Whose horses are out "naked" and what are they?

cariadssogreat

Visit site
My welsh part bred who was hit by a car 5 weeks ago is rugged to mainly keep her hind quarters warm due to the soft tissue damage, also my 7 month old warmblood filly is rugged. The 2 foresters and 1 forest x are out naked with hay and a very small fibre feed - all are as fat as barrels

beatrice

Visit site
My 2 are in and rugged.
Bea - IBxTB is fully clipped, in work, and in medium weight rugs day/night however when warmer, she is put back in lightweights.
Josh - Welsh section d, blanket clipped, in work and is in a medium weight when out and a light weight when in (he is in a different stable block to bea which seems to be warmer.

They both have as much haylage as they can eat over night, and have decent grazing during the day!

clipclop

Visit site
Two are unrugged, unclipped, out 24/7 etc.
One is TB x and the other is ID cross.
My pure TB has only just had her rug put on her this evening. She is an oldy. When she was younger she would not have had a rug either. She never needed it. Now her "central heating" has broken down she needs a little help.

buzzles

Visit site
My 2 year old connemara, pony mare and mini shettie are out 24/7 unrugged. The others who are all in work and clipped are rugged and in at night. The mare and foal who are out in the fenced in field shelter are both rugged at night as it's quite cold and exposed out there and neither of them are very hairy.

rrose

Visit site
Mine personally is in and rugged. but at work we have two yearlings, three year old and a 8 year old out without rugs.. all unclipped-- they will have rugs on begining of december throught to february.

blueberry

stores.ebay.co.uk
Hi, i have a percheron yearling and a competition bred yearling living out without rugs.
They do have a field shelter and i put haylage in the shelter at night.
They are doing absolutely fine, i plan to keep them out all winter.

Murphy3

Visit site
Both coming in at night but Connemara out naked all day. He's fat and unclipped and likes to give himself a nice coating of dried mud to keep the chill out. TB unclipped but has a light rug on the last week as the temparature dropped and he's a rehab case. Connie will only get rugged in wet weather.

Enfys

Visit site
All out, only the arab rugged so far. The QH and the Paint are OK but not very hairy but it is warm here, weather has gone mad, 10C outside now (10pm) They have a shelter and 2 acres of wood to use if they need it. The Haffy and the foal are both extremely fluffy and have a shelter they use so they aren't rugged either, anyway, I still don't have rugs for them yet.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
We have aboput 20 out naked 24/7, all TB's, including broodmare and youngstock.
Some in work aren't clipped yet, they go out naked if its a nice day.
When winter comes they will all have lightweights on, apart from the broodmare and youngstock, who will come in at night.

Bossanova

Visit site
Moon will be clipped when she comes into proper work in December so she'll be rugged then
smile.gif

Stoxx

Visit site
My retired pony is out 24/7 unrugged. As it's not been very wet here yet she is looking very well, so I'm holding off on the rugs. She starts to loose condition normally around January time, by then it's normally been wet for a time so she is rugged and fed daily. She is a Section B and is 25.

Lill

Visit site
Ummm we've the 2 welsh cob mares with foals out 24/7 with no rugs, the NFx naughty fat pony out 24/7 with no rugs and old dales mare out 24/7 with no rugs. The others are all rugged but still out 24/7
smile.gif

Bedlam

Visit site
My boy is on holiday until after Christmas - he gets 2 months off this time of year after the eventing season has finished. He's unclipped, barefoot, naked, out 24/7, and has gone rather feral to be honest!! I'm not feeding him anything because the field's been empty for quite a long time and there's plenty of grass even though there's probably not much in it. He has a vitamin and mineral block though.

He's as happy as Larry!

wattsy

Visit site
whilst our couch potato wimps are in and rugged, our 26yr old IDxTB mare is out 24/7, unrugged, and loving it! she'll live out until xmas prob, and then in at night.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Most of our broodmares and youngstock are naked. My big ex-eventer is always a bit difficult to keep weight on so she is in a mW, as is the cremello yearling who came to us a bit poor. The rest can wait till it gets wetter/colder

GinGin2

Visit site
Both my two are still out 24/7. They are naked during the day but I started to put their lightweight rugs on last week at night.

Phoenix is 3/4 tb x 1/4 shire. Devil mare's breeding is unknown but tb x id sort of stamp/type.

charlyan

Visit site
Min (welsh D x tb) is out (pretty much 24/7 with open access to his stable) with a 200g on. Our weather tends to be a bit cooler and alot windier up here (atm ranges between 1-8 degrees plus windchill factor) so most horses are rugged to some degree. Min hates getting wet (will stand and shiver regardless of how cold he actually is!) so if I'm out all day he gets rugged (weight depends on how he feels to the touch) as our weather is VERY changeable, but if I'm home about then he's quite often naked during the day if dry but rugged overnight.
Someone I know has her heavyweight cob (clipped) out during the day in a MW stable under a HW turnout, and in at night with 2 stable rugs and his top door closed
blush.gif
. Don't know what she'll do when winter does arrive! But I guess some horses feel the cold more than others. Min gets hot easily and lets me know if he doesn't want rugging- usually he stands still without being tied up regardless of what you're doing but if he doesn't want his rug on, it's a case of "See ya!" and he power walks off!
grin.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine all live out 24/7 (with access to stables/shelters). Well 2 of mine are rugged (they're clipped). My 2 ponies are unrugged though - they are a shetland and a welsh x highland so sturdy natives meant for being naked! But they do have rugs which I chuck on in the worst of the weather because they're 17 and 20yrs so are beginning to feel the cold a little more than before.

cazza

community.webshots.com
Other than having 3 horses in the other 40 odd are all out and are naked. One that is out 24/7 has a trace clip so he has a rug but other than that they are all turning into nice furballs. They are are mixture of pure TB's, TBxQTR, or argentinian polo ponies. The foals are still out as well unless it gets really bad they will stay out until weaning.

dunthing

Visit site
The only one out of the five who is rugged is my daughter's TB. The others are 1) highland
2) Pure bred arab
3) exmoor x
4) coloured cob baby.
They are all out 24/7 but have access to stables on the yard all the time. Tb has copd and is fine when he's out. Loads of haylage keeps them warm and my highland takes rugs off himself, he can't stand them.

conniegirl

Visit site
My 18 yearold conemara is out sans rugs,
however my 2 26 yearold show ponies, 18 yearold arab, and 9 yearold TB ar rugged to the eyeballs. althought the arab is only rugged because we need to keep his back warm due to an injury, the TB because he is a skinny rake and needs lots of weight put on him, and the 2 26 yearolds because they are starting to feel the cold.
The conemara on the other hand refuses to be rugged up, he manages perfectly well without and if you do rug him he pulls a houdini and gets out of it. Last winter i bought him a full neck rambo and several times found it inside out, still done up and undamaged in a pile in the field.