Why do people want to own cobs?

glitterfuzz

Visit site
dislking cobs is one thing, saying they are offensive, ugly, fat, and should be slaughtered on a public forum is quite another:D

thats my opinion and im entitled to it. just like all the people that love their hairy cobs and wouldnt be with out them. I havent direceted anything I have said at any one particular person. Horses get slaughtered - fact, just like zebras get put in Pizza!!! :S :D

jnb

Visit site
"showing isnt exactly a proper competition is it!? Trotting a horse round in a circle for someone to decide which one looks the best isnt quite the same as a horse going round badminton is it! I should have added "excluding showing" in the original post! "

"I find cobs quite offensive! I dont have a favourite type, I just dislike cobs - sorry cob lovers "

I wonder what FMM makes of your thoughts (sorry am too stupid to figure out how to multi quote) - she has the HOYS Champion Cob.....
And glitterfuzz, you have won....................what, exactly?
:D

Last edited:

glitterfuzz

Visit site
Ester, you own a cob don't you?? Brown nosing ring leaders is such an unattractive habit.

If showing isn't a proper competition, I challenge you to stick your horses in a qualifier and see how they do... :)
Of course, our cobs need no preparation or training whatsoever for showing, so no I guess it can't be a proper competition. And no, no 'performance' necessary, in fact, I might not bother schooling this year. Of course there is much more skill involved in dressage, where you have to conentrate hard to ensure you stop and start and the right markers and keep your horses head as close to it's chest as possible... and in xc and sj where you have to flap as hard as you can to get your horse to throw itself over xc and sj fences... silly me. I must pay more attention in future.
Thank you for the education. It was set to be such a dull evening.
*rolls eyes*

I still dont like cobs :D :D :D :D

LaurenM

Visit site
I'd prefer my chunky monkey anyday.

Especially when comparing him to my friends's warm blood who happen to be more bolshy than any cob that i've ever met.

I agree with others - why create a post asking for people to criticise different breeds?

Each to their own.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
soph...... everyone is entitled to their opinions I have given mine nowt to do with anyone else thank you so I find your comment rather unnecessary. Really not worth getting worked up about, we have had this thread before and its true there are no afaik cobs doing international jumping or dressage and lots of warmbloods so I happen to completely get that pov. That does of course, entirely depend on what you want your horse for...... hence I have a cob :)

nope dont see the point in showing, has never appealed to join in or watch really, might do the odd workers but only cos it involves going over jumps too and if I am going to watch something prefer badders.

Frank although having v good general confo isnt welsh or fat enough to join in the showing malarky anyway, its not what he would be good at (and is too old!) :)

glitterfuzz

Visit site
maybe you should think before you type so you dont offend lots of people, but maybe you just dont care:D

this is an internet forum not "real life" lighten up people

I dont care what your cobs have done, I dont care how fast they go, I just dont like the way they look! Porsches go fast, dont like those either! :D

Godknows

Visit site
I will never understand it.
They are fat, lazy, hairier than Bigfoot, and usually bad tempered.
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?
S :D

Shils I can only assume you have a death wish:eek:

Plus I hate thoroughbreds I find them very marish (even when they are geldings) and always seem to break.

My cob is great and will turn his hoof to anything (well he used to a couple of years ago)

ester

Visit site
Ester, you own a cob don't you?? Brown nosing ring leaders is such an unattractive habit.

If showing isn't a proper competition, I challenge you to stick your horses in a qualifier and see how they do... :)
Of course, our cobs need no preparation or training whatsoever for showing, so no I guess it can't be a proper competition. And no, no 'performance' necessary, in fact, I might not bother schooling this year. Of course there is much more skill involved in dressage, where you have to conentrate hard to ensure you stop and start and the right markers and keep your horses head as close to it's chest as possible... and in xc and sj where you have to flap as hard as you can to get your horse to throw itself over xc and sj fences... silly me. I must pay more attention in future.
Thank you for the education. It was set to be such a dull evening.
*rolls eyes*

showing is about production. schooling and lots more prep. dressage is about schooling, precision, athletiscism. In some ways they are not so different, in other ways they are very different. Dresage is not about pinning head to horses chest. Pot..kettle.. sig....... (and no I don't normally say things like that!)

and flapping :confused: ...... thats why spurs were invented surely?

Natch

Visit site
SHILLS OMG U R SO TOTALY SELFISH YOU DONT NO NOFING ABOT COB THEY RULE AND WOT DO U RIDE THE DEVILS HORSE? BET ITS A SKINNY FOROBRED WOT CANT EVEN KEEP SOUND INNIT OVER BOGGY GROUND NO BUT YER BUT NO UR OUT OF ORDER

DIS IS ME ON MA COB AYEEEE!
VickyPollard.jpg

glitterfuzz

Visit site
SHILLS OMG U R SO TOTALY SELFISH YOU DONT NO NOFING ABOT COB THEY RULE AND WOT DO U RIDE THE DEVILS HORSE? BET ITS A SKINNY FOROBRED WOT CANT EVEN KEEP SOUND INNIT OVER BOGGY GROUND NO BUT YER BUT NO UR OUT OF ORDER

DIS IS ME ON MA COB AYEEEE!
VickyPollard.jpg

In English?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
showing is about production. schooling and lots more prep. dressage is about schooling, precision, athletiscism. In some ways they are not so different, in other ways they are very different. Dresage is not about pinning head to horses chest. Pot..kettle.. sig....... (and no I don't normally say things like that!)

