Worst part of horses?

Tayto

Visit site
Thought of another one - I hate that there are never enough hours in a day! Between working full time and spending every other waking moment with my horse I am surprised my partner has not ditched me for another woman! Ha!

RunToEarth

Visit site
This at competitions:

This when it's cold:

and this every single day of the year...

544_99254005437_6272_n.jpg

Worry constantly about losing them or them injuring themselves, old horse managed to combine two in one on that last one :eek:

3OldPonies

Visit site
Another vote for mud, especially on rug buckles and behind my boyz ears. :(

Also the worry about them being too fat, too thin, lami on the horizon, sweet itch, whether to rug up or not and if so how many rugs to put on, whether the mini will go under or through the electric fence, how to pay the bills, nagging from OH about my smelly boots and the trail of hay through the house and my current absolute top hate - having to bring my horsey gear to work and changing every evening in the loo just because my company decided to move premises to another town :(:mad:.

But despite all of that I love my boyz to bits and life just wouldn't be the same without them. :)

Amicus

Visit site
544_99254005437_6272_n.jpg

Worry constantly about losing them or them injuring themselves, old horse managed to combine two in one on that last one :eek:

Can we have story time, did he get in from the other side of the wall?
Impressed. ;)

Mongoose11

Visit site
The worst thing for me is having to work and sleep which wastes valuble time that could be spent with them :D

This ^^^^^

I have honestly thought about giving up my mare so that I can focus on other areas of my life before they pass me by. When with friends or at work or basically when I am doing anything other than being at the yard I just want whatever it is to be over so that I can be at the yard. Spend most of my time being restless for the next visit :p

Daisy2

Visit site
I agree with nealry all of the posts at one time or another but the one thing that gets me, luckily only now and again, is the exhaustion due to an overriding drive to make sure they are well fed, watered, groomed, ridden, cleaned etc and most of the time during severe weather and being at war with the elements. However its always such a good feeling once completed and then we do it all over again the next day and the next and....the.. zzzzzz. Oh and its now soaking hay season so lugging soaking dripping heavy hay and getting completely soaked myself in the process. But I certainly would not change it, my life would be totally boring and then I would have no excuse to watch some silly TV while I chill out...Love Jonathan Creek

Landcruiser

Visit site
The guilt. My horses are ME time, and they cost money that could be spent on stuff for the kids, the house, holidays....there's only me interested, my OH resents the time, the money...so the guilt is the worst part for me.

AprilBlue

Visit site
the cost, the mud, and probably for me the worst one is when your horse is moulting and you've just bought a new fleece and stupidly put it on him and the next day its all hairy and muddy:rolleyes::p:(

jjflash

Visit site
Struggling to afford winter costs on top of tonnes of exam revision, coursework and searching endlessly for a job! Oh and the many narrow-minded, judgemental and authoritarian characters that you meet along the way.

you just have to laugh and get on with it:p wouldn't have it any other way, it's taught me alot so I don't see it as a negative anymore (so much anyway!) :eek:

RunToEarth

Visit site
Can we have story time, did he get in from the other side of the wall?
Impressed. ;)

he decided is 23 acre field of rich dairy pasture didn't look quite as goof as 12 acres of roughland, so he meant on the wall until he pushed it down, and then walked along the gap until he got stuck. He had to be cut out, which didn't go well as dad only put fencing up two days previous. Luckily his wounds were superficial thanks to the rug and him being sensible. It was incredibly worrying when I found him but looking at that photo now I can laugh out loud. Horses - pain in the bottom.

D66

Visit site
The mud and the cold and lugging heavy hay nets and dirty, smelly rugs around in the dark, and having to get up early in the winter before work.

And then I think of the "nice" women in the office, with their heels and handbags and black cardigans unsullied by bits of hay, and I think to myself "they don't know how to enjoy themselves".:confused::cool::rolleyes:

Mongoose11

Visit site
I am experiencing one of the worst parts of owning horses RIGHT NOW! The worry. Got down to yard to give late hay, mare wickers as usual - dump hay in, put light rug on and work my way round the yard to give the others their supper. Go back to box and stick head over and she is laying down, flat out grunting. Rush in, try and encourage her up and she is not having it. I have never ever caught her laying down except when needing a vet! Rushed to car to get my phone and by the time I got back she was up, circling, crumpling legs, almost going down but not. Strained for a poo for a long long time, did about a half load. Have got her out and walked her for about 15 minutes and put her back in to poo (creature of habit - she won't just do it anywhere. Have given her a little bran (I know, I know) and now she is nibbling her hay and seems brighter. Now going to sit and watch for another half an hour.

She ALWAYS waits until I arrive to go down, it's been the same each time.

Haven't had a sign of this for a long time and I thought it was long past us but it seems her tummy is suffering from the little green shoots.

We must be mad!