Why does everyone hate coloureds??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I know there are alot of people who dont like hairy cob type coloureds but so many people have said to me a fab horse Jester is, shame about the colour :(
Ok so Im biased but I think he is a cracking looking boy ♥ I love coloureds, esp piebalds, particularly if they are 50/50 evenly marked with dark heads.
Why the prejudice against them?? Even with the Sports horse/warmblood types??

Mithras

Visit site
I don't hate them at all, I think they are very nice, but I prefer a more traditional solid coloured horse myself.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of breeding for colour, as opposed to conformation/performance/trueness to type.

Goldenstar

Visit site
To me they look like cows and I would never buy one.
I am viewing horses later today and the dealer said I have a cracking coloured WB I did not even want to hear about it.
I know loads of people love them but they don't appeal to my eye so why have one.

Suec04

Visit site
My daughter and i absolutely LOVE coloureds!!! We have a hankering for a skewbald hairy cob but would equally be happy with a piebald! Maybe they are associated with Travellers and therefore people don't want the same association? when i was a child, my dad wouldn't let me have a 'Gyspy horse' for that reason. Now i am an adult, i want one more than ever! :) Your boy is beautiful! lucky you! :)

Dizzleton

Visit site
I don't hate them, I would never have one as I must prefer solid colours. I find the mixture of white with brown/black/chestnut etc unappealing to the eye. However, saying that; I often find they have pretty faces if it's a solid colour.

ridefast

Visit site
I don't hate coloureds unless I'm considering taking mine out to a party, then I think about what a long job it's going to be getting her clean... groan... whereas a solid bay only requires a decent groom to get looking shiny. Cleanliness aside though, I don't care what colour a horse is

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Oh no dont get me wrong I dont agree with breeding for colour either, a horse should be bred for conformation and temperament.
And if they are not aesthetically pleasing to your eye thats fair enough.
I just end up feeling like mine is some kibd of sub standard reject the way people talk about him :eek: Yet the bay who doesn't have a fraction of the presence or paces the coloured has is considered to be a "proper" horse :(

ETA: I love my coloured boy to the moon and back so its not really a big deal...just makes me sad that people turn their nose up at him for his colour :eek:

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I can honestly say that I have never viewed a horse or not viewed based on colour preference. I currently have a bay, a grey, a skewbald, a piebald and a black horse. I have owned chestnuts and a dun. Really colour for me is immaterial - as my siggy states :)

A self cleaning horse would be a bonus ;)

dianchi

Visit site
Im not a traditionalist coloured fan, but then cobby types are not my thing.

Well marked coloured with dark head, dark tail, and evenly marked legs are lovely.

I was praying my filly would be chestnut but got myself a bay- still love her!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have never not looked at a horse because of colour either. And when looking for my horse, with a reasonable budget, I still don't think there were enough around to be picky about colour.

If anything nowadays I think that many people would actually choose a coloured horse. When I was at pony club 30 years ago there were hardly any coloureds there, and most of them were borrowed from riding schools. Nowadays there are loads. In those days there were loads of palominos, you don't seem to see many of them anymore, except haffy types, which aren't technically palominos anyway!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I love coloureds, especially my tricolour ! but I much prefer my two buckskins for keeping clean, mud dries and just blend it in a bit with a dandy brush, no chance of that with four white legs and a white tail :( Now a coloured buckskin- that would be perfect :) if I can hire someone else to clean it for me ! Having said that, I can't stand a coloured with too much white, has to be more solid colour than white.

TrasaM

Visit site
As the person responsible for the thread about controlling coloured hairy cobs I have a confession :eek:
My favourite horse is a medium weight coloured somethingorother X. My OH has threatened to join the forum and post pictures of me riding him :D
He's not mine but I wish he was. That saying would I deliberately seek one out? Possibly not as I learned its not the colour of the coat but the horse inside who matters. So if it's the right horse then I don't think I mind which coat it's wearing :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have fond associations with coloureds so I probably do get drawn to them more than other people. However, my favourite has to be solid black. It's so time saving.

