Would you buy another horse after your current horse is Pts

BBP

Visit site
I think so. I have my own place at long last with a perfect set up. But it would take a pretty special horse to take BBPs place. It has to have all the things I love about him without the same challenges. I saw an Arab that grabbed my attention before Christmas. For me riding is very much about a lifelong connection, so I can’t just get one with the thought I can always sell it on, so it’s a really big deal to me.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm in the 'couldn't be without a horse or 4' camp.

I personally could only PTS on welfare grounds not can't do the job/ be ridden grounds. (No judgement just my own personal decision) so I've already got 2 fairly young retired horses. One on loan thankfully. So I may end up with a field of sick notes one day and no ridden horse. But hope not as the joy/buzz of competing is massively important to me. I'm nowhere near done with that! Im just getting started!!

Spotherisk

Visit site
My riding horse was PTS a year ago aged 10 and now I have a retired rising 29 year old and his companion, both at home. I started looking for another before Tinner was PTS and was loaned a mare but it did not work out at all (not anyone’s fault, just circumstances). Since then I have window shopped but not seen one horse I would want to ride (or could afford on COVID prices!) and so I really don’t know.

When lockdown lifts I will start riding at a riding school, maybe lessons, maybe hacks. It would be nice to rediscover my love of riding, but I have no idea if another horse will find me.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mr Y on the other hand knows that for him to even hint at such a thing would shorten his life expectancy dramatically ?

LOL, I have said that the next horse will be one who would fit into livery. That was the idea this time too TBH, but I'm not sure Riggers would fit into livery with his no grass, needs daily arena turnout, needs soaked hay etc etc lifestyle!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought my successor to my oldie (now 26) 2 and a half years ago. It’s been good because I’ve got past the new horse issues whilst I still have the comfort of my oldie. I’ve found I really like having the two together and would like to get another when he passes although financially I’d be better off with just the one. So I’ll have to see when the time comes what I feel and what comes my way.

Griffin

Visit site
I hope my mare will be around for at least another 15 years or more.

I think I would get another horse but I would be less bothered about whether it could be ridden if that makes sense? I quite like the idea of a little 12hh from a rescue that could just be a pet!

PSD

Visit site
My mare was pts last may, I had already put a deposit on my current horse before she got really poorly. I had always planned to have another, younger horse to do the things my girl couldn’t do (mostly workers/jumping, she was a part bred so I was out of a class due to my age and her height.)

however 2 days after my 2 year old came (a lot later than planned thanks to covid) my mare was put to sleep. I’m so grateful I had my 2 year old to “distract” me. However I’m now questioning whether I should have waited and bought something older, as I’m getting no enjoyment out of it at the minute.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
No. Currently have 5.... as they go they go and will not get replaced. I know its difficult at the moment with c 19 but to have to run my life round a time slot defeated the point of being on full livery. I pay a fortune to be able to ride but to be leaving a yard at 8pm have an 45 min to an hour run home to then have to cook something and then go to bed has finally made me wake up and say what's the point. None of mine are now in sufficient work due to slot allocation and I dont want to tack up and rush my training. It's awful feel like selling up. X

BBP

Visit site
My worry is I will have forgotten how to ride by the time bbp goes, given I haven’t ridden him since may. And I just don’t want to ride something else just for the sake of it. So although I was pretty competent with him as he’s a feisty little thing, I’m not as young as I used to be and might lose all my skills by the time another comes around. Especially as I’m hoping he will last at least another 10-15 years in retirement. So maybe in that case my answer will be no!

Littlewills

Visit site
This is how I feel, it's only needing to pay for the horses that makes work tolerable too.

This. Both mine went away on holiday for a month and I spent a lot of time and money redecorating my house. When that was done my mental health just nose dived. It was a really horrible time. I live in fear of the day I can no longer physically manage to own horses and keep them the way I want to.

EventingMum

Visit site
No, I've consciously not got another horse for myself. I had my last one pts last year when he turned out to be a wobbler and it became unsafe to handle him. I had hoped he would last for many years but it wasn't to be. My health makes committing to riding regularly impossible and there's no point in keeping a horse to pick up and put down - generally, the type I like wouldn't take kindly to that. I technically still own 12 horses and ponies through my RS business and get plenty of interaction with them and teaching people on their own horses but the days of keeping a horse just for myself have passed sadly.

