Yard rule for wearing hi viz

paddy555

Visit site
So I always firmly (obviously without actually thinking about it) believed that if you had high viz on aircraft would attempt to avoid or rise up if very low.... I happened to say this in conversation to a RAF wife recently, it amused her ?‍♀️

I said this to my neighbour who had a leisure helicopter. It was at the time of asking if he was having a jolly flying over us could he possibly either go up or around us. He said he had enough trouble looking upwards for obstales so didn't notice us below him. :D

teddypops

Visit site
So I always firmly (obviously without actually thinking about it) believed that if you had high viz on aircraft would attempt to avoid or rise up if very low.... I happened to say this in conversation to a RAF wife recently, it amused her ?‍♀️
Really? I remember reading an article from the RAF which said they would try to avoid riders and wearing hi viz was the correct thing to do so they could see them.

FFAQ

Visit site
Will you please stop laughing. For those of us who learned fifty years ago, that was the required wear!

?

I am hacking 1000 miles in a side saddle habit this year to raise money for Equine Grass Sickness Fund, and even though it looks odd with a habit i still wear a tabard and body protector and a proper riding helmet rather than a bowler if i'm riding. If i'm walking in hand i lose the body protector and swap the hat for a bowler and veil. I feel like a twit but it's a fun way to raise money for charity! Both of my side saddle horses are predominantly black so tgey wear hi vis too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Unfortunately there are very many “WAGS” who think they know everything about everything from snippets of information
I think to be fair her OH flies planes, pretty fast ones from what I can gather, her explanation was that if/by the time the pilot saw a horse it would be too late to take any action. I think I may have just put all aircraft into one bracket, seems helicopters are different!

Abi90

Visit site
I think to be fair her OH flies planes, pretty fast ones from what I can gather, her explanation was that if/by the time the pilot saw a horse it would be too late to take any action. I think I may have just put all aircraft into one bracket, seems helicopters are different!

That’s the problem. Her husband flies planes, not her. So that’s true if you’re not wearing hi viz because by the time they would see you, it would be too late so they will just fly over as it makes less noise. If you are wearing hi viz they are more likely to see you early enough to avoid you, even fast jets. It sounds like she’s misinterpreted the information she’s been given tbh.

It’s not guaranteed but more likely.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Yes, it's a rule for our yard - I think we state at least one piece on rider and one piece on horse. We have direct off road access too. What's it to my YO? Given as she's our ICE it's likely it'll be her that has to either scoop me off the road or catch my horse, I'd say it's her perogrative. Doesn't bother me as I wear more than one piece on me as does my horse.

shamrock2021

Visit site
My current yard nope there is no rule and I am the only one that wares hi viz everyone else doesn’t ware one . in my previous yard yeah they were strict about it .

Flicker

Visit site
My yard, yes because it is also a riding school. The other day, similar to roxylola I came across two riders on a very bright afternoon. They and their horses were bedecked in lovely matchy hi viz and by god it made a difference for me as a driver - they stood out miles away. Compared to the idiot all in black on a dapple grey we came across while on holiday in Dorset a few years ago riding down a lane with trees on both sides ?‍♀️ Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak would have been less effective...

HashRouge

Visit site
Or even earlier in the day. This was a lovely, sunny bright winter’s day. The lead rider was wearing a hi viz tabard. They were concealed by the very dark shadow of the hedge. I spotted the shadows of the horses on the road before I saw the horses themselves.
View attachment 62592
View attachment 62593
I'm amazed when I see people riding out in this sort of light. Visibility is so poor, I'd rather not ride or stick to completely off road routes than take the risk.

I think the yard hi viz rule is quite a good one. I've never been on a yard where it was mandatory but wouldn't have an issue if it was. I have to wear hi viz on my current share horse (owner's rule) but tbh I almost always do of my own accord anyway. I used to ride out a lot with my YO and her daughter when I had my first ever loan pony (I was 10) and it was a non-negotiable, and the habit has stuck. I've got a tabard for the summer and a big yellow builder's jacket for the winter. I used to wear more when I rode out as a teenager but we had a lot more road work then. Where I hack now there is really only one quiet country lane (very little traffic) and one busier road that I cross occasionally but don't ride on. We have quite good bridleways round here - we're lucky.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've known it be a rule - they also kept a collection of cheap tabards in the tack room.
That YO would definitely be one of the older set too but as well as safety concerns thought it reflected badly on the yard and on riders as a whole if it wasn't worn.