Zero00000

Visit site
I love coloured, always been a sucker for them, but never been one for a chunky cob,
I know own a bay tb star and white bulb on near hind, a chestnut arabxwelsh with a blaze and 2 hind socks and a big fat piebald traditional cob with so much mane tail and feather I havent a clue what to do with it lol

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I'm not fussed on colour and love my skewbald blue roan. When he is clean his white fur is like snow <3 but he's never clean for long I've never viewed or not viewed based on colour but I understand why some people have a very clear idea of what their horse should be like

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
fleabitten grey is my least favourite colour .. actually I also dislike few spot appys or cremello/perlino. Took my coloured out hunting and I heard a little girl point out my sister on the pretty buckskin, her brother then pointed at my horse and said to his dad 'daddy, that one looks like a big hound!'.

Suec04

Visit site
i have a confession too - i don't like chestnuts :/ simply because, every one i have ever owned, worked with or ridden, without any exception!, has either bucked, bolted, bitten, dumped or barged right through me!! i think i must be very unlucky as i am certain there are chestnuts out there that would never dream of doing such a thing - i just haven't met one yet :-( so, yes, i have not looked at a horse because it was chestnut! :-( :-(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
See, I would go and see a horse based on colour. IMHO there are good horses of every colour so why pick a boring bay which is impossible to spot in the warm up? The amount of times I've lost my friend in the dressage warm up on her bay I can't tell you!

I like a nice chestnut, or anything a bit unusual, but not a boring bay with no white markings. Not sure I'd have a grey again after owning my own grey mud wallower, I'd probably pick a bay over a full grey! :D

WelshD

Visit site
There are so many poor quality coloureds about that I think thats what puts me off them a bit, on a horse with poor conformation the colouring can be very unforgiving and on a horse with good conformation unfortunate markings can give optical illusions of faults that arent there.

I have seen very few ads where a coloured horse is not described as nicely marked, it seems to be a bit of a buzz phrase - I think some of these people need to get to specsavers!

When you see a nice one though they can look amazing! there was a beautiful coloured show pony at HOYS in the 'mainstream' show pony classes and it held its own wonderfully against the more commonly seen bay show ponies

I wouldnt set out to buy one I'm with a couple of the other posters in that you have to love what you buy. In saying that I ended up with two greys and they arent my favourite colour either!

Dizzleton

Visit site
See, I would go and see a horse based on colour. IMHO there are good horses of every colour so why pick a boring bay which is impossible to spot in the warm up? The amount of times I've lost my friend in the dressage warm up on her bay I can't tell you!

I like a nice chestnut, or anything a bit unusual, but not a boring bay with no white markings. Not sure I'd have a grey again after owning my own grey mud wallower, I'd probably pick a bay over a full grey! :D

I have a boring bay with no white markings - Obviously I'm biased, but I do think he's handsome

null-30.jpg

null-20.jpg

eb1c55bf-f69e-4e61-899c-037d7f6061ce.jpg

TrasaM

Visit site
i have a confession too - i don't like chestnuts :/ simply because, every one i have ever owned, worked with or ridden, without any exception!, has either bucked, bolted, bitten, dumped or barged right through me!! i think i must be very unlucky as i am certain there are chestnuts out there that would never dream of doing such a thing - i just haven't met one yet :-( so, yes, i have not looked at a horse because it was chestnut! :-( :-(

Now you mention it, neither have I. :eek: So I guess my nightmare horse would be a ginger section D

Auslander

Visit site
I've always had a soft spot for well marked coloured sports horse types - and I like solid coloured horses with white markings. I'd love Alf to have four white socks, rather than three - but other than that he's perfect!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I really like a nice coloured its just all that white is hell if you have one to show, although your able to do more classes with a coloured if they are chaps registered so I wouldnt not buy one, bay is my favourite colour though.

pip6

Visit site
Don't hate them, but very against breeding for colour or trying to force coloured into breeds that pure breds are only ever solid. They can never be pure breds so what is the point getting to 99.xxx%. To often horses parentage has been chosen for colour first, then conformation and temperament etc which should be primary reasons. Not saying all coloured bad, but there has been indiscriminate breeding because they were fashionable.