EllenJay

Visit site
I honestly can't say. I retired my old boy due to his health issues, sold everything, and said "that was it", However, two years later I ended up with a loan horse who I subsequently brought. He is now 21 and suits me - but when he goes, who knows. Horses have been in my life for 55 years. Am I ready to walk away? I don't know

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I’m leaning towards no. I’ve got a retired 23 year old and a semi retired 18 year old that I don’t ride enough now! I’m now in my early 50s and changed to a much less well paid job this year. I’m also spending a fortune on regular drug vets bills nowadays. I’m starting to realise that I’d barely need to work if I didn’t have horses. Plus I’ve hated this winter (first full winter I’ve been at home for in decades!). My 23 year old is my horse of a lifetime and I honestly don’t think I’d ever find another horse I’d enjoy as much. My plan is to offer someone with a nice horse a free stable on my yard if I can ride it once or twice a week! I’m an instructor, so it’s hopefully an attractive offer for someone.

Lurfy

Visit site
No. When my 20 year old goes, I won't get another. I have had horses my whole life and am 57 this year. I have had a no replacement policy for years now as my other horses have passed away. I have them for for life and find the loss quite devastating. I won't put myself through it again.

I have young grandchildren now, the eldest who is 2 is mad keen on our old TB and a shettie at our agistment. It is quite possible as she grows older her parents will go down the pony route so I will happily be involved there.

Billyandme

Visit site
I had to have my horse pts last May. He was 19 and had a myriad of medical problems and was costing a small fortune to keep even on DIY. The last straw was a totally unnecessary accident with him which resulted in me breaking my ankle and surgery. Was just getting through all the associated pain and grief when my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I would never have been able to cope this Winter with horse chores, hospital appointments and husband who is struggling mentally and physically with his diagnosis. It's the pits for me as I have had horses for over 30 years.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I've got two currently - if my older semi-retired one had to be PTS then I'd just stick to the one. If the youngster had to be PTS then I'd get another. If something happened to her that meant she had to retire but not be PTS (as realistically I won't PTS just because they can't event etc, I'm too soft) then I think I'd put her in foal.

wispagold

Visit site
I unexpectedly had to have my 17yr old pts 18 months ago. At the time my first child was 4 months old and it just didn't seem like a sensible idea to get another. I have to say I didn't realise how much it has been a weight off my mind not having an accident prone horse to worry about. I'm now due my 2nd baby in 7 weeks time so definitely not got another horse on the cards for a few years.

I'm lucky to have friends with horses so had a lovely summer riding in the evenings. My toddler also loves horses and is totally fearless so I'm really hoping we end up with ponies... My OH is far less keen ?

Louby

Visit site
My beloved young mare was pts in January, Id said I wasnt having another when I was tagged in her advert 4 yrs ago but despite the heartache I wouldnt have changed her for the world. I did half own the companion baby Highland that my friend and I bought as we needed a 3rd horse, so our girls were never alone and despite not wanting to as its felt so raw, Ive still had to go up to the yard to help with his jobs.
Id been undecided whether to have another, its still very early days and its been a hellish 2 yrs of things constantly going wrong, stress, worry and basically Id had enough of horses but I do believe horses are in your blood and Im not sure Id know what to do with myself without one. So despite the Highland being the total opposite of my sleek, leggy but high maintenance Sport Horse, I had a moment of madness and the fluffy teddy bear is now soley mine. Hes only 3 in June, Im not getting any younger but I have to say Im looking forward to hopefully having some fun. Im hoping that him being hardier will help and that I get used to his little stumpy legs lol!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
No. When my 20 year old retiree goes, that will be it - he is the Last Horse. I've had many, many horses for most of the last 55 years and I will go travelling and enjoying myself without the ties. As I won't have a horse, I won't need a farm and stables, so that will be sold too. Lots of things have changed completely in the last 18 months: it is time.

Last edited:

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I have and would again.

Lost my "heart horse" at 11 years old after a colic surgery and a month in the hospital due to complications. After weeks of ups and downs (the downs were discussions of euthanasia), I swore I was done with horses if he didn't make it. I was exhausted and tired of getting my heart broken, as I had lost my first mare to colic years before.

I ended up having to put him down after another colic episode and once the emotional rollercoaster was over, I knew I'd own another, eventually. Sig dropped in my lap when I wasn't looking only a few weeks later. One day he'll break my heart too, but for now I wouldn't want life without him. Worth it for me, horses are my life.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine is 19, has very bad arthritis, but is doing very well on danilon. I haven’t ridden since the accident and I have lost my brave pants entirely. I really like having a horse, but there is no pressure to ride because he’s retired. I just can’t decide. I fell in love with a dope on a rope warmblood last year, but I don’t want two horses. I think I’ll have to wait and see. The thought of no longer having this horse is extremely emotional.

JoannaC

Visit site
No i'm questioning if I want a horse now at all so definitely won't replace although of course it is Winter and i've hardly ridden so no doubt my answer would be different in the Summer! Although Georgie is only 9 this year so she should see me through to the end and I doubt i'd get another one if anything happened to her as I'm definitely not as keen as I used to be.