Why does everyone seem to have a flash bridle?

Damnation

Visit site
I have to say, my only gripe with any noseband is when it is done too tight, especially a flash or a drop as it can really restrict a horse's nostrils. But then an ill fitted tightly done cavesson will do this.

Also, my pet hate is a noseband that is pulled down too low to accomodate a flash.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
There is a video doing the rounds on fb... there's a "trainer" showing students how a tight head/crown piece can be damaging to a horses poll.

What she failed to notice was how tight the noseband and flash were which prohibited the "give" on the headpiece. The bridle was essentially compressing the whole head. Had they noticed, they would only have needed to loosen the flash/noseband by two or three holes (or that little known two-finger rule) and it would have given some relief at the poll. What they did instead was loosen the cheekpieces to give space then had to re-tighten the flash/noseband.

*Facepalm*

Sealine

Visit site
I don't use a flash any more. My horse came with tack including a bridle with a flash noseband. Over the years I realised he didn't need it and when I started hunting I decided the less he wears that can rub or cause discomfort the better.

Also I've been on a couple of XC clinics with Nick Turner and he really isn't a fan of flashes and removed them from a couple of young horses that were hesitant with steps and water. If I remember correctly he thought they discouraged the horse from relaxing it's jaw and dropping it's head. He said he has a collection of them because he forgets to give them back :)

Equine_Dream

Visit site
ive admitted to using one, and not been jumped on ! But to be honest, I wouldn't care if anyone did, my horses, my choices. Id happily invite anyone to come and watch mine be ridden.

agree. I've also said I use one when jumping my mare. She is ridden in a happy mouth snaffle at all times and I don't wish to change her bit as she goes beautifully in it and has a lovely soft mouth. But when jumping she gets very strong and rushes into a fence, the flash just helps me have a little more control and steady her. Its not cranked so tight its digging into her skin, and the rest of the time she is ridden the flash strap is taken off.

Antw23uk

Visit site
The more in tune with my horse I become the better he goes and the less tack I seem to make him wear. Fashion and ignorance I should imagine are big factors in what tack people impose on their horses!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I recently indulged myself and bought a really stupidly bling covered sort of bridle for everyday use. Lovely sparkly browband and noseband, but it has a flash attachment as standard. Not a problem, thinks me, I'll just leave the strap off, job done. Anyhow, I was tacking up and a fellow livery was very keen to point out that I'd "forgotten" to put on the flash strap. I informed them that I already had a 5 point breastplate, so didn't see the need to add a makeshift grab handle between the D rings of my saddle.

They didn't get the joke :(

I suppose I really should get around to removing that little loop from the noseband...:D

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I recently indulged myself and bought a really stupidly bling covered sort of bridle for everyday use. Lovely sparkly browband and noseband, but it has a flash attachment as standard. Not a problem, thinks me, I'll just leave the strap off, job done. Anyhow, I was tacking up and a fellow livery was very keen to point out that I'd "forgotten" to put on the flash strap. I informed them that I already had a 5 point breastplate, so didn't see the need to add a makeshift grab handle between the D rings of my saddle.

I suppose I really should get around to removing that little loop from the noseband...:D

:D :D

Antw23uk

Visit site

Mine is currently used for keeping two gates closed together, lol!

Shadowdancing

Visit site
It's mad that you struggle more to get a nice plain cavesson bridle than a flash or others... I was in a tack shop the other day, admiring the bridles, and every single one on display had a flash...

alainax

Visit site
ahh brilliant, thanks :)

Here you go :) So there's the head stall, then 3 straps on each side ( plus throat lash) - 2 for cheek pieces, 1 for noseband. It just so happens that one strap sits behind and out the way, so you can't see it when not in use :)

6ee2054f6b.jpg

6ee208dee1.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Here you go :) So there's the head stall, then 3 straps on each side ( plus throat lash) - 2 for cheek pieces, 1 for noseband. It just so happens that one strap sits behind and out the way, so you can't see it when not in use :)

6ee2054f6b.jpg

6ee208dee1.jpg

ah ha! Fabulous, thanks

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm doing a pre-house-move tackroom clearout and I just found a bundle of about ten flash straps at the bottom of a trunk .....

I think you mean, as well as ant's gate closure:

Spur strap
Dog collar
Breastplate spare part
Emergency tie ring
Leather replacement curb chain
Emergency rounding
Saddle safety handle
Dog chew

Any more, anyone :) ?

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I think you mean, as well as ant's gate closure:

Spur strap
Dog collar
Breastplate spare part
Emergency tie ring
Leather replacement curb chain
Emergency rounding
Saddle safety handle
Dog chew

Any more, anyone :) ?

You know how sometimes you end up with three spare snaffles, a Pelham half a size too big, and a random Dutch gag that came with your stable? Flash straps are great for keeping them together in one tidy bunch :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You know how sometimes you end up with three spare snaffles, a Pelham half a size too big, and a random Dutch gag that came with your stable? Flash straps are great for keeping them together in one tidy bunch :)

Good one :)

Replacement cheek piece with a cable tie through the holes to secure the other end to the bit.
Emergency hay net closer.
Coat hangar attached to a D ring on the saddle

Can we get to 100 do you think ?