Working kelpies

Mightymax

Visit site
Hi,

Just seen this about Kelpies. I live on a farm and own a 7 y.o. solid red, male Kelpie. I only have experience of this particular dog which I've had since a pup, so by no means an expert on the breed, and wouldn't know if he is a typical Kelpie, but having also had other breeds of dog over the years including Collies and GSD's, there is no comparison!

He works as my partner, not my slave. He is very loyal and stays with me all the time, plus he's hugely intelligent with a terrific work ethic being very quick to learn things, usually only taking one 'explanation' to understand what is needed. Then that is it. That's how you do it. He just loves to work.

As an example, I started some agility with him, which was fine, until we had a change of trainer, who wanted to do things in a different way. Cue: huge vocal temper tantrums, as this was NOT the way we did it!

I also have sheep, but he shows no interest in herding them at all. This is probably my fault, as I did not let him see sheep until he was about 3 y.o. Although he comes from working stock and has Australian papers, he does not seem to be sheep savvy in the way a working bred Collie would be. (My Old GSD would automatically herd sheep having had no training.)

Following an injury that put paid to carrying on with agility, I now do tracking with him, which he loves.

To sum up, I would say that they are not really a pet, are hard tough, (but also sensitive, If that makes sense?) clever, independent and vocal dogs, needing a lot of mental stimulation. He can also sometimes be a bit sharp with other dogs. Given the chance, he can also be very demanding (bossy!) getting quite vocal if he doesn't get his own way.( My OH lets him get away with blue murder lol!)

He lives in the house with my other dogs, but unless in his indoor kennel he doesn't really have an off button. Give him his toy and he will amuse himself all evening by hiding it in the log basket, and then puzzling out the best way of retrieving it, or placing it very carefully on my knee for me to give it back to him!

He hates the very hot weather which is strange considering his Australian heritage and is quite noise sensitive. He also totally covers himself with his blanket at night, with maybe just his nose or a paw showing. Perhaps a throwback to his supposed Dingo blood?

Please don't ask me to post photos, as I haven't a clue how, however to get an idea, put 'Red Dog' into youtube as there was a film about a Kelpie. My boy is identical. Hope this essay has been of use to anyone else considering a Kelpie.

Last edited:

Moobli

Visit site
Fantastic. Can't wait for pics. Is he in Scotland?

Don't worry I will post pics (if I can manage it now there is no poobucket!). He is on the Welsh/Shropshire border but a farmer in Cumbria is having a pup too, so I am hoping he will bring my pup as far as his home and I will collect him from there.

Moobli

Visit site
Thanks MightyMax for the insight into your own dog. He sounds a delight - other than his lack of interest in sheep of course ;) My pup is coming from parents that work sheep and cattle and so I am hoping he will have the right work instincts and ethic. Your description of your dog's temperament does sound typical of the breed from what I have read.

I have the Red Dog film and love it.

Clodagh

Visit site
The two red clouds I knew in Australia were both stockmenas dogs. They were with their owners all day and slept in the swag with them at night, so Mightymax description of loyal sounds true. They turned their paw to anything and were on the go all day, they didn't really round up sheep in an organised manner. Tough as old boots, both of them... and the dogs too!

Moobli

Visit site
They sound like real characters Clodagh - men and dogs! :D I like the idea of having a hard as nails, go all day sort of a dog. My collies and WL GSD are full of energy and have good stamina, but I have a feeling that the kelpie will really outdo them all in terms of stamina.

Might need some help with a name and want something Aussie-related.

I like Aussie or Oz, but too common.
Sydney - Syd for short is a contender.
OH had a Bruce in the past so that is no go.
I quite like Rex but OH doesn't.

Clodagh

Visit site
One of the dog's was disembowelled by a kangaroo (not all that uncommon) and the man just pushed its guts back in and sewed it up. The vet wasn't really an option out in the outback, the dog made a full recovery but had an impressive scar. The only thing they really worried about was snakes - not so many of them in the Highlands, I don't suppose!?

I like Syd. Victoria Bitter is a popular beer over there - Vic?

Alec Swan

Visit site
OH had a wonderful Huntaway about 20 years ago but hasn't be persuaded back to one since ... especially when the assistant shepherd bought one and spent most of his time yelling at it to shut up :p

Yes, I can just imagine, I'm glad that I'm not the only one! :D The constant baleful barking would drive me round the bend! :D The one that I saw simply didn't stop!