I disagree!!!! Yes its who looks and MOVES better on the day but so is dressage!!!!!

Agree about the precision but when your doing your individual show the judge wants to see the same thing as a dressage judge does, effertless communication between horse and rider, IE literally no obvious aids.

Oh and I wouldnt say her horses head is stuck to its chest in her sig at all so maybe get your specs checked.

Now if I put a smiley on the end of that does it make it nicer????

Nikki xxxxx :D

Natch

Visit site
Excuse me, my fat cob-loving sister was using the computer just then. She's not good enough to ride proper horses. Oh how I look down upon her from my noble steed. :)

Seriously you lot, I'm uphaulled by your headless chicken reactions. I'm sure this has been done before but with a lot less hysteria.

Maybe the old smileys helped ;)

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
soph...... everyone is entitled to their opinions I have given mine nowt to do with anyone else thank you so I find your comment rather unnecessary.

PMSL!! A lot of people find this entire thread rather unnecessary, but as long as the ring leaders agree with what's being posted to wind people up, it's fine. Yet I post something to wind you all up back and you bite back... perhaps that was my intention... after all, this post was clearly to amuse the people posting it, so maybe I am just providing my own piece of amusement? It's really not worth getting worked up about Ester... :D

However, this quote is below the belt, personal and very cheap... how much do you know about my horse that allows you to make such comments???
Do you honestly think that this is what I think about dressage, xc and showjumping. Unfortunately, unlike some, you included, I appreciate that every discipline requires it's own different areas of skill. I was merely making a point. It's a shame that in you're rising to the bate you had to involve a bitchy, snidey, uneducated comment about a horse and situation you know nothing about. Nobody else has been so rude as to bring personal comments into this. This just says it all really.

Last edited:

GypsyGirl

Visit site
This is a bit silly really. I think someone is rather bored and have nothing better to do then write posts like this. Even if it was ment to be a joke. I think its unfair that your saying these things.

My little mare is lovely, shes only 13.3 and she will happily go round jumping 4ft3. I will admit though, she is a lot better at xc. But she will also do well in dressage and showing. She is a really nice pony and yeah she is a novice ride, I mean my 3 year old niece and 7 year old niece come up to ride and shes nice as pie to them! Im not a novice at all, Ive worked at racing stables and everything in the past and im quite happy with whatever I have.

But what ever happens your always going to love what ever horse you have. How would you like it if someone put a post up on why people have Warmbloods? and let everyone comment on that. My mare isnt FAT - and atm she is HAIRY, but then again its this time of year and shes moulting.

I take it that yours is clipped all the time then and is never hairy or moulting. She is a great horse to ride. The last time she went xc she followed a TB round and managed to keep up with him and done everything she could. People were suprised at how well she was and that she actully managed to keep up with an ex racer.

I take it that you have nothing better to do then to make posts up like this.

flowerlady

Visit site
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?

Hahahahahahahaha

Sparkles

Visit site
Your thoughts?

My thoughts? You are very brave person for posting that on here.

I take it you don't follow cob showing? Or even met a decent cob at least?
If you're going on your bad bred bog cob then yes, you;ll get what you described. But you'll get that with badly bred other breeds too. There are standards and when kept ad produced to them they are superb creatures.

As far as being for 'scaredy novices' I strongly differ. I've NEVER advised a novice to a get a cob for a first horse or to learn on. Too big, too strong and generally why they turn into the barge arse bad tempered ones you describe. Winni was an absolute fruit loop, heavy cob that was COMPLETELY turbo with no brakes at all but would jump the moon. Would out gallop and out jump any warmblood or hunter here. But in all fairness, he was a complete and utter nutcase to ride. Keets was a controllable turbo cob who was just a tank soon as you aimed him at a fence and did 4ft+ courses and affiliated SJ and BE.
And Dukey....well. He's just Dukey. Not met a person yet who hasn't fallen in love with him tbh.

No cob I know at present is a novice ride or anything you describe. You need to go to county level ridden cob showing and allow yourself to be introduced to proper coblets! I'll be damned if you find one 'hairy cob' on our yard lol. They're all hogged and clipped within the first hour or arrival.

So your answer to your post? Because they're a complete bundle of fun and a walking party and hold no fear factor at all.

For the record, I'm a thoroughbred owner/warmblood fan myself...but couldn't have a yard without a fun little coblet on it too alongside!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Jeez, you could all at least make Shils work a bit! She'll get fat and lazy (bit like a cob actually!) if you make her life so easy!!

Cobs aren't half as bad as those mongrel Shire X TBs, I heard they only bred them so the TB adds some flavour to the tough Shire meat??

ester

Visit site
soph..nope I like to read your post and you showing reports and, spending too much time on here for my own good noted that it had come up on discussion before actually. I remember because I have similar probs with my boy who has similar tendencies.

shall I add a few more smileys cos really all in jest :) :) :) :) as we really have been here before and perhaps it those that didnt see the previous thread that are finding it harder?

I disagree with glitterfuzz's choice of horse, her with mine. Thats ok otherwise they would all look the same :)