Working equitation

eahotson

Visit site
Went on Saturday to watch a working equitation clinic near me.Its the first time anything like this is in our area and it looks as though it may take off.The woman giving the clinic was very good and I like the way she taught both horses and people.She broke things down into stages so no one got overwhelmed.She encouraged one slightly nervous horse to cross the bridge by encouraging the rider to let her stop and look and then she walked over it in front of her.She ended up by doing the bridge several times in a very relaxed and confident way.

daydreamer

Visit site
I went to watch one of the competitions in Norfolk last year and it looked great. Everyone was very friendly. One very nice lady explained some of the rules to me. I realised later that I'm pretty sure it was Holly Barber who is one of the best Working Equitation riders in the country :oops:

If there were any clinics for it in this area I'd love to have a go next year when my youngster is a bit more established.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Working equitation seems to me to be a bit like TREK.

I only do the riding school lessons for what I can apply when hacking or doing longer distance (two to seven day) trips.

Like when I can see that fifty metres ahead there is a low branch hanging over the right hand side of the path, I apply right leg pressure to get my horse to move to the left hand side. Or when we're stopped to check the map I use turning on the forehand to turn my horses arse to the grass and his nose to the gravel so that he's not tempted to start grazing.

rextherobber

Visit site

I only do the riding school lessons for what I can apply when hacking or doing longer distance (two to seven day) trips.

Like when I can see that fifty metres ahead there is a low branch hanging over the right hand side of the path, I apply right leg pressure to get my horse to move to the left hand side. Or when we're stopped to check the map I use turning on the forehand to turn my horses arse to the grass and his nose to the gravel so that he's not tempted to start grazing.
Bits of the obstacles are trec like, but different sections require different things, a speed section and a more dressagey bit, where it matters how you do things. And at the highest level, cutting a cow from the head and penning it. I haven't done anything like that yet, but looks so much fun!

Vodkagirly

Visit site

This what I thought until I went to a demo something between trec and handy pony. It turns out it's more like an exciting dressage with obstacles. It was about accuracy, rhythm and presentation but with a bit of choice so you can chose the pace that suits your horse for each obstacle. It's all about the training so you need a well trained horse not necessarily an expensively bred one. I can see the appeal.

MuddyMonster

Visit site

I always think of WE obstacles as a sexier, more dressagey TREC PTV. Whilst TREC is the more agricultural country cousin in my mind (rightly or wrongly) 🤣

I do TREC and would struggle to look as glamorous as the WE I've seen ;) Plus I would always rather hack than do a dressage test for one of the other phases!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
It’s great fun..my YM teaches it and runs clinics at our yard and others. My mare surprises me at each practice…not bothered about bull or lance being waved around…will half pass along a pole although we only trot through the obstacle practice…no cantering..and we are not fast!

Suncat

Visit site
I've been involved for a good few years now, and it is a lot of fun, as well as being great training. I honestly think I found it/started to please my inner pony-child who didn't have an actual pony and missed out on mounted games :D and it also pleases my wanna-be dressage diva! I did do Trec previously, which I liked, but I was a disaster with the Orienteering. The Association that runs WE are really thoughtful and put a lot of value on ensuring the sport is welcoming at every level, and as @Vodkagirly said the sport rewards great partnership, harmony and training so you can excel with pretty much any breed.

It definitely feels like the sport is picking up in popularity in the last year or so 🤞

J&S

Visit site
I am really jealous of those doing this now! I loved Handy Pony, was super keen on the PTV/MA sections of TREC and had a small horse who was pretty neat at dressage. Sadly she is retired and I am too old now. Mind you, I still do online Trec competitions with the companion pony, perhaps some one will start WE on line!!

Tarragon

Visit site
We had an "Equitation" class in an on-line event I entered during lock down. It was something like walk 6 strides, trot 12 strides, walk 6 strides, trot 6 strides... (I cannot remember exactly) - and was much harder that I thought it first looked! I loved practising to be that accurate.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Hope it's ok if I bump this thread (massively ☺️). I've tinkered a bit with WE before, with some self-made obstacles in the arena. We had a broomstick for a garrocha 😅. However, in February, March, and April I'm going to take some proper WE lessons, and even ride a small unaffiliated competition course (more like a practice course, it's not an official competition). Will also be the first time at another location for my young horse.

I'm soooo looking forward to it. He is brave-ish, but also a young Arab and dressage-wise we're only at the barest of basics, so we'll see how it goes. One of the most fun, and allround types of horse sports i.m.o.

Not sure how it is in the UK, but here the sport seems to be gaining popularity (I'm in The Netherlands).

Peglo

Visit site
There’s a small group of folk wanting to start up WE up here. It will be very unofficial and we’ll see how it goes but I think it will be very fun. We have a few different locations planned and if it’s a hit we might look to make it more of a thing.
I do not expect to be any good but think I think me and Tali will enjoy it.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I'd also love to have a go at this. It would be great if riding schools started doing it. I suspect that's wishful thinking on my part though. It would give the horses more to do than plod round a school.
One near me does because they have an instructor who is into it! She also does clinics locally- I did one last autumn and it was great fun, although in many ways really challenging.

She also had some really useful advice about rein back, which is applicable to loads of other situations.

rextherobber

Visit site
Hope it's ok if I bump this thread (massively ☺️). I've tinkered a bit with WE before, with some self-made obstacles in the arena. We had a broomstick for a garrocha 😅. However, in February, March, and April I'm going to take some proper WE lessons, and even ride a small unaffiliated competition course (more like a practice course, it's not an official competition). Will also be the first time at another location for my young horse.

I'm soooo looking forward to it. He is brave-ish, but also a young Arab and dressage-wise we're only at the barest of basics, so we'll see how it goes. One of the most fun, and allround types of horse sports i.m.o.

Not sure how it is in the UK, but here the sport seems to be gaining popularity (I'm in The Netherlands).
Our most local clinic is usually oversubscribed, it's a very supportive, friendly bunch and I'm sure it's gaining hugely in popularity in UK. Hope you have fun, I'm sure you will have a great time!

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I don't even know what it is, but it sounds fun and challenging. Isn't there something similar in Western disciplines?
Yes, Ranch Trail is a bit similar to the obstacle trail in WE. The origins of WE lie with the techniques used by the southern European working horsemen working with livestock, western as a sport comes from their American counterparts. The difference may be that a typical WE competition consists of three parts: WE dressage, trail ('ease of handling') and speed trail. In some instances it includes driving cattle as a fourth part.

I have been watching this on YouTube having come across it on YouTube it looks tremendous fun especially the speed tests .
I would love to do a clinic
It is fun! When I practise our (very basic) obstacles, my horse isn't even aware that he is working, and neither am I!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I don't even know what it is, but it sounds fun and challenging. Isn't there something similar in Western disciplines?
My understanding is that it comes from Iberian cattle/horse ranching traditions so there are probably overlaps with elements of several Western disciplines.

I believe, but happy to be corrected, that some Portugese riders compete in traditional tack which isn't exactly the same as "English" riding tack, but not full western either.