Wood pellet prices!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Just looked at my last order in August 2021 and the unbranded from White Horse Energy were £230 for a full pallet. Now they’re £399 and out of stock anyway. The Platinum Plus are currently £430 for a full pallet. What was a cheap bedding isn’t so cheap now ☹️.

Anyone seen any cheaper deals - I’ve got half a pallet left but thinking about next winter now.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
think the war/sanctions on russia have had an impact too, i read that they were a big exporter of wood pellets. i am going to pick up some straw pellets tonight, my feed supplier sells them at about what wood pellets work out at currently. and wil then buy in smaller amounts, more frequently... not more economical but spreads the cost :/

MuddyMonster

Visit site
think the war/sanctions on russia have had an impact too, i read that they were a big exporter of wood pellets. i am going to pick up some straw pellets tonight, my feed supplier sells them at about what wood pellets work out at currently. and wil then buy in smaller amounts, more frequently... not more economical but spreads the cost :/

Can you update how you get on with straw pellets? I've been considering swapping to straw pellets too.

tda

Visit site
I still have about half a pallet, don't seem to have used many this year
I order from a local company, but the delivery lad said they come from somewhere far away (usa/Russia can't remember )
I tried straw pellets, they do end up a darker bed if that bothers you, and I thought the particles stuck to things more than wood, they were bearable but more expensive

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Just looked up some straw pellet prices and they look significantly cheaper. The only think I’d be worried about is them being eaten.

Are there any recommended suppliers of straw pellets?

milliepops

Visit site
I'm just going to pick up some strawmax as that's what my feedshop sells but if they work ok i would be interested in knowing that too, SBTS.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Just looked up some straw pellet prices and they look significantly cheaper. The only think I’d be worried about is them being eaten.

Are there any recommended suppliers of straw pellets?
I used pellet beds last year. They are ok. Possibly less dusty than wood pellets. They are darker in colour but other than that they are good.

Squeak

Visit site
I've used straw pellets ltd for a few years and always found them good. I prefer straw pellets to wood pellets as you don't have to soak them and I don't think they are as hard when compacted (more springy/ firm).

I've never had a problem with horses eating them. They might have an initial excited mouthful but they're usually spat out pretty fast and not repeated.

Will be interested to hear how you all get on with them in comparison.

Fjord

Visit site
I put chopped rape straw on top of straw pellets to discourage my piggy from eating them. The colour is dark and they don't look that nice but they are far less dusty so I can live with it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
One of mine is pretty tidy and would be ok with it as an absorbent layer underneath a different bedding. The other is a pigpen that can mulch a dropping within minutes if not seconds.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I was satisfied with straw pellets but I'm even more satisfied with rapestraw pellets. They're typically lighter in colour and they're the same price as wheat straw pellets (here, anyway). They also don't taste as good so horses are less likely to eat them.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was satisfied with straw pellets but I'm even more satisfied with rapestraw pellets. They're typically lighter in colour and they're the same price as wheat straw pellets (here, anyway). They also don't taste as good so horses are less likely to eat them.
Ohhh where do you get these from? I’d be very interested in that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ohhh where do you get these from? I’d be very interested in that.

A company in Germany (where I currently live) so my recommendation is useless ? 8€ for a 20kg sack. I am surprised the price hasn't increased yet!

Just checked and they're 8.40€ now. Not sure about UK sourcing and prices, but if you can find some, give them a try.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A company in Germany (where I currently live) so my recommendation is useless ? 8€ for a 20kg sack. I am surprised the price hasn't increased yet!

Just checked and they're 8.40€ now. Not sure about UK sourcing and prices, but if you can find some, give them a try.
That’s disappointing!
With any luck they will catch on here in the UK at some point.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Would cat litter wood pellets be any use? Aldi had loads of 15kg wood pellets cat litter in today, which i think were £3 each
That’s interesting as usually I’ve found cat litter a lot more expensive. There is a local Aldi so I’ll have a look. Often cat litter is sold in litres rather than kilos so it’s harder to instantly compare.

Nasicus

Visit site
Would cat litter wood pellets be any use? Aldi had loads of 15kg wood pellets cat litter in today, which i think were £3 each
Often the same stuff under a different name/bag. Quality depends on which originating manufacturer they come from. Eg the Platinum cat litter wood pellets in P@H are the exact same as the platinum horse wood pellets.

Janglos199

New User
Visit site
Often the same stuff under a different name/bag. Quality depends on which originating manufacturer they come from. Eg the Platinum cat litter wood pellets in P@H are the exact same as the platinum horse wood pellets.
I didn't know that, thank you! Feels good to learn something new every day.

teacups

Visit site
I got told yesterday that my supplier of cardboard bedding cannot get any now.

Depending on where you are in Yorkshire, I got some bedding from The Bedding Barn, who have only started up recently - noticed they have cardboard bedding. If you are only slightly out of their delivery area get in touch with them - they’ll probably be fine. Prices very good I thought.

ETA re straw pellets, I got a pallet recently from something like ‘strawpelletsdirect.co.uk’ - would have to look up the name, but even after delivery was added it worked out £1 a bag less than at my local feedstore (where the price had gradually gone up by more than £1). So £65 saved, ánd I didn’t have to drive to get them. It all helps.

Last edited:

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Depending on where you are in Yorkshire, I got some bedding from The Bedding Barn, who have only started up recently - noticed they have cardboard bedding. If you are only slightly out of their delivery area get in touch with them - they’ll probably be fine. Prices very good I thought.

ETA re straw pellets, I got a pallet recently from something like ‘strawpelletsdirect.co.uk’ - would have to look up the name, but even after delivery was added it worked out £1 a bag less than at my local feedstore (where the price had gradually gone up by more than £1). So £65 saved, ánd I didn’t have to drive to get them. It all helps.
I have just looked them up and cannot see any cardboard on their bedding lists, they do however deliver to my postcode.

milliepops

Visit site
I got strawmax pellets for £5.50 a bag from the feed merchant which is currently less than the pallet price WHE wood pellets I was using. My feedshop sells palletloads, I think the pallet price was nearer a fiver a bag. So far, so good. horse had a brief chomp then thought better of it. I think I'll stick with them for now and might look at getting a pallet nearer to the winter.