-crowd....?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there has never been such great numbers of people wearing riding hats as there is right now - not sure what makes you believe that people who don't wear them are in the majority?

I hardly ever wear a hat - can't remember the last time I did - but I know that most people do and there aren't many like me ........ in your country ........however in my country it is quite the opposite; hardly anyone wears a hat.

Horses for courses as they say and I would take issue with your comments about the "no-hat brigade" on here......from what I have seen on here, it is the hat-wearers who attack the non-hat wearers!! Constantly!

bertiewooster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Horses for courses as they say and I would take issue with your comments about the "no-hat brigade" on here......from what I have seen on here, it is the hat-wearers who attack the non-hat wearers!! Constantly!

[/ QUOTE ]

What comments?

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I always wear a hat, must adit did sometimes ride my pony round to the field when i was younger without one. But now I have an example to set. It doesn't matter how far you fall. My friend jumps her horses at home without a hat over 1.6m it makes me feel sick but then it's up to her, it's her taking a risk. But more fool her...

BBs

Visit site
Will wear a hat out hacking, jumping and competing but usually (if its warm) will ride without a hat schooling winston.

Wouldnt not wear a hat if i dont know the horse. Although there has been times ive climbed on a horse without one for the first time, but I usually know of the horse etc.

I find it interesting as other countries dont wear hats as much as us - there is still an old guy around our village who always rides out on his coloured without a hat and long walking stick.

Richard, my YO's son was jumping around 1.40m in our school last week with only sunglasses on
shocked.gif
and even his mother said, she finds it hard to watch him riding without a hat! however, when we went out hacking he wore one.

An accident can happen anytime, even when riding the likes of Winston - however, that is my choice and at the end of the day you shouldnt be judged if you do or you dont. I do feel tho, that children should always wear one. Once theyve reached a certain age what they choose to do is up to them!

Claireg9

Visit site
BB's i dont think people are neccesarrily judging you, but realy you have to be responsible for setting an example to the younger generation as well.
I would feel awful if something happened to someone and i had just ignored the fact they had no hat on. Id always make a remark, but it would go no further if they choose to ignore it. My instructor rides without a hat and gets on horses that are being a problem jumping without one too, i offered her mine and said i d feel more comfertable if she wore one, she declined so i said well you cant sue me if anything happens and let her get on with it.

BBs

Visit site
Aww Claire i wasnt saying ppl were necessarily judging me personally, i was just saying ppl judge ppl that dont wear a hat on the whole.

You only have to post a pic of yourself without a hat on here and get shouted at!

Hell yes you do have to be responsible and set examples to others - however, at my last yard everyone was over the age of 20 - so should know better! and where I am now I have my own set up with no children around YIPPEE

I couldnt possibly bring myself to jump a fence without a hat however, and I wouldnt dream of going xc without a body protector - however, hunting I dont wear a BP
crazy.gif

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

i'll add to this i will only not wear hat when schooling alone, if in company will

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this an interesting comment. A friend of mine used to school her experienced dressage horse without a hat alone - she was found unconscious in the arena and spent several days unconscious in intensive care but fortunately made a full recovery. They have no idea how long she had been laid in the arena before someone found her.
frown.gif

kick_On

Visit site
it stikes me as people aren't allowed too have freedom any more.... and have to conform to 'the namble pamble state' of health and saftey blah blah........
I think as adults have a right to decide...........
or should we all dress up in cotton wool and not have horses cos there soo................. dangerous
Surely as an adult is should be down to the indiviual is risk management.
If you want to wear hat great if not great aswell, as for children should be maded to wear them, then once an adult should be given freedom to choose
we all indiviuals! (IOP)

maddielove

Visit site
i'll get thrown out of my yard if i dont wear a hat!
last week i was riding with my friend and another person[new to the yard] she was riding her horse who is quite young..she was wearing a hat but her chin strap wasn't done up. my friend pointed this out to her but she ignored it. we had a small crosspole up which we were jumping, she decided to give it a go. her horse took the jump tumbling down and spooked and throwing her off..and causing her hat to fall off.
thankfully she didn't land on her head..but did land on her front..which cause she hat to hit her in the face giving her a black eye. which goes to show that hats are only useful if the are fitted and worn properly.

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
arrh do have a little common.......
I do tell people my timing, but that my way of dealing with the risk factor

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to my post? Same could be said about people who don't wear hats but like I said in my earlier post it's entirely up to the individual, no offence intended.

Sparklet

Visit site
My daughter is an adult now and she is just as important to me now as she was a child. If she stopped wearing a hat I would knock her block off.
wink.gif

Horseymum

Visit site
It would be interesting to see how many of those who do and don't wear hats are parents. So far as I see it if I came off and suffered a serious head injury as a result of not wearing a hat, it would be my daughter and husband who would suffer as well as me. If my daughter had an accident and she wasn't wearing a hat then the guilt trip would be unbearable.

S_N

Visit site
Well as I don't ride, I don't wear a hat
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
But should I ride I would wear one - unless riding western of course.............. or if my photo was being taken for an advert, or if I was riding a dressage horse............

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely - I have always worn a hat and to be fair she has always worn hers - I have never needed to knock her block off.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it would sort of defeat the object wouldn't it - head injury either way!!!
grin.gif

kick_On

Visit site
Why does have children make you more responsble(sp)???? mm thinks not, don't shout all at once (ducking under the table)
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
Can't we a decide ourselfs as adults taking in all risk factors .... this is my point