Who wears a hat?

Do you work to improve your horses way of going?

• Total voters

Sparklet

Visit site
I didnt want my daughter to have a brain damaged mum because she needed me.

Even though she is an adult now I will encourage her to make the right choices in life because I care about her. Likewise I dont doubt for a second she would have something to say if I tossed my hat to one side during my fast approaching mid-life crisis

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why does have children make you more responsble(sp)???? mm thinks not, don't shout all at once (ducking under the table)

[/ QUOTE ]
Can I take it you don't have any children?

Aleka81

Visit site
Have to say I always wear a hat when hacking and jumping. However I have been known to school and have flatwork lessons without my hat on
shocked.gif

And like BBs always wear a body protector when going x-country but don't wear one when I hunt
shocked.gif

kick_On

Visit site
and that, your risk factor of life (just being straight forward)
but we aren't all the same and i don't think people who are different shouldn't be vilify (on this subject)
and me not wear a hat for flat schooling my horse and then wearing a hat for leading this horse out to field/lunging is my risk factor assessed for me
vie la difference!!!!!

Haflinger

Visit site
I always wear I hat and will try to always wear one. I like my head to much to let it be ruined. Also it keeps my hair out of the way
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry didn't mean you personally; I just mean't that there have been millions of these threads on here and the bashings that go on are always towards those who don't wear hats, not those who do.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I didn't use to always wear a hat, but I do now. This is for several reasons; I've seen too many people (within a year!) end up with concussion because they weren't wearing one. One chap who STILL won't wear a hat spent 4 days in ICU.
Secondly to set a good example to the kids who ride at our yard. Thirdly because I jump alot and also because at least 2 of the horses I ride are a bit unpredictable.

ETS: hardly ANYONE wears a hat here except for competing. Excuses include the heat, but really I think I'm the only 18 who wears one with any regularity.

Argie_Spew

Australia, Just arrived in Brisbane! God i hate mo
Visit site
I dont ride in a hat, il wear one out hacking but its a beagler.
In spain we got on 4 year olds with no hat on,
I get migraines so this is part of the reason, and plus no matter what anyone says it does look cool.
no one needs to lecture me, iv heard it from everyone on here a million times before. I think if you dont want to wear a hat dont wear one, its your decision at the end of the day.
And on the front of children seeing u not wearing a hat, if thaty child then questioned with there mother would they ever even think of letting them ride with out one?
x

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no matter what anyone says it does look cool.

x

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you advocate (sp?) children (and by this I mean kids who are old enough to go to yard without parent) going hatless? Do you think it's responsible to come on a forum and say it's cool to not wear a hat?
I'm presuming you havent children.

No-one looks cool with a smashed up head. No one looks cool when they're dead. Your post has made me so angry.
Let me tell you no-one thinks you're 'cool' but you. And I hope that no kids read that post and try to follow your example, if they do I hope you can carry the guilt on your shoulders. Stupid, Stupid, Irrisponsible......
mad.gif

bertiewooster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry didn't mean you personally; I just mean't that there have been millions of these threads on here and the bashings that go on are always towards those who don't wear hats, not those who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, OK, no problem.
wink.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I actually feel "wrong" riding without a hat and having had my life saved several times by wearing one (concussion and hospitalised) I would probably never get on a horse without one. (apart from riding in hot countries when I wore a stetson)
Recently however my husband and daughter have copied the dressage riders in dispensing with their hats schooling. I wish they would wear one but as adults I can't make them, they always hack out or jump with them, but despite me pointing out a horse can fall in an arena and bop them on the head with it's metal shod hoof, they ignore me.
I understand how hot and sweaty it's been and the temptation of the wind blowing in your hair (or lack of it in some men's case!) but I wouldn't ride without one..

Argie_Spew

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no matter what anyone says it does look cool.

x

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you advocate (sp?) children (and by this I mean kids who are old enough to go to yard without parent) going hatless? Do you think it's responsible to come on a forum and say it's cool to not wear a hat?
I'm presuming you havent children.

No-one looks cool with a smashed up head. No one looks cool when they're dead. Your post has made me so angry.
Let me tell you no-one thinks you're 'cool' but you. And I hope that no kids read that post and try to follow your example, if they do I hope you can carry the guilt on your shoulders. Stupid, Stupid, Irrisponsible......
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, looking back on that it was a bit of a silly thing to say and it wasnt meant to come across as it did.
In responce to one question, Im 18 no kids. And why would i feel guilt of some one else, its the same thing as saying i go in my car without a seat belt.
But my one queston back to you kate is, what is the reason behind so many people in the world not riding in hats?

