Why does everyone hate coloureds??

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I went out looking for anything but a coloured and ended up with this

I'm now a coloured convert. But I do prefer the sports types rather than the traditional coloureds.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Who you calling big head?

320844_10150514987694251_637904250_11604157_265108535_n.jpg
[/URL]

howverydareyou.jpg
[/URL]

Oh. My. God!!!!!!
I think Im in love ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am a big fan of coloured horses, I set out to buy a piebald in fact, but Nell's willing nature won me over, even though she has a massive wonky blaze for which I was never a fan, I do prefer a neat, not too broad blaze! But I think she is very pretty all the same.
I have always been a fan of coloureds, and I have always been a fan of Friesians in all their black beauty for that matter, oooo and dark liver chestnut with flaxen mane an tail, or as it seems to be called these days silver dapple, gorgeous....

Cowpony

Visit site
attachment.php

Surely you find the horse you "click" with, and if it happens to be coloured/bay/chestnut/skyblue pink with dots on you buy it?

Visit site
I have always said i would buy a black/bay gelding.... and i ended up with a tri couloured mare! haha :D
She was on her way to the meat man as was 3year old un handelled 15.1ish filly so she ended up with me! shes lovely and couldent wish for a kinder horse :)

Last edited:

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I do like some coloureds but I wouldn't buy one especially a traditional cob. Why would you want to ride a horse with such a heavy head which surely makes it heavy on the forehand and hard work to ride. I expect coloured cob fans will put me right though!

weird! I usually ride cobs and find they hate a lot of rein contact and become much better if you leave them to it, certainly don't feel heavy in my hands, whereas I rode a dressagey hunter IDx recently and my god, I felt like I was CARRYING his head!

Achinghips

Visit site
My big traditionals are light as feathers too and keep a contact beautifully. The trick is to stop them becoming unfit and obese, and actually work them properly and provide the right diet, as with any horse .... and not just take them out of the field occasionally and expect them to carry the rider and themselves around the school once in a blue moon, while suffering big bellies and weak backs.

Last edited:

Sophstar

Visit site
I plan to buy lots of high factor suncream when I see it being sold off at 'out of season' prices, so I'm all prepared next summer.

On a slightly different topic, sunscreen's effectiveness almost halves every year and is pretty much useless after a couple so if you have old 'last year' ones bear this is mind. As sunscreen doesn't have an expiration date, supermarkets can store it and restock it the following year. I know because I use to work in one and some of the sunscreen had been sat in the warehouse for nearly 4 years and got brought back up every year in attempts to sell it! By that point it was essentially an expensive moisturiser.

DJ

Visit site
My big traditionals are light as feathers too and keep a contact beautifully. The trick is to stop them becoming unfit and obese, and actually work them properly and provide the right diet, as with any horse .... and not just take them out of the field occasionally and expect them to carry the rider and themselves around the school once in a blue moon, while suffering big bellies and weak backs.

Yes, very much this ^^^^^. My boy was VERY overweight when he first came to me, and it takes a lot of hard work keeping it off him too, i`m very relieved winter is here to help lol and come summer next year he`ll be on a starvation paddock all summer (much to his utter disgust) ..... I`ve put this pic on before, but here is the pic of when i first got him (left) and after some serious dieting and exercise (he was rising 3 here):

slimjim_zps9f7f5110.jpg

Keeping on top of their weight and fitness is so important.

Achinghips

Visit site
My gosh ... I bet he feels sooooo much better now. My new boy, on the pic you've quoted above is a bit overweight, so he's on a diet now too .... :). Thing is I didn't notice it, as love can be blind. .... My instructor said QUICK DIET !Thank goodness I can listen ! hmmm, in retrospect wonder if she was talking about me ! Lol

Last edited:

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I reckon the poeple who hate coloureds have had one and know how blinkin' hard it is to keep them clean!!
After 20-odd years of solid bays, I spent 11 months praying for my foalie to be coloured..he is and he's drop-dead gorgeous..but what was I thinking?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I reckon the poeple who hate coloureds have had one and know how blinkin' hard it is to keep them clean!!
After 20-odd years of solid bays, I spent 11 months praying for my foalie to be coloured..he is and he's drop-dead gorgeous..but what was I thinking?

This really made me laugh :D
That seems to be the only real downside though to coloureds....and for the 3 or 4 minutes per year that they stay clean they look amazing ;)

Hippona

Visit site
See, I would go and see a horse based on colour. IMHO there are good horses of every colour so why pick a boring bay which is impossible to spot in the warm up? The amount of times I've lost my friend in the dressage warm up on her bay I can't tell you!

See...I generally go and see a horse based on its colour . ;)
If it's pretty and grey I tend to buy it, even if it's a raving lunatic :)
When I was young ponies were all brown and hairy and as a consequence of that I like the pretty greys and pallys. I do have a nice dun as well.
I don't dislike coloureds ( or skewbald and piebald as I know them ) unless they've got blue eyes.
I'm not keen on heavy horses full stop but I've seen some really nicely marked finely built coloureds I'd happily own.