Would you consider buying this horse?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Do you think he would sell easily if he was 17+ if that happened? He really is safe and lovely, not a kick along at all. Doesn't buck, rear or bolt. Honestly can't explain what a happy sweet boy he is.

My list for the type I was looking for was:

- 14.2hh max, nothing chunkier than a welsh D, new forest type with little feather.
- No older than 10
- Hacks alone and in company
- No sharp spooking, bucking, bolting, rearing. Napping is okay providing it isn't dangerous.
- Non dominant gelding ideally or mare if right.
- Has the capacity to jump a little bit like logs out hacking really.
- Not a kick along, has to be willing to go forwards.

Ideal thing would be a lovely bay new forest type with a white stripe. Piebald is probably my least favourite!

He is:

- Piebald
- 15.3hh
- 13 years old
- Hacks alone and in company. Not competitive in the slightest, happy in front, next to or at the back. Canters next to others with no care in the world.
- Not sharp or nappy, no bolting, rearing, bucking or silly behaviour. Not phased by stampedes, hidden humans and dogs or anything really! Can look at things but you don't really know he is!
- Non dominant gelding
- Not a kick along unless he is trying to stop for snacks! Once out, he has a lovely forward ploddy walk, trot and canter.
- Not too hairy like a gypsy cob type.
- Comes with made to fit saddle and all his tack and rugs.
- Plus side that he already has met my mare several times being next door too!

Don't know about jumping myself but have seen videos of him popping a little log.

His personality really has won me over though.

ETA: Snaffle mouthed and not strong too!

Apart from being a bit bigger than your ideal, he ticks all your boxes as far as I can see. I don't know why you are hesitant! What is it that you might want to do that you think he can't/won't do?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Well no BUT she is thinking about selling his hunter twin as well! 11 years old, 16.2hh (I think), also hacks alone and in company without excitement. Essentially, he is exactly the same but a bit more athletic!

ETA: I only personally like this one as he has a sweet happy go lucky personality. The other one has more like a working vibe, more dominant in the field and definitely the boss.

If she does decide to sell his hunter twin would you be able to PM me details please? We’re not actively looking but have a stable to fill and ideally would like to find something safe enough for my ballsy but novice husband to have the occasional sit on while also being a more fun/slightly less neurotic hack than my divas for me.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Follow your heart; but pause just a while to get him vetted before you commit yourself.

I went horse-shopping five years ago now. Had a list of everything I said I "didn't want", i.e. youngster, hairy-with-feathers, mare, coloured, pony - and guess what I brought home!! Best thing I ever did.

So yep, I would say this horse sounds ideal and I very much suspect that he has "found" you; but I really would suggest you get a vetting before you commit yourself. Don't delay though as he sounds the type that will fly off the shelf!

Ellietotz

Visit site
If she does decide to sell his hunter twin would you be able to PM me details please? We’re not actively looking but have a stable to fill and ideally would like to find something safe enough for my ballsy but novice husband to have the occasional sit on while also being a more fun/slightly less neurotic hack than my divas for me.

Of course! Pop me a PM and I'll start a queue ?

Nicnac

Visit site
Why are you asking? Seriously he sounds perfect for you. Yes he's a little bigger and a smidge older but ticks every other one of your boxes and more. You've been able to ride him and he makes you smile. You wouldn't get the same opportunity if you were buying from somewhere else. He's also really cheap in today's market!

EventingMum

Visit site
I have one that clicked as a 5yo but still passed a 5 stage vetting to event which she duly went on and did successfully, she's now 21, sound as a pound and has never had a lame day in her life! He sounds just like what I'm on the lookout for just now and struggling to find, I'd definitely buy him!

Surbie

Visit site
He sounds ace. I would be on the phone to the vets before someone else discovers he's for sale. You're on the lookout for another so you must have thought through whether you could manage two - this one's just a little bit bigger.

As an aside, half the RDAs in the country are looking for a horse like that too...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
A friend has just done this after losing her horse. She’s bought one off someone else on the yard who wasn’t even thinking of selling. He’s a known quantity and makes her feel safe. A couple of weeks in and already really enjoying him and doing way more than she could on her old horse partly due to physical issues but also he was much more unpredictable.

I’d absolutely go for it.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Okay so here are my doubts currently:

- As he is bigger than I'd planned on looking at, he would require a lot more hay during winter which I worry I won't have enough storage space for and I do only have two acres, currently my mare and the donkeys have too much grass but I think with him, they'd have to have the whole lot so there would be no resting fields and possibly even require hay in summer too. He eats an awful lot.
- I'm only 5ft2 and I cannot seem to get away from his back enough in canter without going really far forwards to stop the saddle hitting me in the bum unless I just sit to it. If I shorten my stirrups more, I'd be riding like a jockey. He is very wide.
- He is very attached to his field mate and he was bloody rude today while his mate was out being ridden. He doesn't have a lot of manners and was trying to nip because he was agitated. Not a huge issue as I can teach him manners and he may need a dually headcollar or something similar as he gets very pully for grass etc. This doesn't bother me much but it is a bit irritating. He has been taught habits of grazing while riding too which is annoying but again, something that can be sorted.
- When his mate came back, I could finally tack up and take him out but he whinnied for him the whole ride, not sure if he was tired after galloping around the field waiting for his friend to come home or not but it was hard work just doing a short ride today.
- If I buy him, he will literally be in the field just down from his friend and I'm not sure how well he would cope.
- I have heard the owner has said she wants to sell for years and cancelled people last minute so I am concerned paying for a vetting and losing the money if she changes her mind.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
My gut reaction that i never got round to posting was that he is so much bigger than you were looking for that you should keep looking. It's still my gut reaction.