Alec.

Clodagh

Visit site
Where a huntaway would be useful though - when the shepherd mumbles to his collie in a mountainous area and asks the collie to go and fetch the sheep 3 hills over and bring them back, with a collie you wouldn't know how he was getting on, but with a huntaway it would be like fitting him with GPS!

Moobli

Visit site
Where a huntaway would be useful though - when the shepherd mumbles to his collie in a mountainous area and asks the collie to go and fetch the sheep 3 hills over and bring them back, with a collie you wouldn't know how he was getting on, but with a huntaway it would be like fitting him with GPS!

Ha ha that's true!

Clodagh

Visit site
Have you been watching 'A Year on The Farm' it is on More4. We watched one last night (downloaded, not live) about sheep in the Lakes, Swaledales mainly. There was a fleeting glimpse of what I am sure was a kelpie, although the other dogs were nearly all your standard border collie. And for chicken people they had some nice silver laced wyandotte bantams, too.
It is a good program if anyone would like to see it, only four episodes I think, Norfolk Black turkeys was 1, a small organic Dairy Herd was 2, mixed smallholding in Wales 3 and then the Lakes.
Although it is aimed, obviously, at the general public it is not too dumb.

Moobli

Visit site
Have you been watching 'A Year on The Farm' it is on More4. We watched one last night (downloaded, not live) about sheep in the Lakes, Swaledales mainly. There was a fleeting glimpse of what I am sure was a kelpie, although the other dogs were nearly all your standard border collie. And for chicken people they had some nice silver laced wyandotte bantams, too.
It is a good program if anyone would like to see it, only four episodes I think, Norfolk Black turkeys was 1, a small organic Dairy Herd was 2, mixed smallholding in Wales 3 and then the Lakes.
Although it is aimed, obviously, at the general public it is not too dumb.

I watched the four programmes and really enjoyed it. Especially the Lakes one, as the farm is only 4 miles from where I was born and grew up. A lovely part of the country. I will have to watch it again (I recorded it) to see if I can spy a kelpie. I know a few Lakes shepherds who have the odd kelpie or huntaway, as well as the collies.

I am also really enjoying This Farming Life which is back for a second series.

Moobli

Visit site
Only a month to go. I am getting very excited :)

6rnceh.jpg

Moobli

Visit site
After discussion and debate .... he has been named Oz (or Ozzy). Not very original, but a good short name and we all like it. He will be home at the end of the month.

Not something I have done before, but thinking of getting some Indian Runner ducks so I can start his training a little earlier than on sheep.

154klmw.jpg

ealg1l.jpg

4q6jx2.jpg

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
😍😍😍
You do realise that you will need to do a blog type post so you can keep us updated and i can get a kelpie fix 😎

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh only just seen this thread - please please do some training updates. I used to have a kelpie, didn't work him, just enjoyed his batty persona :D
I trained him to do loads of wacky things though, he was great fun - a really bizarre combination of scared of his own shadow and phenomenally brave, daft as a brush but amazingly intelligent. All my other dogs have been terriers and it was an absolute delight to have a dog with perfect recall from 10 weeks old.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh no. Sorry to everyone who was looking forward to kelpie updates. After some serious thought and long discussions with my OH, I have decided against this litter. I was third in line for one of three boys and I really liked the two bold pups (and one in particular) but sod's law meant that the quiet boy was the one left. I tried to convince myself it would be okay but kept having niggling doubts. I let the breeder know as soon as I'd made my mind up so that she still had a few weeks to find an alternative home.

Clodagh

Visit site
Oh no. Sorry to everyone who was looking forward to kelpie updates. After some serious thought and long discussions with my OH, I have decided against this litter. I was third in line for one of three boys and I really liked the two bold pups (and one in particular) but sod's law meant that the quiet boy was the one left. I tried to convince myself it would be okay but kept having niggling doubts. I let the breeder know as soon as I'd made my mind up so that she still had a few weeks to find an alternative home.

That is a shame but you need to be delighted with the pup you have. Another one will be found soon, and we can all get our kelpie fix. :)

Moobli

Visit site
That is a shame but you need to be delighted with the pup you have. Another one will be found soon, and we can all get our kelpie fix. :)

Hmmm maybe. After deciding against this wee chap it has made me question whether I actually want another dog right now, and whether a kelpie is right for us as a working dog. I may just stick to my shepherds and work one or two of hubby's collies when need be.

We'll see.