Worst horse related injury...

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
What is your worst injury you've received being around/riding horses?

Mine is slipped discs in my back... 4 years on and it still gives me jip!

Horses are lucky we love them so much :D

twinkle

Visit site
abscess on my coccyx that was so big i had to have an op to have it drained then had to have it packed daily by a nurse to make it heal right was the worst pain ive ever been in just from a bad fall falling on the wrong spot!

Oldenburg

Visit site
Broken leg tib 2 places and fib in 1 place!! Broken toes and my horse bit the my finger and pulled his teeth down it that was horrible there was blood everywhere!!

Stacey6897

Visit site
Posterior shoulder dislocation, head of humerus got stuck behind scapula, 6 weeks in a 'I'm a little teapot' style bodycast, 9 months of physio, still not the same 9 years later

Got it from staying on, strategic dismount is much safer!

ecrozier

Visit site
Spiral fracture to tib and fib, 5 breaks in total. Shoulder dislocation and fracture at very top of humerus. Had various broken toes too!!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Oh goodness!
As child I could only ride every other week so, to get rides I would get on anything and believe me some ponies and horses were a larger learning curve than others! The curve usually being the arc I made when falling.

I have broken left collar bone four times right six. Concussed enough times to know when I am concussed. Right ankle, left leg, lower back in three places. Arms more times than I remember. Ribs on three occasions. Toes and fingers don't count anymore. LOL Had my teeth kicked out breaking my nose cheek and jaw.

Got to the point when my Dr used to ask "Kick, bite or a fall?"

Flicker

Visit site
Three broken ribs from being galloped over by one horse after being bucked off by another - don't ask... Various sprains, strains and bruises. Broken toe from friend's horse disco dancing on my foot.

Louby

Visit site
Somehow :eek: got my finger caught in the awful none buckle type headcollars, horse bolted, dragged me by my finger...dont laugh :D and pulled the end joint away from the rest of my finger. Had an op, pinned it back together and now fortunately works perfectly, just looks a bit odd!
Also damaged my coccyx years ago and had to sit on a rubber ring for weeks :(

Spiritedly

Visit site
On one occasion I broke 3 ribs, 1 twice, and my elbow, and on another spectacular occasion broke my pelvis,right tibia,2 ribs and my collarbone....my old TB reared up and over with me on onboard,then rolled on me 4 times trying to get up!

jeeve

Visit site
concussion more than one occasion, but two really bad times, once when I was 8 years old and lapsing in and out of conciousness. The second time in my 30's when I ended up in ICU for 5-6 days. Took me 2-3 weeks to walk and talk properly again. Was wearing a helmet both times.

Bridie&theMinis

Visit site
Oh goodness!
As child I could only ride every other week so, to get rides I would get on anything and believe me some ponies and horses were a larger learning curve than others! The curve usually being the arc I made when falling.

I have broken left collar bone four times right six. Concussed enough times to know when I am concussed. Right ankle, left leg, lower back in three places. Arms more times than I remember. Ribs on three occasions. Toes and fingers don't count anymore. LOL Had my teeth kicked out breaking my nose cheek and jaw.

Got to the point when my Dr used to ask "Kick, bite or a fall?"

gross - and you still ride I take it;)

kal40

Visit site
Crushed lower leg from trailer ramp landing on it. Broken tib which was fixed with a metal rod inside then followed up with 8 surgeries (mostly reconstructive plastic) to fix the flesh damage.

hunting mad

Visit site
Turning a horse out,and he reared up,pulled away and rope caught around my finger,im now minus that finger.
At the moment im in cast.Had surgery 12 weeks ago on my ankle from a kick.Fingers crossed my cast comes off today.

tinap

Visit site
Not me but the daughter, pony stumbled & fell on her while jumping, broke left hand & right collar bone. She got a lot of funny looks when she turned up for school with both arms in slings!!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Broken jaw at 14 years old after being kicked. Broken in 3 places and had to undergo facial reconstruction.

I am all plated up and although you have to look hard at me to see the damage, the inside of my mouth is a mess with scars etc

jennywren07

Visit site
Dislocated left kneed and large amounts of tissue damage to upper right arm Horse grabbed by arm over stable door and attempted to drag me in with him, i was lucky to get away with as little damage as i did especially as i was 13weeks preg at the time baby was fine to and is currently trying to help me type :rolleyes:

My knee took a long time to heal and it was 6months before i could weight bare, even now it doesn't bend properly

Inchy

Visit site
Broke left leg in 32 places, 4 broken ribs, 3 fractured cervical vertebrae, dislocated shoulder... All seperate occasions!

