Wood Pellet Users Beware!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm a huge fan of wood pellets for bedding and for the last couple of years have been using and recommending left right and centre, those from White Horse Energy.

Not any more!

My last pallet of their lovely Platinum Plus pellets arrived on 15th January and were immediately put under cover, still in their complete plastic wrapping and on the same pallet into our barn but I didn't start using them for another fortnight. The first few bags were all badly sealed at the factory with some holes in them and I noticed that these bags had air holes in them too (H & S rearing their ugly head I supposed) but didn't think much of i. I had read some reviews where the bags were complained as being too flimsy but never been affected by that before myself.
Every layer of bags have been damaged from the faulty seal and some have even split right open. I use six bags a week and if I get two perfect bags of those which haven't lost any pellets, I reckon I've done well. Many of the bags are showing dampness inside with clumped pellets too as if they had already been soaked. No water can get into the barn but most people will agree that it has been the dampest on record which is affecting the atmosphere, I'm not disputing that at all but in the five years I've been using wood pellets, I have never had any go damp in the bags before they're even opened and until this year, they were stored outside under the overhang of the boxes. In fact one of the selling points of pellets has been they can be stored outside in their bags.

NOT ANY MORE!

When I finally made contact with them, sent them pictures of the damaged bags and those still in the bale wrapping, I did get an apology and that they would take it up with their suppliers but they are now saying it's my fault for storing them in a barn instead of a garage or shed and that they need the holes in the bags so they can breathe - that took my own breath away believe me as I've never had bags with holes in before.

So now folks, take your pellets indoors with you to keep them dry as the company are not taking responsibility for using sub standard packaging.

Would you be happy if your pallet of pellets was like this with a lot of wastage? You can clearly see the bulges in the pallet wrapping where bags have split that are still in the unused portion.

Photo0437.jpg

Photo0438.jpg

Photo0434.jpg

Photo0432.jpg

Photo0436.jpg

Photo0433.jpg

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Mine have been like that because the ducks have pecked at them but would be peed off if they arrived like that. Especially as I have to store outside under an old rug.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
White horse platinum plus pellet bags have always had air holes in them (about the size of hole punch holes). They do not advise storing them outside OR in a damp environment. This is different to some other brands of wood pellets.

I stored LWP outside and they didn't have holes. Dome of the bags did go solid over time but still useable.

eggs

Visit site
Mine used to always look like that but now I cover the whole pallet with a heavy duty plastic sheet weighted down with tyres and very rarely have a split bag or dampness. I used the split and damp bags from earlier days without any problem.

Cragrat

Visit site
I once got a pallet of White Horse pellets - never again, because the packaging was so poor.
This year I got a pallet of Sorbeo pellets- arrived about late October, and stored in a Dutch barn, in front of the hay stack ( ie quite near the front, vulnerable to rain) with no extra protection. I am down to the last layer now,and have not had a single split or damaged sack, and none of the pellets have been damp at all.

Orca

Visit site
Well I wouldn't be happy with them. It's not much to ask that packaging be intact on arrival - and I wouldn't have any use for horse bedding which if stored in a dry barn, invalidates any guarantee I might otherwise have. Their customer service stinks, by the sound of it!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I would be demanding that pallet was picked up and replaced, that is not acceptable, you can see by the wraping that the bags further down are spoiled as well.
I work within equine retail and we would have picked that stright up and replaced, should never have been sent out like that to start with

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the verdo pellets have small holes in the bags too..

I also don't see why they would be wasted? Just pre-activated?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I would be demanding that pallet was picked up and replaced, that is not acceptable, you can see by the wraping that the bags further down are spoiled as well.
I work within equine retail and we would have picked that stright up and replaced, should never have been sent out like that to start with

White horse customer service generally IS very good. Anyone I know whose sent photos of split bags has had them compensated. I think maybe the issue is you didn't complain within 14 days of delivery?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
White horse platinum plus pellet bags have always had air holes in them (about the size of hole punch holes). They do not advise storing them outside OR in a damp environment. This is different to some other brands of wood pellets.

I stored LWP outside and they didn't have holes. Dome of the bags did go solid over time but still useable.

