XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

maisie06

Visit site
I'm just shocked that adult men are happy to have themselves filmed being dragged around like that. It's cringeworthy.

Show us some control/heeling etc rather than proving you have the all training ability/command over dogs of a wet sock....
Exactly - they just look like morons....I'm impressed by a shepherd handling multiple sheepdogs, a gundog working for it's handler - a GSD or mallinois doing tracking or obediece - or even just a relaxed well trained pet dog heeling at it's owners side - I'm NOT impressed by fat chavs being dragged around by meat missiles on steroids...

Arzada

Visit site
I'm just shocked that adult men are happy to have themselves filmed being dragged around like that. It's cringeworthy.
It's amazing how people are towed around even by lightweight dogs. I'd say it's more the norm than a dog walking on a loose lead. In pole position are spaniels even the weedy modern versions. The latest being a lightweight black one out with its family with the lead held by the man. Basically hardly able to breathe while walking against its collar it sounded worse than a brachycephalic dog having a tough time breathing. I feel so very sorry for the dogs.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's amazing how people are towed around even by lightweight dogs. I'd say it's more the norm than a dog walking on a loose lead. In pole position are spaniels even the weedy modern versions. The latest being a lightweight black one out with its family with the lead held by the man. Basically hardly able t breathe while walking against its collar it sounded worse than a brachycephalic dog having a tough time breathing. I feel so very sorry for the dogs.
Don't people train their dogs? I mean, I have a VERY enthusiastic lurcher teenager that would pull like a draft horse if I let her. Work in progress, but she is pretty good, while she remembers.

Clodagh

Visit site
Don't people train their dogs? I mean, I have a VERY enthusiastic lurcher teenager that would pull like a draft horse if I let her. Work in progress, but she is pretty good, while she remembers.
No, you no longer have to train your dogs, or your children, or even yourself, in any form of impulse control. #YOLO. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

I'm Dun

Visit site

Same. My youngster got a rush of hormones and started pulling like a train intermittently, usually in the presence of squirrel or deer. Until his brains were retrieved he went into a harness and we did remedial work. Hes a 20kg whippet and was more than capable of pulling me about like a rag doll and it was awful.

marmalade76

Visit site
It's the eyes that creep me out, that cold stare...It's not so much the colour even as I like collies and huskies and they can have light eyes, but XL's are more reptilian and emotionless

My collie has perfectly normal dog eyes! The only other animal she makes me think of is a fox and as much as I dislike their hen murdering activities, I have to admit they are beautiful.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
No, you no longer have to train your dogs, or your children, or even yourself, in any form of impulse control. #YOLO. 🤦‍♀️
Oh pants, you mean I've wasted the last 4 weeks since getting my puppy?
Shall I uninstall the sit, wait, heel, give, leave it, go wees, go poo's, and get off the flipping cat instructions? 🤔😉
🤣🤣

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Oh pants, you mean I've wasted the last 4 weeks since getting my puppy?
Shall I uninstall the sit, wait, heel, give, leave it, go wees, go poo's, and get off the flipping cat instructions? 🤔😉
🤣🤣
My goodness !!! Why on earth would you train a puppy, what a waste of time getting some basic behaviour training installed, especially if it’s a friendly pup , you just tell people that and their dogs won’t attack it when it’s hanging off their ears 😁😁😁

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Big massive multicoloured thing the size of a small pony with no ears being walked past my house this morning.

However, *that* was not the dog that lost its absolute shit. Mortified......
Oops. To be fair to your dog, might he/she be feeling somewhat protective towards his/her currently dot and carry one owner? Protecting you?

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Oops. To be fair to your dog, might he/she be feeling somewhat protective towards his/her currently dot and carry one owner? Protecting you?

She's an absolute horror at home because a spaniel jumped in over the wall and chased her around the garden when she was very young/in the imprinting phase. Because of the set up of my house, it's high hedges on both sides and looking out on a public path, so she can sense someone coming before I can, starts gobbing off, then they pass by and disappear, so she thinks she has repelled an invasion each time. It's a very tough one to crack because she knows someone is coming before I do (so I have no time to intervene/redirect) and the behaviour is self-fulfilling each time.

malwhit

Visit site
I could never understood why XL Bullies didn't come under the pitbull-type which has been banned for decades. They just look like pitbulls on steroids.

Most of the ones I've met have had good temperaments, which is a good thing as the owners had no control of them😡

I dont understand why owners are so upset & are rehoming their dogs to Scotland or have handed them in to rescue. If it became law that Whippets or Labradoodles went onto a banned list with these restrictions, I'd rather have them neutered, muzzled and kept on a lead in public than taken in by the police or rehoming them.

The worrying thing is what will become the next "in" breed with ex Bully owners/breeders. I have noticed more litters for sale for Caucasian, Anatolians & other LGD breeds or crosses. They are used to fight off wolves and bears & for dog fighting - so probably not the best dog for 99.9% of people

nikicb

www.facebook.com

My goodness !!! Why on earth would you train a puppy, what a waste of time getting some basic behaviour training installed, especially if it’s a friendly pup , you just tell people that and their dogs won’t attack it when it’s hanging off their ears 😁😁😁

Oh you mean I could have had a lie in this morning instead of taking my almost 8 month old BT to his (our!) training class? He is very very friendly, and that is one of the reasons I want to invest the time in training him. However cute he is, I absolutely want him to learn that he can't go running up to people/other dogs and leap all over them.

On the XL bully theme, I was in town yesterday afternoon, and there was a very large powerful looking dog, not as thick set as some of the XLs that you see in the media reports, but definitely had some similarities to the type. However, I don't know enough about similar dog breeds to know what it was. Sorry I don't like using the term 'it' for an animal, but I wasn't close enough/it wasn't at the right angle to tell the sex. It was tied by its lead to a bench in our high street, wearing a muzzle, but as far as I could tell had no person with it. 10 minutes later I saw a young lady walking the dog, so I can only assume she had left it to go into a shop. I don't like seeing dogs tied up outside shops at the best of times, mainly because I worry someone will steal them, but that's another story. I am guessing she hadn't done anything 'wrong' as such - not sure what the laws are about leaving dogs tied up, and it was walking sensibly on the lead, but this just made me feel really uncomfortable for some reason.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
It's probably better for everyone including the dog to leave it tied up outside if the owner needs to go into a shop

Oh, I totally get that if she needed to go into a shop, not all of them are welcoming of dogs, and being in an enclosed space would not necessarily be the best thing anyway. It just concerned me that there were lots of people around, including kids on scooters/bikes etc. as it was after school time, and as I said it just made me feel uncomfortable. I am the first to admit, that as much as I love my dogs, I am wary of dogs I don't know. Plus I think the current media reporting does make one more aware of dogs out in public at the moment, if that makes sense. It was more of an observation really, than a criticism. I would hate for dogs to become unwelcome in our town as there seem to be plenty of them, and lots of our shops/cafes allow them in.