XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

Chucho

Visit site
The smaller could be an Olde English Bulldogge - which is an American breed of bulldog. They say the other is an American bulldog: https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american-bulldog/ It looks like one. I'm not sure how they're related or not to pibbles.

ETA: a quick google suggests that ABs are bigger than APBTs and don't have terrier in the their breeding. Their taller dog isn't that typey for an AB on that basis. I'd be surprised if ABs are that common in the UK??? But if they are bigger than APBT but structurally not dissimilar then they could be confused with XLB on sight.

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Can you elaborate? What makes them not XL/pitbull type?
Because they don’t look the right type. The smaller looks like an American bulldog, the bigger a mastiff type. Rather proves my point about the average police officer being unable to spot one! I don’t think either is an xl. Do you?

Don’t reckon either is an English bulldog, it doesn’t seem to be anything like one of those.

*Disclaimer: I am no expert on breeds.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Because they don’t look the right type. The smaller looks like an American bulldog, the bigger a mastiff type. Rather proves my point about the average polic3 officer being unable to spot one! I don’t think either is an xl. Do you?
I think that these dogs are all of pitbull type, the niceties of any of them being XL or not is just obfuscation. None of them are recognised differentiated "breeds" with properly kept studbooks and breed standards or regulation for conformation or temperament. And all of them appear over and over again on lists of dogs that have attacked and killed. So do huskies and Jack Russells, but as one-offs, not repeat offenders.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
and? There's lots of breeds all over the world that the UK KC don't recognised, doesn't mean they aren't breeds without records/pedigrees/standards?
Yeah, but rather different ones, and I'm afraid I'm not impressed with what happens in America with regards to standards, particularly in dog (and cat) breeding. Also we're not in America.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I've seen a lot of the sort of dog on the left over the years. It was my area's new staffie about ten years ago. I don't think it's an xl type. I remember being trapped in the kids' play area by one because the owner ignored me asking for it to be recalled and Zak was very unhappy.

Interesting that we have different perspectives re what is/what isn't an xl. How on earth are the police supposed to make decisions? As pp, I think there are other things afoot in the case linked.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mordant sarcasm, eh? Grand, but missing the point. What may be fine in America (murderous temperament) doesn't have any bearing on what is acceptable here. I believe that most people would prefer not to be savaged by dogs.
see I thought your point was that they weren't a breed, not that they were savage. Not sure our KC is that great either.

Murderous temperament doesn't feature in the breed standard in the US either FWIW.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've seen a lot of the sort of dog on the left over the years. It was my area's new staffie about ten years ago. I don't think it's an xl type. I remember being trapped in the kids' play area by one because the owner ignored me asking for it to be recalled and Zak was very unhappy.

Interesting that we have different perspectives re what is/what isn't an xl. How on earth are the police supposed to make decisions? As pp, I think there are other things afoot in the case linked.
My point, which I'm not getting across very well, is that they are all derivatives of the pitbull - incidentally also banned - and quibbling over whether a dog is xl or not is to my mind not actually all that relevant, although I'm sure that that is what people will be hung up upon.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A pitbull and all its crosses are banned than now has been broadened specify the XLB.
Those 2 dogs are derivatives of pitbulls so they would have been banned before the XLB was explicitly stated.
But I didn’t think the new rules mention crosses and to me, the left one looks like a mastiff, the right could be an English bulldog cross/boxer cross, neither of which are mentioned in the rules. Again, who gets to decide when it’s ‘of type’?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I had a look for the original post, it was on XL bully local community/Help & Advice but has now been deleted as she is apparently now getting help.

Equi

Visit site
They don’t look xl or pit type to me (they do look as what they’re described) but why on earth would they have let them have pups. This is why there is so much grey in the bull world. Because these idiots keep breeding random bull types to other bull types and then you have the xl bully as the outcome.