Yep, ditto. Appreciate that it is going against the grain of this thread and temperament-wise he might be perfect, but buying a horse that doesn't suit you physiologically for hacking is a mistake ime. Also a kickalong type for hacking gets old really quickly if that's not the sort of type that you actively enjoy.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Don't buy him. He's clearly not the horse for you. You will eventually find a better one, that fully fits your needs.

Now take a second to analyze, how my words make you feel. Relieved? Then, really, don't buy him. Anxious, robbed, longing to claim him yours, worried that your life won't be the same if you let go of this opportunity? Then, perhaps, consider him after all. He might be the one.

By the way, I'm only 5ft3 and I ride a 16.3hh mammoth with a truly wide back. You get used to it, and I ride with long dressage stirrups, but canter in a half seat does not make me being hit by the saddle.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Yep, ditto. Appreciate that it is going against the grain of this thread and temperament-wise he might be perfect, but buying a horse that doesn't suit you physiologically for hacking is a mistake ime. Also a kickalong type for hacking gets old really quickly if that's not the sort of type that you actively enjoy.

Yes, agree with you and YCBM. He is like doing the splits compared to my mare. Height wise is somewhat okay but it's almost the width of him that is the issue. My stirrups are pretty much jumping length at the moment and when he canters, I physically cannot get out the saddle enough and I don't like the fact I'm banging on his back so I end up sitting or going really far forwards.
He is responsive which is nice but maybe I got him on a good day on Friday. He was so lazy today it was kind of painful as much as I didn't want to admit that to myself. He just kept calling and pulling towards home.

Even though my mare was sharp and could be quick when she went for it, I found her slowness wandering out boring too. Perhaps it was just a nice change and my glasses became too rose tinted.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Don't buy him. He's clearly not the horse for you. You will eventually find a better one, that fully fits your needs.

Now take a second to analyze, how my words make you feel. Relieved? Then, really, don't buy him. Anxious, robbed, longing to claim him yours, worried that your life won't be the same if you let go of this opportunity? Then, perhaps, consider him after all. He might be the one.

By the way, I'm only 5ft3 and I ride a 16.3hh mammoth with a truly wide back. You get used to it, and I ride with long dressage stirrups, but canter in a half seat does not make me being hit by the saddle.

It's hard to say really. I think if someone else came along and said they wanted him, I'd accept it and feel a little gutted but deep down know it is probably the right thing. Though over the weekend, before today's ride, the owner said someone else might want him and it did upset me so I don't know really.

I have ridden 16.2hh Irish sport type horses with no issues coming away from their back but with him, it's like his body moves so much that his back meets me even if I'm stood right up. I've also ridden traditional type cobs at 14.2hh with no issues either. His saddle is very deep seated and possibly a bit narrow too as it is quite uphill so that might not be helping.

Ellietotz

Visit site
You are saying how great he is and then coming up with excuses for not buying him. This tells me that you don’t really think he’s the one. Go try some more and if he’s still for sale you can re-think.

Before I rode him today, the last two rides were great and I was pretty set on him. Today's ride was somewhat frustrating, with the constant calling and pulling towards home, he was a lot slower. I still think he is really sweet and I love just being with him. I love being on him too, he is so comfy and I do just feel so safe.
I don't know if today's ride was just a blip and he is tired but I'm guessing that is a gamble anyone takes when buying a horse because how do you know after one ride what they will be like!
It is mainly the space I have that is a worry with a horse of his size, limited hay storage and of course, having two. In an ideal world, I'd just have the one!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think from your latest post listing your doubts he might not be quite so perfect for you as I previously thought.

The only thing I will say, I am only 5'4" and my horse (admittedly haven't ridden since accident and wont again until hips replaced) is 17.3 and built like a tank. After initially feeling like he was far too wide for me and struggling with his action, after a few rides I settled into it and with a change of saddle I found him so comfortable and seemed to be able to sit much deeper in the saddle, when my saddler had sorted us out.

The right saddle can make so much difference to how you can actually ride a broader a horse I think, especially the big ones. Are you happy with the saddle you were riding in?

As for space for an extra one, I have a good few acres but in the summer both my horses and my two donkeys are only on 3.5 acres of it which I rotate into 3 paddocks - he is a big eater but also a very good doer, so the limited grazing suits him and the others. I do occasionally chuck a bit of hay in with them if we have had very little growth due to drought (not often here in Ireland !)

My other concern is that you would not be keeping him that far away from the horse he does not want to be separated from, that cause big issues if they start shouting out to each other.

Perhaps time to really think how much you would feel cheated if you saw a new owner riding him out and about when he could have been yours?

Just edited to say I was considering getting a smaller slimmer horse next spring when I hope to be riding again, then it dawned on me I can trust my big chap 100 per cent on the narrow lanes with big farm machinery and he is a very safe but forward going hack. Feeling safe is a huge thing for me.