Why do people want to own cobs?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I've not owned a cob but have ridden them and think they can be just as enjoyable as other horses and that they certainly have their strong points. My family would be looking to get a cob in the future and if so, I would love to ride it (and I am certainly no expert rider but am neither a novice or nervous).

There is no particular type of horse that I prefer as I think most have their good and bad points! I would want to own any horse that I enjoyed riding and which I liked, regardless of its type.

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
how many cobs do you see doing "proper" affiliated competition? Im not talking low level dressage, I mean PROPER competition. Advanced eventing, grade a show jumpers, advanced dressage? No hairy cobs there! Theyre usefull to riding schools and for novices and for pulling carts. Not really youre sporty type of horse They have their place and its not being owned by me.

Lol!

Meet Toby...
DSC_2973.jpg

This is him at HOYS. He belongs to my yard owner. Is that 'PROPER' enough for you?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
MrsM :eek: ;) :D

glitterfuzz there ya go

:D :D :D :D :D :D

soph.... It dont think a competition for cobs was quite what glitterfuzz was getting at. :)

potty_4_piebalds

Visit site
I LOVE COBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have got a TB stood in his stable and some days i look at him and think how did i ever end up with you?

The whole time i was looking i said i wanted another piebald hairy cob the more hair the better HAIR HAIR AND HAIR TO SPARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a boring brown thats got nothing about him apart from a bit of fancy foot work!!

Still wouldnt swap my old git just waiting for him to snuff it then i can get another piebald cob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know i might sound a bit mean but i do love the old git really (i have owned him 8 years so i must like him lol)

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
wow, someone clearly has too much time on thier hands:rolleyes: tell you what, why dont you hop down to my riding school, jump on baley the 7 year old cob, ride him how you would ride the average, lazy slow badtempered cob, and see how you long you stay in his saddle:D

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
how many cobs do you see doing "proper" affiliated competition? Im not talking low level dressage, I mean PROPER competition. Advanced eventing, grade a show jumpers, advanced dressage? No hairy cobs there! Theyre usefull to riding schools and for novices and for pulling carts. Not really youre sporty type of horse They have their place and its not being owned by me.

those of you offended by the send them to france and eat them post surely you can see thats a joke, if not, you take this too seriously!

Cob doing advance dressage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35WE...87DA124A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24

And Im sure that there is a gypsy cob currently doing advanced dressage as well it was in your horse mag as well. So maybe get your facts straight first ;)

Oh and tongue in cheek or not how would you like it if some random stranger started telling you to send your horses to the meat man. I dont think youd take it well.

Nikki xxx;)

moses06

Visit site

those of you offended by the send them to france and eat them post surely you can see thats a joke, if not, you take this too seriously!

At least you get a decent bit of meat on a cob - those TB things are just a sack of bones - ideal for dog chews I suppose!!!:D

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Why do people want to own cobs?
Because they have the ability to bring you back from a ride with a smile on your face, even if they have been a p--t all the way round.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Let's drag Shils off her warmblood and onto a lil hairy cob, slap it on the arse and send it on its way - storming off at a hundred miles an hour with a buck and a right old laugh behind it's shaggy face, with Shils tugging and screaming and wishing to take back all those bad words she said :)

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
ah shils, you truely warm the cockles of my heart:D it makes me smile to see such a narrowed minded poster on this forum, gives us something to laugh at:D

LittleSoph

no showing isnt proper! thats just riding about for a judge!

Oh, forgive me.... dressage is what? And flapping at your horses sides so it throws itself over a jump is what?

Sorry, I wasn't aware you made the decisions about what was and wasn't a proper competition. Silly me.

I know I'm rising to the bait. I'm aware you are just trying to rile people. But I'm slightly confused as to why? It seems a little pathetic and it lowers the tone of what is at times a great forum. What a shame these people are allowed to go on doing this.

glitterfuzz

Visit site
What do you mean? HOYS isn't a proper affiliated competition then??

showing isnt exactly a proper competition is it!? Trotting a horse round in a circle for someone to decide which one looks the best isnt quite the same as a horse going round badminton is it! I should have added "excluding showing" in the original post! :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
What do you mean? HOYS isn't a proper affiliated competition then??

nope, its showing. Not performance based in the true sense of the word 'performance' at all IMO. and presumably that was either a coloured or a traditional class, assuming the latter being the best among other cobs isnt quite what she was getting at. ;)

the youtube vid, I have seen cardi before he is lovely and gives me hope :) he is also welsh and am not sure how shils truely feels about them :p :D

gilliantahatann

Visit site
I know this might have been said as a joke, but i HATE when people think of cobs as 'fat, hairy beasts that cant do much..'
We have/had loads of cobs at our yard and they were/are all amazing..
Piper - AMAZING dressage cob, jumped 5ft with ease
Billy - AMAZING dressage again, won loads, also jumped 5ft with ease
Kaiser - jumps 4ft no bother at all
none of these were 'kick kick' ponies either, and its all experienced people that own them.

See, you don't always need all the TB's and Warmbloods to say you have a god damn amazing horse.

glitterfuzz

Visit site
we have a fat cob at our yard, we call him Belgain becasue he looks like a Belgian blue cow! :D His owner tries to hide the hairyness by shaving him but hes still a fat hairy cob underneath

if he was human he would be rab c nesbitt!

I find cobs quite offensive! I dont have a favourite type, I just dislike cobs - sorry cob lovers :D

Walrus

Visit site
Not sure if mine technically counts as a cob, native pony, probably more hair and shorter legs than a cob!!!

I just wanted a horse with a bigger bum than mine!! :D

LittleSoph

Ester, you own a cob don't you?? Brown nosing ring leaders is such an unattractive habit.

If showing isn't a proper competition, I challenge you to stick your horses in a qualifier and see how they do... :)
Of course, our cobs need no preparation or training whatsoever for showing, so no I guess it can't be a proper competition. And no, no 'performance' necessary, in fact, I might not bother schooling this year. Of course there is much more skill involved in dressage, where you have to conentrate hard to ensure you stop and start and the right markers and keep your horses head as close to it's chest as possible... and in xc and sj where you have to flap as hard as you can to get your horse to throw itself over xc and sj fences... silly me. I must pay more attention in future.
Thank you for the education. It was set to be such a dull evening.
*rolls eyes*