Would you get your horse stuffed?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Does anyone remember the fairy story where a girl has a talking horse and someone cuts the horse's head off and it is mounted an a wall outside (maybe over a gateway or archway?) only the horse still talks to her. She or someone else confesses things to a stovepipe (seriously what a mad story) and the horse then sorts things out despite only being a head and a bit of neck at this point.

This thread made me think of it anyway... I guess because some people don't stuff the whole animal, they just do the head and neck. A solution for those short of space maybe? :D :p

Pinkvboots

Visit site
No it's not for me! I am sure the saddlery shop in Epping had a stuffed dun in the window it used to creep me out it looked pretty moth eaten as well.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Absolutely a big fat no from me. Just the thought of taxidermy turns my stomach and I find it really creepy personally.

I can appreciate that other people may have very different views to me though & find a great deal of comfort or beauty in the art of taxidermy.

Pippity

Visit site
My son, when a bit younger asked if he could have his pony turned into a rug - a la traditional tiger skins etc (!!) when she died...I couldn't quite face a taxidermed loved one but I could sort of see the point of a well cured skin (pony was a very beautiful piebald). Not sure how I would feel about it in reality though...

I'd be reasonably happy for someone else to make use of Blue's hide. I couldn't do it myself, though.

palo1

Visit site
I'd be reasonably happy for someone else to make use of Blue's hide. I couldn't do it myself, though.

I think, for me, having something that was once so full of life and character, being lifeless would be tricky - when I remember my animals it is their quality as live beings that is so comforting. I think no matter how beautiful a skin or stuffed animal would make me sad. I think representation is easier to deal with than that kind of transformation!! Very glad I have paintings and other images of the ones I love :)

Mule

Visit site
Not for me. It's the personality that means something to me. Once the animal is dead then there is nothing left imo. I have land so I've always buried them. I'd find it creepy but each to their own.

PurBee

Visit site
I wouldnt personally just because its a load of hassle to upkeep/maintain.

I have memories of people/animals that have died, they suffice for me. A cat’s whisker, mane hair is about as far as i go for having physical reminders, but they were only found while they were alive, rather than having them as rememberance after death.

However, a garden full of stuffed animals as statues, having been soaked in weatherproof epoxy, would be like an installation art piece - i’d see the novelty in that.

McFluff

Visit site
Not for me. If it helps others, then great, but I don't like the idea.

I would consider getting a rocking horse made in the colours of mine though (made out of wood, no skin).

I have paintings of all of mine, framed and next to my desk.

SOS

Visit site
I really wanted my ponies skeleton or skull. From a veterinary background and fascinated by such things. However when I looked into getting it all done the money is a lot and even finding someone to do it is hard to come by.

I wouldn’t have him stuffed as have always found stuffed animals very creepy. It’s the life and muscle and minute movements you have to make something real that makes it beautiful. When you take that away it becomes very plain even with a beautiful coat on.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
My sister and I once visited a very weird and rather macabre shop were they sold furniture and ornaments made from animal parts . There were the obvious rugs , antler coat hooks , hoof inkwells etc but also things like furniture with actual animals feet . My sister had wandered off and I eventually found her staring thoughtfully at a wooden coffee table with a horses leg at each corner .
" Are you thinking you could do that with Roo ( her ancient , crocked horse ) when he pops his clogs ? " I asked
" No " she replied " I was just thinking that if I did that with Roo's legs , everything would just slide off it " .

Last edited: