Winter & Turnout!

Jess Blenkiron

New User
Visit site
Just looking for advise as I don’t know if I’m overthinking it or just been to soft!
Just wondering if there is anyone here that doesn’t turn out in the field in winter?
Basically, 6 months ago I bought a show pony who I hope to gain confidence with and affiliate in a few years! I just worry to turn him out as he is a bit of a hooligan and my last horse did a tendon injury in the field last winter!(I understand they aren’t the same horse and so can’t paint them with the same brush)
He’s not bothered about being in, and is quiet happy even when others are out and does get out in the school for a leg stretch or a hand walk for some grass!
I just feel guilty as he is in however so worried about turning him out when it’s wet or too hard!
Any advice would be appreciated x

Austen123

Visit site
my mare hates being out in winter. She is happy for an hour or two and then wants to come in.. doesnt show visible signs of stress however will happily walk through the electric fence to come in. While the weather is so rubbish and fields are so wet she is living in (YM rules currently). she goes on the walker while i muck out in the morning, hand grazed for 15 mins. In the afternoon i exercise her and then another 15/20 mins hand graze. she is very content and happy with this. Hopefully when the ground dries up and spring grass comes she will be happier to spend longer out. last summer she was happy living out 24/7 so definitely just a fair weather horse

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I have a Welsh d that I show and he’s out everyday unless the weather is particularly foul. He’s a horse first and a show horse second.

We have a hardstand for when the field is really wet and when the ground is harder he goes in the field. In summer he is out 24/7 only in if we are going to a show the next day.

Michen

Visit site
I think not turning a horse out because of your own fears is a bit selfish IMO. But I can understand it. I lost a horse to a kick in the field and still struggle to be ok with turning my two horses out together, but they are so much happier than on individual, so I have to remind myself it’s not about me and my fears but my horses happiness.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horses have been shown all there life and they mainly live out all year round they are happier being out.

I often think if horses are really restricted with turnout they tend to get a bit silly in the field especially in winter, I personally think all horses should have some sort of turnout daily, you might find once you get him in a routine going out regularly he should settle down as it won't be such an exciting prospect.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've never owned my own before, but as far as I can tell horses can injure themselves doing all sorts. Keeping them in all the time won't eliminate that possibility. I would worry about impact of keeping in full time on behaviour which could increase likelihood of injury (the energy needs to go somewhere at some point). Also would wonder about impact on the horse's joints and muscles etc, of not being able to move about freely.

Winters100

Visit site
In my opinion they need to have daily turnout unless there is a medical reason not to do so. A hand walk is no substitute. If it is truly impossible to turn out then you can manage it, but you need a lot of time and energy to give them sufficient exercise and mental stimulation. I also firmly believe that a horse which stands in the box for the majority of the day is much more likely to have problems.

Really this is a horse and it deserves to live life, not to just exist standing cooped up in a box. You may think the horse is happy, but just not reacting badly to it's predicament does not actually mean that it is happy.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
If you're not happy to turn out in the field in winter then you'll need to either work the pony hard (as in several hours a day), or pay someone else to do so, find somewhere with an open yard, barn, track livery or other "winter turnout" arrangement or not have a pony. Sorry, but that is my opinion. Keeping a pony stabled full time is cruel, only acceptable in an emergency or on vets advice, and also bad for them physically. A hand walk is no substitute.

Arzada

Visit site
Really this is a horse and it deserves to live life, not to just exist standing cooped up in a box. You may think the horse is happy, but just not reacting badly to it's predicament does not actually mean that it is happy.
Yep. The thing to do is to open the stable door, clip it open and see what choices the pony makes. A bit like 'Love It or List It' where human movements around the house are boiled down into the percentage of time spent in each room in one day.

meleeka

Visit site
Yep. The thing to do is to open the stable door, clip it open and see what choices the pony makes. A bit like 'Love It or List It' where human movements around the house are boiled down into the percentage of time spent in each room in one day.
I have an older pony who appreciates her stable in bad weather. All mine are free range with access to stables 24/7 if they want. I shut her door overnight in the winter, to give her a break from the others and so I can put leg wraps on when it’s really cold. I don’t however bolt the door. She’s free to push it open anytime she likes, but usually only does if I’m later than normal in the mornings.

I wouldn’t keep any horse permanently stabled. OP the likely reason your horse is a hooligan is because going out is exciting. Horses than live out do hooley but it’s not a common occurrence. By providing daily turnout your horse is likely to be calmer I have a friend that keep horses in because they are ‘show horses’. They do a handful of local shows a year. Another friend turns out daily in all weathers and she’s shown at Olympia with this management!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A tiny bit of me gets it op. I lost my horse this summer to a broken leg.
Mine are out every day rain or shine but I have got a bit nervous and had to stop myself rushing to get them in if they are playing or having a crazy moment.
It’s highly unlikely history will repeat (I hope, that’s what I tell myself!) and it is unfair to keep a horse in however quiet about it they are.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It is so wet here that we can only turn out for a bit in an old lunge pen.
There is no choice ,.it is heavy clay here.
The horses seem to cope OK and when the ground has been dry enough, mine won't stay out for more than a couple of hours.
It is not ideal but it's what it's like around here. As soon as the ground is dry enough again we can start turning out again and we were able to turn out fairly regularly until about Christmas

Rosie'smum

Visit site
See my pony just loves her stable too much and much rather have an hour or so out (if that some days) and then wants to come back in. Friends have always joked shes agoraphobic :D I really would like to be in a situation where she could come and go when she pleases. No matter if its summer or winter, rain or shine she will bring herself in if she feels shes had enough. I thought it was because of her field mate being full on but its not the case. Yesterday my friend messaged to say she had gotten out of her electric fence and pacing the main gate back to the yard. Friend went to put a head collar on but Rose just bought herself in. Other day she jumped out so bought both back in turned my other out when others turned out, Rose didn't even look up!
In the summer she ignores an 19 acre field full of grass to come into her stable.

While I agree that keeping in for your own reasons isn't great, if the horse is happy and in the work and has mental stimulation then i don't see too much of an issue. Other than getting them out on the days when ground/weather improves.

be positive

Visit site
Just to put in another view two of the worst injuries I had in my yard, where I kept liveries as well as my own generally out as much as possible in small groups on wet clay land, were in the stable both pure accidents when rolling so if something is going to go wrong it can, they are also more at risk of colic.
I don't remember ever having a serious kick injury, one horse did tweak a check ligament fooling about but the more they stay in the more likely they will fool about when they do go out or become tricky to ride so getting out for some time most days has always worked well for me, the odd day in and shorter days out in the depths of winter is fine but I think if they get no turn out it is not fair and I would wonder what day the owner decides it is safe as by spring the shows will be starting and it would be easy to extend the time in until it is 'safe' so eventually they never get out 'just in case':confused:

scats

Visit site
I’ve had several horses have career ending accidents in the field. It does worry me when I see my girls having a mad hour (which is quite frequently!) but it’s a risk that you take with horses. If it got to the point that I was that worried about it that I’d consider locking a horse in for 23 hours a day, then I’d have to seriously re-assess whether horses were really for me anymore.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
It is so wet here that we can only turn out for a bit in an old lunge pen.
There is no choice ,.it is heavy clay here.
The horses seem to cope OK and when the ground has been dry enough, mine won't stay out for more than a couple of hours.
It is not ideal but it's what it's like around here. As soon as the ground is dry enough again we can start turning out again and we were able to turn out fairly regularly until about Christmas

Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. Assuming your an adult and not in some kind of modern slavery / coercive control situation then its your decision to live where you live, to have a horse and to keep it at this yard. So its your decision to keep it in for what, 2-3 months every year. I'm sure some horses cope, but is cope good enough. As someone has already said this would be illegal in some countries and for good reason. If people didn't keep horses at these yards, they would have to put their prices up and invest in proper all weather turnout rather than a single old lunge pen.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horse Sky is hooligan in the field particularity when he’s not out and about doing stuff like at the moment .
Hes already walloped his leg causing a spilt to get a bigger behaving like a loon on not brilliant ground but you just have turn them out it’s good for them it’s as simple as that .

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. Assuming your an adult and not in some kind of modern slavery / coercive control situation then its your decision to live where you live, to have a horse and to keep it at this yard. So its your decision to keep it in for what, 2-3 months every year. I'm sure some horses cope, but is cope good enough. As someone has already said this would be illegal in some countries and for good reason. If people didn't keep horses at these yards, they would have to put their prices up and invest in proper all weather turnout rather than a single old lunge pen.

Out of curiosity, where is this illegal and is it actually enforced?

It really entertains me, the things people tell themselves to justify keeping a horse in a box 24/7 or 23/7

It's very common here. A friend complains that her 23 year old leisure horse (so not serious riding/work) is stiff. She lives in a box (with some time in the walker) from November until April or May. Then stands on a small paddock for a few hours in the summer. Um. You do the math.

Also complained when a horse (again on no turnout) walked out of his stable looking a hit stiff. Well, no s*it!

Or when they have behavior or body issues...wow, what a surprise. A horse that is kept in the box has issues, who would've thought!

Blows my mind, really.

We finally have some mud-free winter paddocks at the yard (finished this year) and some still want their horses in. No turnout at all. What?

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I'd rather not have a horse if it had to endure that life. I couldn't live with myself!

Good decision OP. The more he goes out the less exciting it will be.

My new horse likes being stabled but its because he's been institutionalized from the repetition of it, not because he 'loves' his stable! (He's my second horse that's been like it from the industry they worked in prior to me!) He goes out every day all day come rain or shine and yes, im taking advantage of his quietness to stable because its so wet and my fields are rotten but by next year he will be out OUT OUT!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am not sure how a turn out law could work .
Laws have to be framed in simple terms or they are useless .
You can’t say horses must be turned out everyday by law because it in the real world it complicated .
You have a day off you spent the morning clipping your horse and then take it for a long ride then it’s dark so the horse does not get turned can’t do that any more .
Horse cut leg does not need vet needs a clean dry leg for a few days or a poisoned foot dealt with by farrier I would keep that horse in for a few days .
Horses going hunting or a trip for a long hack , not really possible anymore .
Competitions very very difficult in a lot circumstances , international high level competition impossible , a industry destroyed .
What could done is super strict control on the number of horses a livery could have based on its turn out facilities this would cost money , restrict livery places lead to lots of homeless horses and make livery much more expensive .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'd rather not have a horse if it had to endure that life. I couldn't live with myself!

Good decision OP. The more he goes out the less exciting it will be.

My new horse likes being stabled but its because he's been institutionalized from the repetition of it, not because he 'loves' his stable! (He's my second horse that's been like it from the industry they worked in prior to me!) He goes out every day all day come rain or shine and yes, im taking advantage of his quietness to stable because its so wet and my fields are rotten but by next year he will be out OUT OUT!

My horses like their stables they like their field .
Getting horses happy in the stable is a knack of mine .
My horses are not stupid they know it’s dry inside it’s warm and easy to lie down. In summer they know there are no flys inside .
Horses lives can be saved by them being good in the stable it’s a good thing that horse is easy about stabling it’s a gift you them .
I get pretty crossed by people saying I won’t put my horse through box rest he’s hates the stable when it because no ones bothered to make the stable a nice comfortable part of life .

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Out of curiosity, where is this illegal and is it actually enforced?

Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark I believe. Don't know details of enforcement, but I did read that since 2008 in Switzerland blocks of individual stables have reduced 25% and track livery setups increased 120%.

jnb

Visit site
I would have said a lot of things OP has, with my old show cob who I showed to County level - he would hooley around in wet weather at 1000mph scared me to death so he was first out and first in (but always got a minimum of 6-7 hours a day unless yard rules said they weren't allowed out).

I wish (and I have had nightmares about not having the nerve to give up my yard with outdoor school but at least 6-8 weeks every winter with no turnout, for a simple sole use yard with no school) I had had the nerve to move to a set-up like I have now, with ample low quality grazing, huge shelter and a stable in emergencies - it is my very strong belief that horses are often conditioned (by us (and by us, I mean ME :( , in the case of my old cob, or yard management) to treat turnout as a mad exciting thing when it is restricted so it becomes a vicious circle - you bring them in early because they're playing up, they get less turnout ergo it is more exciting when they get it, and the window they are turned out for, gets smaller and smaller and they become more bonkers when they DO get out.

Think about the people in lockdown (because that's what horses in stables 24/7 are under) - how mad did a lot of teenagers go, when restrictions were lifted? Raves, parties, marches, mass gatherings.

Anyway what I am trying to say is, I believe in turnout and so do most top show yards.

However, I live very close to a top pony yard and their ponies are rarely out. In fact they normally have about 25-30 to produce and about 5 acres max. You see them at shows and they look like polished, shiny, miserable robots with a tiny kid on top.
It makes me feel ill.
I'm glad to see OP has decided the pony will go out :)