Whose horses are out "naked" and what are they?

KatB

Visit site
As title, how many people have horses out 24/7 still unrugged, and what sort of horse/pony are they?
smile.gif

soph21

Visit site
My Welsh D X and Welsh A have got their rugs on because they haven't really got any grass and I havent bought any haylege yet so they havent got anything to keep their bellies warm! And the thought of them being stood out in this weather without anything on is horrible!

Sophie xx

mollymurphy

Visit site
Mine are only out in the day, but they're mostly naked. Have to admit they had rugs on today, but that was because it was raining so much. If it's just cold, they go out naked, but cold + wet = rug! One Welsh A, one welsh D x TB and one Warmblood. All unclipped (apart from their freezemarks) and tubby!
blush.gif
grin.gif

KatB

Visit site
DD and Boss, when will your ponies start being rugged?! Intending to keep mine out for aslong as poss (hopefully into Dec) but feel cruel with the frosts we have had!!
smile.gif

Boodle

Visit site
Some of Mine are;
Welshy x 16yr old mare
Shetland, 6yr old gelding

And not mine, but Bill,
16.2hh 7yr old Friesian stallion
But i'm going to put his rug on tomorrow because he's started to lose condition now the grass is disappearing and the weather has closed in.

luane1

Visit site
One of mine is out he is ISH the chestnut on the left and he is as fat as a fool wih a huge hairy coat, he is hopefully fusing his bone spavins he has another 2 year old ISH for a companion, I hope to keep him out all this year if the weather is not too bad.

rara007

Visit site
A shetty , a welsh A and a gypsy cob, all out 24/7 unrugged and should be all year. The others (5 welsh B's, 1 welsh CX arab and one welsh,tb,hackney cross) are all rugged and in at night.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Just started rugging on Friday! I was trying to leave it as long as possible, but my boy has always been clipped out and rugged (and still lives out 24/7) and has been looking pretty unhappy about the weather. He is 15 years old, a LW cob, normally overweight, light work, and we live on Dartmoor. The others have been grazing happily in the middle of the field, whilst he's had his backside rammed into the hedge out of the wind. So... lovely Mummy relented!

amzy

Visit site
One Irish Cob out, unrugged. Another Irish Cob out, unrugged at present but will be rugged later and one cob X unrugged but will be in a lightweight rug later. I did put the lightweight on the cob X last week but he only sweated.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
DD and Boss, when will your ponies start being rugged?! Intending to keep mine out for aslong as poss (hopefully into Dec) but feel cruel with the frosts we have had!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on when she needs clipping. My sister has also decided that she runs thru the electric when she has a rug on and she turns her out for me in the morning.

I wouldn't worry about frosts it is the rain that gets them.

jelibean

Visit site
Im afraid my unclipped TB is out naked tonight as she was accidentally put out this morning by husband without her rug and she refuses to come in tonight for tea. We dont tend to worry too much if they dont want to come in although i make sure they have rugs on for this reason. Husband refuses to walk around 10 acres in the dark shouting after horses who simply just wont come in. Little boy is poorly which is why husband is in charge today. My dales mare however will go without her rug until maybe end of this month, until frosty and damp weather comes. I always think as long as its not Cold & Wet its not quite as bad, "What would they do in the wild"
PS. I will be out at 6 in the morning to do them brekki and put rugs on, if she hasnt turned into an icicle, making me shiver thinking about it.

Nickijem

Visit site
Jerry is unclipped but has a rug on day and night as he has a very fine coat and needs to keep weight on. Winnie is a hairy cob who is a bit of a barrel, unclipped so is out without a rug.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Lots of ours, from the TB's to the youngsters, only ones of ours rugged are clipped and in work! (or belong to other people)
They can cope fine with cold and dry, it's wet and windy you find they don't like.
Once the livery rugs go on they tend to stay on for months, so we leave them as late as we possibly can.
We are waiting for the weather to change before the mass rugging up, and even then some won't get rugs on.
The andalusian and warmblood have to be rugged, they feel the cold. The TB's funnily enough cope fine.
We will rug William all winter outside as a precaution, but the yealrings probably will cope without any rugs at all.
So long as there is adequate haylage to munch on most horses cope very well.

star

Visit site
21yr old Welsh Sec D out 24/7 naked and with a small clip - taken off bottom third of his neck and shoulder to the elbow as he has a scabby skin condition from getting too hot in his wooly mammoth coat despite being unworked and naked!!!

celia

Visit site
Sister's 16 year old sec C is unrugged and probably will be for a while yet - unless the weather gets wetter. She has a massive fluffy coat and is as warm as my TB and the other pony who are both in medium weight rugs!

Ravenwood

Visit site
The two horses are chaser clipped and have a rug on at night (can't believe they are still out at this time of year - long may it stay dry!) But one of them has started protesting at being out and refusing to leave her warm stable - she loves her bedroom, typical teenager!

The pony - or woolly bear - is out with no rug but will also be chaser clipped tomorrow and have a rug on at night.

RachelB

Visit site
My ID x is turned away for the winter, is fat, naked and very very woolly! She wasn't even cold yesterday morning when it was properly frosty. Last year Maiden had a blanket clip and was rugged to her eyeballs as despite having a really woolly back where she wasn't clipped, she was always cold! Her fieldmate is a 3yo warmblood and she's also naked and woolly.