Working equitation

j1ffy

Visit site
Will do. I had one about dietary requirements, but that was it?
Unfortunately if it went I to junk it will have been automatically deleted by now.
There were three - all from the same address (times, extras, dietary requirements) - just drop an email back and ask for the other info.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I forgot about this thread but we recently did a working equitation clinic. I've only done it once before, and had a play around with a few simulated obstacles at home occasionally. No photos but we did the bridge, slalom, bell + rein back, and tried the pen. I got very confused about what we were supposed to do coming out of the pen though, and I suspect our sideways type movements aren't really there yet.

I was very pleased our rein back was straighter than last time- we only knocked the poles over once!

Anyway, it's definitely a lot of fun, and I think both me and Blue find it a more engaging way of training dressage type movements!

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm being lazy and copying and pasting my report from the weekend thread. Short version = spicy Chilli on day one, more chilled Chilli on day two, lots of learning, plenty of sleep and lots of fun!

Chilli and I had a great time at WE camp. We arrived early Saturday morning and I headed into a psychology workshop. Came back to a very dozy Chilli...unfortunately the sleepiness didn't extend into the arena and we had a very tense and spicy first 'ease of handling' lesson! Luckily it was with a trainer who has met him a few times. He was still very good with the obstacles themselves. After a quick nap (for both of us - my old dog had kept me awake for half the night, probably stressed about the storm coming!) we had a dressage test run-through. Chilli was far more relaxed in the warm-up then rode like a tank on a pogo stick for the test itself, it was hideous. We spent the rest of our time with the judge getting him to relax so we ended the day with some nice work.

Lovely dinner and a massive sleep (apparently it was a bit windy...I didn't even notice 🤣) we were back to it for another ease of handling lesson inside followed by a EOH test with the judge outside. Chilli had clearly had a massive sleep as well, plenty of squashed poos, poo stains and not much hay gone! However he was far more relaxed and did a great job, except gates which are usually our strong point... In the test ride we got an 8 for our sideways pole, with the judge saying it's the best she'd seen all morning across all levels, a 7 for our bridge but down to a 4 for the rope gate.

We learnt loads and met some lovely people (including other HHOers!). I'm waiting on a video from our EOH test yesterday PM but here are a couple of clips from the lesson yesterday morning, including our new gate problem and Chilli helping me to fix it ;):

eahotson

Visit site
I'm being lazy and copying and pasting my report from the weekend thread. Short version = spicy Chilli on day one, more chilled Chilli on day two, lots of learning, plenty of sleep and lots of fun!

Chilli and I had a great time at WE camp. We arrived early Saturday morning and I headed into a psychology workshop. Came back to a very dozy Chilli...unfortunately the sleepiness didn't extend into the arena and we had a very tense and spicy first 'ease of handling' lesson! Luckily it was with a trainer who has met him a few times. He was still very good with the obstacles themselves. After a quick nap (for both of us - my old dog had kept me awake for half the night, probably stressed about the storm coming!) we had a dressage test run-through. Chilli was far more relaxed in the warm-up then rode like a tank on a pogo stick for the test itself, it was hideous. We spent the rest of our time with the judge getting him to relax so we ended the day with some nice work.

Lovely dinner and a massive sleep (apparently it was a bit windy...I didn't even notice 🤣) we were back to it for another ease of handling lesson inside followed by a EOH test with the judge outside. Chilli had clearly had a massive sleep as well, plenty of squashed poos, poo stains and not much hay gone! However he was far more relaxed and did a great job, except gates which are usually our strong point... In the test ride we got an 8 for our sideways pole, with the judge saying it's the best she'd seen all morning across all levels, a 7 for our bridge but down to a 4 for the rope gate.

We learnt loads and met some lovely people (including other HHOers!). I'm waiting on a video from our EOH test yesterday PM but here are a couple of clips from the lesson yesterday morning, including our new gate problem and Chilli helping me to fix it ;):

Well done.

blitznbobs

Visit site

Well done (love your boots btw)

Fieldlife

Visit site

Lovely to meet you. I had a great time too but haven’t got round to a proper write up yet.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Nope not seen anything 😕
Did you do the comp today?
Sad about the photos, as know they took lots of us. Getting a bit late for any to be shared, I think?

