Would you be upset ?

jehsb

Visit site
So yesterday i had the misfortune of breaking down on the way to a team competition. I messaged/emailed and tried the call the team manager straight away to let them know i wouldn't be able to attend. They didn't see my messages until much later in the day and well after my allocated times to be competing, but it made me think, am i right to be a bit miffed that no one even bothered to contact me to see if we were ok, they just presumed I hadn't bothered turning up ?

paddi22

Visit site
why would you expect a show official to follow up to see if you were ok? I help organise events and you get tons of last minute cancellations due to lameness, losing shoes, horses not loading, flat batteries, illness, family bereavement etc. there is absolutely no way you can ring them all on the day to see if they are ok. You are so busy on the day following up on queries, filling in roles etc that there isn't the time, and to be honest I wouldn't see the point of doing it. a lot of running events on the day is prioritising urgent tasks. sorry to be harsh but ringing someone to hear about their truck breaking down or their horse not loading isn't a priority.

On a wider note it would be great if some sections of competitors had a greater empathy for the effort and work it takes to run any event. I can absolutely guarantee if you had ever volunteered on a committee to run an event, you would never have posted your query;)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yeah I'd be a bit miffed but knowing how busy and hectic the days can be I can also understand why you didnt get a welfare call.

Maybe something you can implement for the club?

Muddywellies

Visit site
I do appreciate the work that goes into running competitions, it was not the show officials i was upset about not hearing from, rather my fellow club/team members just thinking i hadn't turned up.
To turn this around, although it was totally not your fault, do you feel guilty for not showing up and have you apologised profusely?

Widgeon

Visit site
I do think a quick call would have been nice though.

Agreed, I probably would be slightly hurt not to even get a message back - presumably these are people you're on good terms with. I'd let it go though, I'm not sure it's worth making a big (or even small) deal out of it. Presumably they were all busy. They might have meant to reply but never got round to it. They surely must have at least read your message, otherwise it's very strange that they'd be one member down and not try to find out why.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Of course I do and have, i was absolutely gutted to not have been able to go.
Well then I wouldn't worry. As mentioned above I'm sure they saw your messages. These things do happen but they would have just been too busy to respond OR each of them thought the other had replied to you. No harm done either way.

Birker2020

Visit site
I didn't take OP to mean the show organiser should have called. but if you are in a team and one of your team doesn't show, yes i would expect someone to call to at least find out if you were on your way but just delayed, or bailing on the whole thing.
Edited, already mentioned.

jehsb

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I know I am probably being a bit over sensitive about it but it turned out to be a horrible day and I was mostly upset that people would have thought I just hadn't turned up.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I know I am probably being a bit over sensitive about it but it turned out to be a horrible day and I was mostly upset that people would have thought I just hadn't turned up.
You have every right to be upset. I would have thought someone could have given you the dignity of a text to ask if you were okay, or even a "have you forgotten?" would have been better than nothing at all. They don't have much 'team spirit', if I were you I'd not bother with them again.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I would be very disappointed in that, and it's not a team I would want to compete with in future. It's really seriously odd to have a team of, what, 4, and nobody contact one who is missing. Did they all assume someone else had done it, I wonder?
Sounds like they're a bunch of ill-mannered, self-centred, selfish people to me. Thesaurus taking a bashing this morning ;)

SEL

Visit site
I would be very disappointed in that, and it's not a team I would want to compete with in future. It's really seriously odd to have a team of, what, 4, and nobody contact one who is missing. Did they all assume someone else had done it, I wonder?

Surely you'd have said amongst yourselves - has anyone heard from jehsb? And then maybe one person would check their phone. Weird!!

Plus if I was on a team I'd be annoyed enough to call you if I thought you'd just done a no-show!

Leandy

Visit site
Yes I would have been upset that no-one had cared enough to try to contact me to check I was alright and especially annoyed if they thought I was flaky enough just not to show up! Certainly in our pony club in that situation the team organiser would have been contacting you to check what was going on, and would have sent help if you needed it if they could. So how did the conversation go when you did make contact? Perhaps they had all been there a bit miffed that you hadn't bothered to let them know you wouldn't be there. They weren't to know you were trying to contact them if the messages hadn't got through. Overall though, I'd expect the team manager to be trying to contact you yes. That sort of thing is what a team manager is for!

Annagain

Visit site
I do a lot of organising for my club but can't always get to competitions to support / organise the teams on the day. Sometimes a new member joins a team and doesn't know anyone else yet. If that's the case, I make sure they all have each other's competitor numbers and phone numbers (if they consent) so they can arrange to meet up and create a bit of a team bond and I ask a more experienced member to 'look after' the new one. Even if they didn't have your number and I wasn't there I'd be very disappointed if they didn't contact me (or another one of the committee) to let me know you hadn't turned up. As soon as I knew, I'd phone to check if you were ok.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
They may have seen your message - if I get messages on whatsapp/facebook messenger etc you can pull the notification at the top of my phone screen down to read the first few lines of it without it showing as 'read' on the actual app. I tend to do this when I'm in a rush and need to get the gist quickly - which I'd imagine your team mates would have needed to? I'd be miffed about not getting an eventual response to make sure I was ok/sorted though!