This was how a previous yard I was on operated, first time I'd been on a yard that was bothered and really liked it although the YO was not one of the older set.

FourLeafClover

Visit site
Some really interesting responses, thanks everyone.
For a bit more information - myself and my partner are the yard owners and run it together, he disagrees that compulsory hi viz should be a yard rule. He is quite ‘traditional’ and would personally would not wear it if he was riding out unless on main roads which influences his views, but does not think it’s fair to dictate to people what they wear off the premises.
We live in a rural area with little road traffic and a lot of the more local hacking/short routes are bridleways and byways, on the 2-3 hour rides we have to directly cross a main but quiet-ish country road. There are lots of dog walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists and other riders (very horsey area and the majority wear hi viz).
I’m probably more risk averse and see first hand the benefits of wearing hi viz as I now do more hacking than him. I also know it will be us that is called if there is an accident - which is less likely if motorist/dog walkers etc can see you coming. I see it as at worst a minor inconvenience if someone wouldn’t normally wear it - and at best something which could keep someone safe. Seems to be a very sensible rule to me but I’m not getting through...

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Or even earlier in the day. This was a lovely, sunny bright winter’s day. The lead rider was wearing a hi viz tabard. They were concealed by the very dark shadow of the hedge. I spotted the shadows of the horses on the road before I saw the horses themselves.
View attachment 62592
View attachment 62593
This is a great example showing that not all hi viz is equal. Some riders wear ancient or dirty hi viz which is virtually useless. Recently, out hacking we saw the postman in such a dazzling bright orange hi viz jacket that my horse did a double take and danced across the road in shock. I need one of those.
Our yard doesn't have a hi viz rule, but the regular hackers always wear it however there are some riders who prefer to look stylish in black jackets. Not sure being squashed on the road is a good look though.

teapot

Visit site
Some really interesting responses, thanks everyone.
For a bit more information - myself and my partner are the yard owners and run it together, he disagrees that compulsory hi viz should be a yard rule. He is quite ‘traditional’ and would personally would not wear it if he was riding out unless on main roads which influences his views, but does not think it’s fair to dictate to people what they wear off the premises.
We live in a rural area with little road traffic and a lot of the more local hacking/short routes are bridleways and byways, on the 2-3 hour rides we have to directly cross a main but quiet-ish country road. There are lots of dog walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists and other riders (very horsey area and the majority wear hi viz).
I’m probably more risk averse and see first hand the benefits of wearing hi viz as I now do more hacking than him. I also know it will be us that is called if there is an accident - which is less likely if motorist/dog walkers etc can see you coming. I see it as at worst a minor inconvenience if someone wouldn’t normally wear it - and at best something which could keep someone safe. Seems to be a very sensible rule to me but I’m not getting through...

Ask your partner how he'll feel if he had to give evidence in court regarding a serious accident/death of a livery client, and some barrister starts grilling him over yard policies re high viz...

I had to do jury service for a death by careless driving case (motorbike vs car) a few years ago. I will never forget how the witnesses and accused were questioned, especially over clothing and visibility. It's something that has stuck with me to this day.

Last edited:

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Interesting thread, I personally believe that we should wear Hi Viz for the following reasons:

It to a degree cuts the legs out from under a driver who argues -" I didn't see you!" if you can prove that yourself and horse are suitably Hi Vizzed every time you ride out. Although I do agree that some people think that because they are wearing a dirty pink tabard it makes it safe to ride out on unlit country lanes in the dark. There are two components to hi viz - the visibility of the material in daylight/poor light and the reflectiveness of the hi viz when an external light source illuminates it (car headlight).

It enables the farm workers to see me when I'm within the yards farm/fields and makes life simpler in that I don't come face to face with a combine harvester on a narrow track or that they can refrain from turning on agricultural machinery until I'm clear.

It allows aircraft to see me.

If the horse and I part company he can be seen.

Should I be injured I can be seen more easily particularly if Air Ambulance etc are involved.

I often ride down a byeway it allows other users - mountain bikers, 4x4 off roaders and Trail bikes to see me and plan accordingly so we can share the space with minimum inconvenience to each other, we often get cheery comments from trail bikers, who have pulled off the track and are waiting for us at a wide part that they could see us from miles away.