EllieBeast

Visit site
TBH my view is - i wear a hat and that is my choice. of course it would be more comfortable not to wear one in the heat, but i just can't take that risk - for my sake or my parents. likewise, i always jump, and ride strange horses in a body protector - this has definately saved my mobility, if not my life on a couple of occasions. however, other people have the right to choose whether to wear a hat or not, and should be free to express this. although i do make a big thing of kids wearing hats - and at our yard they are compulsory.
Sarah xXx

Argie_Spew

Visit site
What gets me is that this is bought up every now and again, we all get yelled at, and then tomorrow we all go and get on our horses with no hat on.
As adults u have the right to choose, if you wear your hat then thats good, but i dont then expect to be patronised just because i choose not to wear mine!
Btw isnt the law that under 14 you must wear a hat?!!

Argie_Spew

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It would be interesting to see how many of those who do and don't wear hats are parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the Finish horse my mum never wore a hat, (unles hacking) and on the rare occasion she rode Dol, then again no hat, this didnt make me want ride without my hat any more, It was just a decision that i made. And mum excepted that.
Anyways iv said my piece on this subject, wine has gone to my head, off to bedfordshire before i get annoyed.
x

Jazmine

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Btw isnt the law that under 14 you must wear a hat?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct A_S, it is the law for those under 14 to wear a hat but only on the roads. I haven't read all the replys but I for one would never ride without one, I'd feel naked!! If adults want to do so then it's their lookout really, you can't force someone to wear one and they know the risks.

It does get me a little though when people say that they trust their horse 110% out on the roads, do they also trust idiot drivers 110% not to run into them? That has happened. Fortunately the only injury was a deep laceration and a splitting headache for a month, could have been so much worse.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Ah, the good old hat debate again! Personally I always wear one and I know there is no point trying to convert those who don't. I still dread the day someone on here is seriously injured or killed in an accident that could have been avoided by wearing a hat - it will happen one day.

ruscara

Visit site
The horse I was riding was hit by a car. I was apparently (I don't remember) thrown up into the air and came down straight on to my head. I suffered two crushed vertebra, but thanks to my hat, my skull was not smashed.

Sparklet

Visit site
I wont clobber you for going hatless because if you damage yourself it wont really affect me. Obviously you will have to accept that you will be criticised - particularly by parents who will use you as an example of stupidity to ensure their kids dont follow suit.

I just wonder if you will allow your kids to go hatless in the future

susan_w

Visit site
Yes that's right - under 14.

It all comes down to personal choice about the hat wearing - make your own mind up. We all know that smoking is bad for our health, and yet millions of people still do it. (Including me)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Okay, looking back on that it was a bit of a silly thing to say and it wasnt meant to come across as it did.
In responce to one question, Im 18 no kids. And why would i feel guilt of some one else, its the same thing as saying i go in my car without a seat belt.
But my one queston back to you kate is, what is the reason behind so many people in the world not riding in hats?

[/ QUOTE ]

If a kid saw you out hacking hatless, or only wearing a beagler, riding a big strapping horse, going beautifully, they would probably think you looked 'cool' too. They might think that if they went hatless it would make them look a better rider (which, lets face it, most kids are desperate to do).

If a friend's child didnt wear a hat and had an accident and was harmed through not wearing a hat, and turned round and said "well, i thought it looked cool, she doesnt wear one", would that push your concience? One day you might have children, or neices or nephews, and I think your opinion might then change.

Women in some parts of the world give birth in fields, does that mean we should???

Argie_Spew

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

If a kid saw you out hacking hatless, or only wearing a beagler, riding a big strapping horse, going beautifully, they would probably think you looked 'cool' too. They might think that if they went hatless it would make them look a better rider (which, lets face it, most kids are desperate to do).

If a friend's child didnt wear a hat and had an accident and was harmed through not wearing a hat, and turned round and said "well, i thought it looked cool, she doesnt wear one", would that push your concience? One day you might have children, or neices or nephews, and I think your opinion might then change.

Women in some parts of the world give birth in fields, does that mean we should???

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS i put a post up saying okay prob the wrong thing to say and you come back and have another dig! Really nice.
But guess what today im going to go and ride, and im going to do it without a hat, so all that everyone says has made no difference.
Good bye.