Nowhere on the Platinum Plus listing to say about storing them and this is my second load of them; my previous ones did not have this problem. Perhaps I did not notice the holes as I didn't have any problems or split bags with the previous pallet. I think they're the best pellets I've used and I've tried several but I'm not going to put up with this bad packaging and be accused that it's my fault.
Blurb from their PP listing - Platinum Plus wood pellets are manufactured from a particularly high grade of source material - this makes these one of the lightest coloured wood pellets available. These wood pellets are suitable for use as wood pellet horse bedding (horse bedding pellets) or in modern pellet boilers. It is worth noting that as a horse bedding pellet Platinum Plus significantly outperform any other wood pellet on the market in terms of their absorption and their fluffiness (the volume they expand too) and are used by a number of Olympians in their stable yards. Platinum Plus wood pellets also have a very high calorific value for use in wood pellet boilers.

These pellets have now received their ENPlus Certification (LV007).

Please ensure you use the correct VAT rate for your purchase.

We now have a fantastic new bag on these pellets. We're receiving great reviews about the quality of bags and are confident that you will be impressed with them.

Well I wouldn't be happy with them. It's not much to ask that packaging be intact on arrival - and I wouldn't have any use for horse bedding which if stored in a dry barn, invalidates any guarantee I might otherwise have. Their customer service stinks, by the sound of it!

I'm not impressed with their replies either! The only place without a damp atmosphere this winter is inside the house; don't think OH would be too impressed if I stacked a pallet beside the fire. Besides, the damp atmosphere hasn't caused any damage to my hay or haylage that's kept in the same barn!

Any poor service I vote with my wallet, plenty of other places to spend my hard earned money.

I think so; shame as I really rate these pellets.

I didn't expect that full response seeing as I've used half of them but something like a small concession off my next order for the sheer hassle of it all due to their bad packaging would have been appreciated. It's not like I've taken them out of the wrapping and damaged them myself, they've arrived like that.

I'm pretty sure that the verdo pellets have small holes in the bags too..

I also don't see why they would be wasted? Just pre-activated?

I've never used Verdo so wouldn't know. I'm actually scooping the loose pellets into a bucket to use so they won't be wasted except for the ones that have been crushed underfoot but it's damn annoying to pick up a bag for the side to split open everywhere.

ester

Visit site
I guess I was just wondering if it was standard, we have two brands in the barn so I shall have a look at both shortly :). I imagine it might be a H+S thing given that they can create a build up of carbon monoxide.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
White horse customer service generally IS very good. Anyone I know whose sent photos of split bags has had them compensated. I think maybe the issue is you didn't complain within 14 days of delivery?

If that is the case why is it not once have they mentioned the 14 days limit to me in their emails?

As I said before, when they arrived they looked fine and I didn't start using them for a fortnight from delivery; it was only on opening the pallet that I found the damaged bags and later still as the bags expanded in the wrapping.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It was on the phone that they said don't recommend storage outside as bags have air holes in them and can absorb damp. I think I specifically asked before my first order, and as a result stored them indoors.

I do think there is dry storage and damp storage - my hay store has air flow but stays dry. My feed / tack room tends to damp and i battle with damp traps to stop mould.

I've not had any problems with bag quality or bags splitting since May order (first of stronger bags). But I would advise checking all bags intact on delivery and letting them know if any are damaged and sending them photos ASAP. I'd expect them to refund any badly split / burst bags, but think delivery terms are such you need to notify ASAP not weeks later.

Dollysox

Visit site
I use these and have a full pallet that I have been using over the winter which is stored at the front of the open fronted barn and can get rain blown in on to it. I have had one split bag only during this time. I have used the Customer Service when we had a problem with a delivery driver and another order and have always had excellent service from them.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I have always ordered online so have never heard of that. If that's the case perhaps they should include it on the website as most of their orders come from that I believe.
Should I honestly be expected to open the pallet and move every bag to check them and do their quality control for them instead of leaving them wrapped up in their protective plastic before I need to use them?

Michen

Visit site
They are still perfectly usable even if a bit "preactivated" given most of us soak them before putting them in the bed anyway? A few of my WHE platinum plus bags are like this, it doesn't bother me, they are still just as useable and a better product at a better price than most others I've found

Mike007

Visit site
You are buying a biofuel at a fraction of its true worth internationally, and to put it mildly ,there are certain irregularities regarding VAT . And you bitch about the packaging.

vallin

Visit site
Please can you explain? Thank you.