With regards to it being a yard rule, you might find that it is part of the yards risk management and mitigation plan that helps reduce their insurance cost and in turn our livery cost. I rode at a yard where the rule was body protectors and safety stirrups at all times because the owners had had to fight a costly legal battle over a personal injury claim brought by a client and the only way that they could get future insurance cover was to make them mandatory.

I would welcome Hi Viz being a requirement for insurance purposes, it shows that you are behaving responsibly and are acting reduce a known risk.

I understand that people from a different generation might not like hi viz because they didn't wear it as children, but the world has changed and we need to take responsibility for our own actions - This is a bit like people arguing about wearing car seat belts being an infringement of personal liberty despite the obvious benefits

crazyandme

Visit site
View attachment 62592
View attachment 62593

These pictures show exactly why I always used a bright pink exercise sheet on Reg (similar to roxylola)! As well as pink ears, as they both stand out insanely well against the hedges. Only time I didn't use the rug was in the middle of summer as the poor horse would have sweated far too much under it for it to have been fair, I would have loved a parsons rump to have used instead, but didn't own one unfortunately at the time.
I did have a tabbard I always wore as well, but in comparison to Reg that was not at all eye catching

pansymouse

Visit site
Have observed helicopters take quite urgent avoidance action when riding in the vicinity of salisbury plain :p.

I ride on Salisbury Plain and know this happen. My neighbour is an Apache instructor and he teaches his students to avoid livestock and riders but says they can't see you soon enough if you're not wearing hi viz. I also wear hi viz on the Plain because if I come off badly it's easier for the air ambulance to find me.

zandp

Visit site
It's a rule at our yard, think the rule says - think being decked out like Rihanna in the S&M video !!

I always wear it, I have a friend who thinks it makes her look chavvy so refuses !!

pansymouse

Visit site
These pics are why I like roadworkers hi viz, rather than equestrian! My orange polo shits/fleece bodywarmer have socking great reflective strips all over them, which catch the sunlight, so you can see it, even when the sun is bright!

I've just changed from yellow to orange after a discussion with the Health and Safety Manager at work who explained that orange can be see in bright and low light where as yellow is effective in low light only (and pink in bright light). We have a large work force who work on the roadside and they all wear orange uniform.

Leandy

Visit site
There are ways and means though! As an adult, I object to being told what to do. I will make my own decisions thank you based on my risk tolerance and circumstances, which may well not the same as yours or other peoples. There is no harm at all however with providing advice. So if I was a yard owner, I would be advising rather than telling.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It's a rule at my yard, although I would wear it anyway because the road into the country park is narrow and busy. There have been a few instances where someone hasn't worn it, and a driver phoned the yard to b1tch. We're not the only yard who uses those roads, but in the one case I know of, one of our riders was definitely the perp. That road is popular with ninja cyclists. It doesn't need ninja horse riders.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've just changed from yellow to orange after a discussion with the Health and Safety Manager at work who explained that orange can be see in bright and low light where as yellow is effective in low light only (and pink in bright light). We have a large work force who work on the roadside and they all wear orange uniform.
I agree that yellow is not always the best choice. I mix and match my hi viz in yellow and orange (V bandz two tone leg bands and mesh quarter sheet), plus various other hi viz bits inc hat band, breast plate and ears.

Mind you, this is the same as we were wearing when nearly rear ended by the driving instructor driving his learner car last year, and visibility was perfect that day - bright but overcast, if that makes sense :rolleyes:.

0E388F57-F96A-4CE7-9849-4E8D35E6E592.jpeg

I go one better - my construction hi viz has red lights at the back and white lights at the front. Only cost £20 too ?. The cycling version by the same company costs £80!! :eek:
In the dash cam pics I posted earlier of the horses in shade in winter sun, I think that lights as well as proper hi viz would have been the best option to show up in those very deep shadows.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There are ways and means though! As an adult, I object to being told what to do. I will make my own decisions thank you based on my risk tolerance and circumstances, which may well not the same as yours or other peoples. There is no harm at all however with providing advice. So if I was a yard owner, I would be advising rather than telling.
And as a yard owner, I’d be telling you to jog on off my yard in your camouflage gear and get splatted somewhere else so I don’t have to scrape the bits off the road.