I was at Wing Jumping Regional yesterday. Long long day and 130 mile round trip, but we are definitely improving from Brook Farm in March. Scores in dressage and Ease of Handling both up a decent amount. And the sun shone! Think were over 30 entries.

Matafleur

Visit site
Sad about the photos, as know they took lots of us. Getting a bit late for any to be shared, I think?

I was at Wing Jumping Regional yesterday. Long long day and 130 mile round trip, but we are definitely improving from Brook Farm in March. Scores in dressage and Ease of Handling both up a decent amount. And the sun shone! Think were over 30 entries.
I will be sad if there are no photos, surely they will release them as they were taking loads.

I'm going to have a go at the Brook Stud training comp next week. I have convinced mine he can go near the varra at least, just have to deal with my own complete lack of coordination now!!

Well done at the regional!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Oh well done on seeing some improvement!
I had entered for Wing, but when the times came out it would have just been too long a day....12hrs door to door. Not including prep time in the morning before hand.
It's a shame as was really looking forward to it and Wing and Sparsholt are the only ones within a 'reasonable' distance. But have some more clinics coming up so hopefully will be good to go for Sparsholt.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Better than moaning in private. You know we love a good moan.....

Go ahead with your moan, Meredith. By all means leave out names and/or places if being too identifying makes you uncomfortable.

It’s not just noseyness from us HHOers, it’s genuinely informative to hear of different experiences.
I haven’t moaned in private. The organisers and instructor know.
Ok briefly. I set off knowing nothing of WE. My pony knows nothing. I told the instructor and said I was going to lead F around the obstacles to show them to him The instructor engaged with me twice in the hour. Once when F was frightened by outside happenings, she led him and did some pushing over (? ) stuff and the second time at the end when she spoke to me briefly. I spent the hour walking about rattling poles and cups, undoing a rope gate, walking round a tarp and frightening F with a bell. We did walk across and stand on a ramp but only when asked to by the photographer. I stood F across a pole but didn’t know what to do. I didn’t get on F at all.
The instructor has said she thought I said I wanted to to it alone. ???
The other rider said it was the best lesson she’d ever had.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh dear, that’s very disappointing. The instructor should have checked in with you at intervals throughout the session and, even if you had wanted to remain dismounted, to work with you dismounted and to give you as much time as the other attendee.

What was their response after it was over?

Meredith

Visit site
Oh dear, that’s very disappointing. The instructor should have checked in with you at intervals throughout the session and, even if you had wanted to remain dismounted, to work with you dismounted and to give you as much time as the other attendee.

What was their response after it was over?
I was perhaps too upset but I did express my unhappiness. I didn’t know she thought I wanted to do it alone until today, where that came from I suppose is because I said I wanted to show F the obstacles. I’m not sure of her last response because I admit I walked away saying I doubted I would do it again.
I didn’t mount because the other rider was dismounted until almost the end and I didn’t want to do anything without permission. Also what was the point, I had no clue what I should do?
The organiser has expressed her regret that I had not enjoyed it.

Meredith

Visit site
The other rider was dismounted too? That makes it worse.

I’m sorry that a session which you had paid for and were looking forward to was so unsatisfactory.
Everyone else booked on the day apparently had a great time. I don’t know how many / if any others were first timers like me.

Meredith

Visit site
That sounds most unsatisfactory, still it's more about rubbish lesson structure/poor teaching skills than it being the fault of WE. If you'd really like to give it a go could you see if there was another instructor around?
I'm not sure. It is new to this, we’ll call it, place. I hadn’t heard of it before and thought I could tootle about doing it at my own pace in my old age. I thought it would be like handy pony. I was always rubbish at that but didn’t much care.😀
I have no idea where to look for other lessons either.
Also I have to drive the horsebox 40 miles just to collect and return F from the yard without the journey proper so distance is relevant.

eahotson

Visit site
Some instructors and some people just don't jell.Sometimes it's the fault of one or the other, sometimes it's just one of those things.If you are still interested try and find another instructor.