I usually have one or two split bags per order but there used to be a warning about the packaging on the website (don't know if it's still there) so can't say I've ever been bothered. IMO they're the best value pellets even with the extra labour of sweeping up loose pellets.

wills_91

Visit site
I posted about WHE a few months ago and there p!ss poor customer service - never again and the bags are IMO terribly flimsy.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I usually have one or two split bags per order but there used to be a warning about the packaging on the website (don't know if it's still there) so can't say I've ever been bothered. IMO they're the best value pellets even with the extra labour of sweeping up loose pellets.

there still is a warning about storage - bottom of this page http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/wood-pellet-comparison

Apparently all bags have small holes in. I had another pallet load about 3 weeks ago and the packaging is fine - last lot was good too and I moved and re-stacked them 4 times without issue. I've got them stacked by a barn door now and one got completely soaked the other day, that's split a bit in one corner but I'll just scoop it up and throw it in the stable.

honetpot

Visit site
You are buying a biofuel at a fraction of its true worth internationally, and to put it mildly ,there are certain irregularities regarding VAT . And you bitch about the packaging.

Often even if you have bought them as horse bedding and paid the 20% VAT they come in the same packaging unless you are having them delivered straight to a large storage hopper.
I would imagine if you had bought them as fuel you would be even more annoyed as it would effect your boilers performance, as the boiler work on a trickle feed hopper system. They sell them with the % of moisture as part of the specification of use for boiler or stove.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Can I just reiterate, I am not saying anything about the pellets at all, I think they're the best I've used but I am complaining about the packaging.

It comes to something when every other bag has faulty seals but some have even split down the long side too and try as you might, you cannot move those bags without most falling out. That obviously happened at the pallet stacking stage before they arrived here so that means not the product but the packaging used is not fit for purpose. That is what I am complaining about. If it had only been one or two in the whole pallet load I wouldn't have bothered but this is just shoddy workmanship completely.

Perhaps I've just had a very bad pallet packed on a Friday afternoon, I don't know.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
In the last 5 deliveries of pellets from White Horse Energy 4 of the deliveries have been damaged. There have been either split bags or the actual pallet has overturned on the delivery lorry. When I've contacted White Horse they always apologise however they again always say that I should refuse the delivery. That's great however sometimes you don't know the damage until you've opened the pallet up. Also I order when I'm about to run out because I don't have the storage to hold more than one pallet.

It is about time that they used a better bag for the pellets because it's a constant complaint by so many customers that the bags split too easily.

ester

Visit site
Often even if you have bought them as horse bedding and paid the 20% VAT they come in the same packaging unless you are having them delivered straight to a large storage hopper.
I would imagine if you had bought them as fuel you would be even more annoyed as it would effect your boilers performance, as the boiler work on a trickle feed hopper system. They sell them with the % of moisture as part of the specification of use for boiler or stove.

verdo and balcas brites definitely have holes in, I checked ;)
I would be more annoyed if I were burning them
re the vat given plenty of people burn home made manure bricks I reckon that might count although you don't actually know what VAT maesfen paid as you select it on the website :p

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
Have you actually had a delivery of the previous bags, Maesfen, or have your deliveries always been in these bags with blue logo? Because I can assure you that the previous bags were terrible and made of paper that disintegrated after a few weeks. The blue logo bags are superb in comparison but I'm very surprised at the amount of damage yours has received, I wonder if the dampness has caused the bags to burst as they're not as robust as some other makes. I had a full pallet of pristine bags and every pellet I've ever bought (many different makes) have pinholes in the end of the bags.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Have you actually had a delivery of the previous bags, Maesfen, or have your deliveries always been in these bags with blue logo? Because I can assure you that the previous bags were terrible and made of paper that disintegrated after a few weeks. The blue logo bags are superb in comparison but I'm very surprised at the amount of damage yours has received, I wonder if the dampness has caused the bags to burst as they're not as robust as some other makes. I had a full pallet of pristine bags and every pellet I've ever bought (many different makes) have pinholes in the end of the bags.

Echo this.

The link above is fascinating and gives storage advice.

Though I think slightly damp pellets to go in a bed, not an issue as breakdown anyway.

http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/wood-pellet-comparison