Why does everyone hate coloureds??

RunToEarth

Visit site
True but there are good horses in all colours so buy one you like .

I bought my previous horse, a piebald, because he hunted well and would jump anything. I had him 7 years and loved him to bits, but the thing that I constantly found myself hankering back to was the fact that he was coloured, and had too much white on his face. I never really got over it, I grew to love his markings, he was nicely coloured, I just wished he had a dark face, the braze ruined his look.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
In my younger days, it was always chestnuts for me. But having worked for the RSPCA for many years, I have hands down been taken over by coloured cobs. I had more cases with these than any other horse, and they are just so gentle, kind and forgiving.

ps I would never dislike any horse because of it's colour. hate is a strong word.

Last edited:

risky business

Visit site
I would just say it's a differ in taste rather than hate.

I don't think I could hate any horse but there are certain types of horses/ colours I prefer to others it's normal.

As long as you like your horse and makes you happy I wouldn't care for other thoughts.

coloured_trio

New User
Visit site
I thought it was the other way around! that coloureds were becoming TOO popular!
For me, I'm only interested in looking at a horse if it IS coloured! I think they are much more fascinating and unique than any other colour. Once you've seen a bay horse you've seen a thousand IMO :-D
Looooooove my coloureds

3OldPonies

Visit site
I love coloureds, think they're brilliant. The only one's I have a slight prejudice against are weedy looking riding horses with spindly legs that you sometimes see in coloured classes. The ones that are all body and no leg! I think being coloured' doesn't do that type any favours whatsoever.

I remember the first time I rode a skewbald at riding school, I was over the moon to be riding such a lovely beastie!

(I am biased too - I have a tricolour and a blue roan, and my part time ride is a piebald.)

pennyturner

Visit site
There are some stunning coloured horses. I suspect that's because when the army were rounding up every decent animal to be slaughtered in WW1 they wouldn't take them, so some good bloodlines were preserved.

Personally I would never choose a horse for colour - although if I found one I liked and it happened to be a pretty colour (solid or otherwise), so much the better. Strongly disagree with breeding (or choosing) primarily for colour - breed for strength, stamina, temperament, soundness, intelligence, not fashion.

cob&onion

Visit site
Who cares what other people think?! i love my coloured, everyone has prefrences. If anyone doesn't like a particular horse for whatever reason than thats their problem! each to their own i'd say :D

DJ

Visit site
I love them and have owned 3 ..... I think it is right, that a good horse is never a bad colour, but I do agree that there way too many with bad conformation and other serious problems.

I have a black, and a coloured now, and love them both.

My Blue .... i think he`s handsome :)

Bluey1_zps4f674a31.jpg

Bluey_zps8f63ea99.jpg

bluey2_zpscefcc938.jpg

and this is what he thinks to those who don`t like coloureds .. ;)

Bluetongue_zps38fb1c92.jpg

Grinchmass

Visit site
Personally, I don't really like them. Especially if they're predominately white. It doesn't help that I had a 17hh grey who was white because of age, gives a girl nightmares trying to get him clean before taking him anywhere.

It's all about personal preference though, some won't like my "boring" bay, others hate gingers, where as they're my favourite colour. Although I happen to think my bay mare is very pretty, and she's appealing to my eye.

Personally I would possibly discount a mainly white coloured when buying, although may consider one with minimal white. I just think that if I'm spending that much money on something, and I have to look at them everyday then I may as well like what I see.

I would never tell someone shame about the colour though, they obviously like them, and they're happy. The world would boring place if everyone liked the same things. Also I'd never say I hate coloureds, it's more I find solid colours more appealing.

MochaDun

Visit site
Not in my patch they don't. Coloureds appear to be the new black in horsey terms - I have one :) and on the yard I'm on over a quarter of the horses are coloured and most other horses we meet out are coloured too these days :) Sometimes for me though it's not about the colour of a horse but about its shape/prescence/head/temperament and other factors that combine to make a lovely whole :)

Polos

Visit site
I love them so much I own two :p I never set out to buy a coloured but I have ended up with 2 haha.

