Why are welshies so sharp?

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Our old Sec. C, Pips, was acquired (long story) at 26, so was very much the sensible head by the time we got her, although she still had her moments and was definitely still a show-off, 13 hands of arthritic Welshie determined not to be outdone by a 16.3 drama llama TB was always entertaining to watch.

But baby Blaze (also a C, she’s just turned 5) takes it to a whole new level. She’s so intelligent, sharp, and most definitely has her own opinions. She can go round the school 5 times quite happily and then the 6th spot a stone/stick/funny coloured leaf and have a rather special spook. She pulled this stunt at her 2nd dressage outing with the small person a couple of weeks ago - pooed on her first circle in the arena, then spooked at her own poo. Yet she’s also typical Welshie in that she’s got the heart of a lion (dragon) about the big stuff. Took her to an agility clinic last weekend, fully expecting total melodramatics after the poo incident and apart from a bit of snorting, she was good as gold - as soon as she understood what was expected of her, she got on with the job.

The snorting does make me laugh though, she really does come over all stereotypical baby dragon ?. It does give her so much character though, and we all just giggle at her antics. And by god is she teaching the small person how to ride ?

Baby dragon all fired up on spring grass... (and poles in a weird shape)
8B11E121-2AAE-4FB5-AA0B-A9CE897428A8.jpeg
And then baby dragon completely unphased by flag waving up top...
71B730D5-55DF-4DAB-B7E2-3C26F2B78E64.jpeg

teddypops

Visit site
My Welsh D is lovely. Very very intelligent and very kind. She can be a bit silly at times but nothing major. My Welsh D x TB is fast and furious but very safe. I also had a sec C and an Arab as a kid and although both were fast and forward, they were both very safe.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Mine have been very kind, sometimes spooky drama queens but if you hit it off with them they are lovely horses. I think you need to be a certain sort of person to get along with sec ds. Its more a case of asking them to try something and giving them time to think about it than forcing them to do it straight off. You really dont want to get in to a battle with them! Ask them, let them have a think ask again and they will probably have a go. If you try TELLING them they have to do it you may find yourself in a fight or quite possibly on the ground!
They can be snorting welsh dragons but they are pretty sensitive.

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Its more a case of asking them to try something and giving them time to think about it than forcing them to do it straight off. You really dont want to get in to a battle with them! Ask them, let them have a think ask again and they will probably have a go. If you try TELLING them they have to do it you may find yourself in a fight or quite possibly on the ground!

This is exactly what we’ve found with Blaze. Ask, explain, let her get her head around it then ask again and she’s fine. End up in a battle of wills with her and you don’t stand a chance!

minesadouble

Visit site
I wouldn't say our boy was sharp. Very very opinionated and cheeky but not sharp.
He's been to HOYS and RI in his past and I bought him as a schoolmaster for my then nervous daughter and he's brought her on so much. So much that she now wants something more forward, I'm not complaining though as that means I'll finally get to pinch him for myself ?
Screenshot_20210611_090645_com.facebook.katana.jpgScreenshot_20210611_090842_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Hurray I can join the Welshie Club. I have 1 on loan over the summer. Her breeding is mad though - sire and dam side look almost exactly the same! Does that make her more or less typically 'Welsh'?

Meet Scarlett.

199868891_4105946309485419_4656909210302079418_n.jpg

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Always loved them and always had crosses. Faran is amazing and very chilled out, probably due to the fact it be had him from 6months and taught him that life isn’t scary and probably through natural temperament. Stood at a show from 8am to 3.30pm and spent most of the day grazing inhand whilst adult horses round about him turned themselves inside out and dumped riders.

I like a bit of attitude and character, wilful also doesn’t bother me as I’m pretty wilful myself TBF, best British native all rounder IMO.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Very nice @Ambers Echo ! I hope you have loads of fun with her. :) What is her breeding?

She's by Rhyfel Dago out of Rhyfel Georgina. Which means nothing to me at all! Same grandparents on both sides. One grandparent is Foxhey's Ambassador who I've vaguely heard of.

Shes lovely. I feel very, very lucky .

palo1

Visit site
She's by Rhyfel Dago out of Rhyfel Georgina. Which means nothing to me at all! Same grandparents on both sides. One grandparent is Foxhey's Ambassador who I've vaguely heard of.

Shes lovely. I feel very, very lucky .

Looks like very established Welsh lines with some interesting variations too. Nothing too alarming I wouldn't have thought tbh but you should get a proper 'Welsh' experience :) :) They are such charming horses - I hope you have lots of fun with her. :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Today we went for a stroll down the lane... there was a little smeered chalk on the lane. That was terrifying. So was some bird poo.

He got a slap on the backside as a car was waiting in a driveway for us with one approaching from behind and some motocross type bikes (not scary) and he decided he couldn't possibly go in the gap between the car and the wheelie bins so we could go in the lay by to get out the cars way. I made him go in, he's perfectly capable of going in the more than Welsh d sized gap between the wheelie bins and the car

Blue bin bags of fly tipping though - merely a slight stare ?

Like others say if you pander to their silliness, the worse they would be!

As I said, the spookiness is RANDOM. He was tied up on the yard once (he's not allowed to be tied on the yard normally as its an rs and he's accomplished at breaking the string) but the yard was closed, and he was drying after a bath. He kept rocking back and snorting, one of the liveries said something which rang so true "it's like he's looking for something to spook at, and scaring himself"

eahotson

Visit site
Well you know, my last horse was a Highland.Highlands are suposed to be suitable for the nervous,novice and totally inadequate.He proved to be very sharp and spooky and frightened the life out of me.When I told everyone I was getting a welsh they all said "If you can't cope with a Highland,you will never cope with a Welsh". I have had him for about eleven years now and he has been wonderful.He taught one complete novice to ride.