...Someone remind me why I do this?!

Swift08

Visit site
Mine was torn muscle, trapped nerve and severe bruising of the first rib when I was was chucked off into a ditch. Have however witnessed a compound fracture of an ankle which was awful to see, let alone actually have to endure! Friend snapped her upper arm when being thrown and has it plated. Think I have got off lightly!

hcm88

Visit site
Broken vertebrae when a little bugger of a youngster dumped me on concrete, probably my worst, yet it could have been so much worse I was extremely lucky. (Surprisingly similar to Tim's fall I've been told!)
Other than that various broken limbs, collar bone, ribs.... oh the joys of eventing!

I'm completely recovered and fine from all of them though, I've been v lucky in reality.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Despite some reasonably impressive dismounts, I've escaped with ony minor injuries thus far (fingers crossed).

However, I've spent the last few days whining about the most pathetic horse related injury ever - whacked my chin off pony's neck while playing horseball and slightly chipped and embedded one of my teeth slightly lower into the gum - it didn't hurt, but it's annoying the heck out of me as it feels "different" :eek:

Shutterbug

Visit site
I was dragged 60' by my last horse while I was fetching him from the field he bolted into when loading - he bolted again, my arm got caught in the lunge line - we used one to load him cause it was easier - and I got dragged head first along the yard leaving a rather impressive hole in my head - 7 surgeries over 4 years to repair the damage including scalp rotation surgery and tissue expanders placed under my scalp and stretched for 12 weeks which was extremely painful. Still have a few more sugeries to get but purely for cosmetic reasons to cover the small bald patch I still have on the back of my head. I'm lucky to be alive cause it almost killed me.

PitPony

Visit site
Whilst going to trot up my horse after she had been on box rest someone thought it was a good idea to whoop and holler behind us...she ran for it, the lunge line caught round my left middle finger, twisted it round and crushed it...the vet did his best on site!!
Then after a 3 hour op trying to save it and wearing a carbon fibre cage for 2 months it is permanently crooked, can't be bent and only has a slither of bone keeping it there! even the doctor gave up x-raying it saying it was too depressing...oh cheers!!!
Did dislocate my shoulder but this happened when getting up off the ground after being thrown by my bronco-ing mare...does that still count!!?
Also, had chunk taken out of my back which couldnt be stitched as too big...didn't even realise it until someone pointed out I had blood oozing out!!
But all in all...hey-ho...we do it for the love of it!! :)

Persephone

Visit site
I got bucked off onto a frozen furrow, tried to remount using frozen farrow as a mounting block and got thrown straight off again! Resulted in 3 broken ribs.

Got bolted with down the long side of a school, hitting the fence as we went. When the horse pulled away from the fence I bailed out, thought I had got away with it until I saw blood on my shirtsleeve,started to pull it up and arm had been degloved to the elbow. See, I wore long sleeves, did me no good though! The BP I was wearing was sliced through from left to right so I'm glad I had that on too. Dread to think how it could have ended.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I have had probably more than my fair share of injuries but this made me think and majority of them were either due to me playing silly beggars, taking things for granted or just plain carelessness.

First time I broke my wrist we were riding the school ponies to the fields bareback with just rope halters. As usual we had a sneaky canter along the field from the stables. I was riding and leading so, having seen a circus decided to stand on the two ponies quarters.
Anyone with any sense would have done this with the ponies standing and people at their heads but not me - the circus riders were doing it at a canter so why couldn't I?

I did it for about 50 yards and then the ponies went in different directions. I fell between them and held on breaking my wrist as I did so.

I can only think of a couple of incidents when I busted something, in one my leg, when it was 'one of those things'
A neighbour rescued a Border Collie, which would dart out of the end of their garden onto the bridle path as the horses went by. First time it did this my horse jumped to the side and my leg hit a blackthorn tree breaking it. Next day the same thing happened to another rider and again on the third day.

It was quite a sight to see three people on crutches carrying a chainsaw and felling the tree!

It never ever put me off riding. Injuries were part of the game.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Wowzers!!

Some of the injuries you guys have had! I have been incredibly lucky, and to date have had nothing beyond being stood on my thigh, (just a bruise) and getting kicked in my forearm (just a bruise again). You guys all deserve medals for still riding!!! :) :)