Would you consider buying this horse?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I've had the opportunity to ride a horse next to my yard who the owner wants to sell due to time and money.

He wasn't what I was looking for at all however. I was looking at 14.2hh max forester style pony.
He is a 15.3hh mid-weight cob, extremely sweet and just happy with life. I've hacked him alone and in company, he is so lovely. Can look at things on his own but nothing stupid like my mare was, off the leg mostly unless he is trying to be a piggy but not fast which is nice change. I just instantly felt safe on him. He is 13 which is also 3 years over my maximum age to what I was looking for and he does have the lightest little click on each step coming from the back end in walk but he is sound. Also piebald and more hair than I'd ever have looked at too!

He also eats an awful lot so there would probably be no grass all year round in my two acres. I'm also sure he'd get on with my mare as he is already bottom of the pecking order so that is a plus.

He would be 3.5k with tack and rugs.

Would you consider this or am I viewing through rose tinted glasses?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I’d bite the sellers hand off for him.

I honestly can't explain how he made me feel. I braved it and just took him out first time on my own. Seller left the tack for me and left me to it and off we went. I felt so safe, I felt like he would look after me.
He is such a happy soul.
I'm worried that perhaps once I have my confidence back, maybe I'd be bored but he is the nicest person.
We had stampedes pass us today and didn't bat an eyelid.
If he looks at something, he doesn't really move, just looks and you tell him it's okay and he plods on. Completely happy go lucky sort.
I was laughing and smiling the whole time on him on my first ride, his entire body moves in canter, he feels like a rocking horse.
I was in love within 10 minutes ?

maisie06

Visit site
I've had the opportunity to ride a horse next to my yard who the owner wants to sell due to time and money.

He wasn't what I was looking for at all however. I was looking at 14.2hh max forester style pony.
He is a 15.3hh mid-weight cob, extremely sweet and just happy with life. I've hacked him alone and in company, he is so lovely. Can look at things on his own but nothing stupid like my mare was, off the leg mostly unless he is trying to be a piggy but not fast which is nice change. I just instantly felt safe on him. He is 13 which is also 3 years over my maximum age to what I was looking for and he does have the lightest little click on each step coming from the back end in walk but he is sound. Also piebald and more hair than I'd ever have looked at too!

He also eats an awful lot so there would probably be no grass all year round in my two acres. I'm also sure he'd get on with my mare as he is already bottom of the pecking order so that is a plus.

He would be 3.5k with tack and rugs.

Would you consider this or am I viewing through rose tinted glasses?

You would be mad not to!!!

Griffin

Visit site
I would buy him, he sounds lovely.

My mare is not at all what I set out to buy (she was a mare for a start) but I just knew inside that she was the right one for me and I was the right owner/servant for her. She had a few question marks about soundness when I bought her but barring field injuries, she has been fine (I just have her on a joint supplement).

Reacher

Visit site
I honestly can't explain how he made me feel. I braved it and just took him out first time on my own. Seller left the tack for me and left me to it and off we went. I felt so safe, I felt like he would look after me.
He is such a happy soul.
I'm worried that perhaps once I have my confidence back, maybe I'd be bored but he is the nicest person.
We had stampedes pass us today and didn't bat an eyelid.
If he looks at something, he doesn't really move, just looks and you tell him it's okay and he plods on. Completely happy go lucky sort.
I was laughing and smiling the whole time on him on my first ride, his entire body moves in canter, he feels like a rocking horse.
I was in love within 10 minutes ?
From what you said here I’d buy him

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
If he is everything you say then in a few years time if you are ready to move on then he shouldn't be hard to sell. If he made you feel safe and happy you would be mental not to.

This^^

The advantage with a really safe quiet hack is if they do turn out to have a few health niggles (or develop them later) you aren't stuck if you want to do more in the future, they can usually still find a good home and do a good job for someone.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I am worried he wouldn't pass with his clicking but he is a lovely mover!
If it helps, for what you want to do, as long as he is sound I would have no issues passing him on a vetting. The clicking would be mentioned on the certificate, but certainly not a reason to fail if everything else checks out.

And also, it sounds like he is perfect for you and you “click” with each other. That feeling is my most important factor when considering a horse to buy!! (Possibly why I’ve never bought anything that fits most of my criteria, but I have no regrets)

Ellietotz

Visit site
If he is everything you say then in a few years time if you are ready to move on then he shouldn't be hard to sell. If he made you feel safe and happy you would be mental not to.

Do you think he would sell easily if he was 17+ if that happened? He really is safe and lovely, not a kick along at all. Doesn't buck, rear or bolt. Honestly can't explain what a happy sweet boy he is.

My list for the type I was looking for was:

- 14.2hh max, nothing chunkier than a welsh D, new forest type with little feather.
- No older than 10
- Hacks alone and in company
- No sharp spooking, bucking, bolting, rearing. Napping is okay providing it isn't dangerous.
- Non dominant gelding ideally or mare if right.
- Has the capacity to jump a little bit like logs out hacking really.
- Not a kick along, has to be willing to go forwards.

Ideal thing would be a lovely bay new forest type with a white stripe. Piebald is probably my least favourite!

He is:

- Piebald
- 15.3hh
- 13 years old
- Hacks alone and in company. Not competitive in the slightest, happy in front, next to or at the back. Canters next to others with no care in the world.
- Not sharp or nappy, no bolting, rearing, bucking or silly behaviour. Not phased by stampedes, hidden humans and dogs or anything really! Can look at things but you don't really know he is!
- Non dominant gelding
- Not a kick along unless he is trying to stop for snacks! Once out, he has a lovely forward ploddy walk, trot and canter.
- Not too hairy like a gypsy cob type.
- Comes with made to fit saddle and all his tack and rugs.
- Plus side that he already has met my mare several times being next door too!

Don't know about jumping myself but have seen videos of him popping a little log.

His personality really has won me over though.

ETA: Snaffle mouthed and not strong too!

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I am worried he wouldn't pass with his clicking but he is a lovely mover!

One of my friends clicked, passed a 5 stage vet no problem.

Vet said it was somtjing to do with air pockets and joints, can't fully remember but people get it too

I would buy. In five years time he would be ready to slow down and the. Hopefully you will be ready for more.

But he is a bargain and the seller can easily ask double in the current market and he would be worth it no problem.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
someone who wants a safe happy hacker would want him if you decide you want to progress further, but you have fallen for him and the safe feeling is priceless. many ordinary cobs can improve with a bit of proper training and you may find that he will have enough potential for you if you have regular lessons. he sounds gorgeous, photos please when you have bought him :):) but do have him vetted first

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Feeling safe when you ride out is what everyone wants. To be wondering when a horse is going to play up, and waiting for bad things to happen, you should not have that with the horse you buy. People would buy the horse you are looking at all day, they are what the majority of potential buyers want. Thirteen years old is not old in the style of horse he is. At his age he will have had plenty of schooling, have manners & will be ready to go. He's been there, done that & build the factory that makes the tee shirts. If you decide not to have him send me details as I would buy him in a flash as would most people on this forum. Go for it girl, you know you want to.