I would never turn down a horse because of it's colour if it was perfect in every other way

Here are my two boys:

1451380_10200654575755937_31224235_n_zps7c21bc61.jpg

(he is white on the other side aside from a brown head and circle round his tail)

jackjackgoeseventing066_zps99a83728.jpg

(whereas he is evenly coloured on both sides)

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
but very against breeding for colour or trying to force coloured into breeds that pure breds are only ever solid. They can never be pure breds so what is the point getting to 99.xxx%. there has been indiscriminate breeding because they were fashionable.

Yes, lord knows what they were thinking when abominations such as this were bred? Plus only 99% Arab - what's the point in that?

rodbaston%20stafford%20477.jpg

Everyone knows that arabs should be solid in colour, like this little purebred...

toxic__46_.JPG

:p ;) :D

claracanter

Visit site
Many moons ago, I used to ride one. He belonged to a friend of my brother's and when I used to go to shows I always felt frowned upon. They were regarded as gypsy horses then, but not in a good way like they are now. Now it is almost completely the reverse and there are so many showing classes for coloured horses. Personally, I much prefer solid colours, in fact the horse I have now has no white on him at all. I think I would be partial to a strikingly marked Appy though!

Achinghips

Visit site
I love them and have owned 3 ..... I think it is right, that a good horse is never a bad colour, but I do agree that there way too many with bad conformation and other serious problems.

I have a black, and a coloured now, and love them both.

My Blue .... i think he`s handsome :)

Bluey1_zps4f674a31.jpg

Bluey_zps8f63ea99.jpg

bluey2_zpscefcc938.jpg

and this is what he thinks to those who don`t like coloureds .. ;)

Bluetongue_zps38fb1c92.jpg

Wow absolutely stunning ! I'm very jealous. I love coloureds so much, I bought another one last week ! :0

Kikke

Visit site
Take no notice!
I would love a coloured cob, always wanted one. For now the welsh cob will do but do know what I would like next time round.
I would say 50% coloured cob and 50% welsh cob would be my ideal.
Maybe I should breed one myself!

sarahann1

Visit site
When it comes to horses, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I couldn't give a rats bottom what colour it is. I'm partial to a tri-coloured, but I'll take any horse that has the right personality, half decent conformation and is between about 14.2hh and 18hh, pref a gelding. I'm such a crap rider these days I can't afford to be fussy about colour!

Buds_mum

Visit site
Take no notice!
I would love a coloured cob, always wanted one. For now the welsh cob will do but do know what I would like next time round.
I would say 50% coloured cob and 50% welsh cob would be my ideal.
Maybe I should breed one myself!

There you go ;) best cross in the entire world, fact! with a dash of ID thrown in :) FWIW his colouring isn't the only reason I bought him but I think he is beautiful and a least doesn't blend in hehe ;)

1098377_10152111740519989_419898721_n.jpg

529357_10151822458134989_1833757463_n.jpg

1454803_10152341531249989_1522002001_n.jpg

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Fwiw, when we moved to Oz, I would have made an absolute BOMB if i'd taken my coloured cob over and then sold him. I was even told that horses of his type are regularly stolen, so it was best he wasn't out there.

TrasaM

Visit site
Yes, lord knows what they were thinking when abominations such as this were bred? Plus only 99% Arab - what's the point in that?

Everyone knows that arabs should be solid in colour, like this little purebred...

toxic__46_.JPG

You see how sneaky those coloured cobs have been. They can now disguise their shape by morphing into the physical appearance of real proper hosses like Arabs and TBs !

nix123

Visit site
I dont hate them. I wouldn't have another one tho. I just prefer a solid colour. But if it was a toss up between a nutter solid or a perfect coloured then coloured wins hands down.:D

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

toxic__46_.JPG

Now it has to be said I'm not a huge Arab fan as they are a bit small and fine for me but WOW!!!!! Those are fabulous ♥♥♥♥